Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

San Antonio to Laconia and back

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 07:59 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
I was there a few years ago and it only rained once at 3am. The rest of the time was awesome riding.
Besides the KANC they close Mt Washington for two days during the rally to bikes only, must do. Also, they'll have a ride to Arundel, ME for Lobster dinner at BENTLEYS Saloon. Looks like on Sun Jun 10th..
Every night there's free live music and different places at WEIRS beach.
Check out everything under: http://laconiamcweek.com/

The Laconia Rally News letter has all the events by dates: http://laconiamcweek.com/wp-content/...News2018Sm.pdf

No Cuts/Colors along Weirs Beach..
Don't Speed in the area...

Breakfast at PAULI's on Main St in TILTON is a must!

for Tail of Dragon I highly recommend Iron Horse Lodge, bikers only place and onsite restaurant you can sign up for dinner and breakfast ahead of time and it will be waiting for you!. But you better get reservation there now unless you're gonna tent camp! It's a great kickoff spot for TOD and area.. don't forget the Cherohala Skyway...

Also recommend Hwy 81 from Asheville (See Biltmore estate) all the way to Binghamton NY then 88 to Albany and 9 across Vermont mountains and into Keene, NH and over to Concord and then up 93 to Laconia area...stay away from NY city, ..

bentley's Lobster dinner

Atop Mt Washington
that is some good info thanks

Old 05-19-2018, 06:02 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

When did the no cuts or colors at Weirs beach start?

Old 05-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,004 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Lots of great info here----I can,t give you much from San Antonio to Georgia ,but from Georgia up I,ll weigh in
Depending on what time you pass through-try staying at Copperhead Lodge in Blairsville Ga[Northwest-]
Head up 19 to 74 to 129----this will take you to Dragon,do it then turn around do it opposite direction to Moonshiner 28 to 19 to Maggie Valley
If Time permitted I,d send you on Wayah rd to Franklin and up,not sure if there,s enough time. From Maggie Valley[hit Wheels through Time] check hrs of operation
Get on BRP in Maggie Valley,or head back and get on in Cherokee[your Choice] head to Little Switzerland and 226A is there. My opinion after this part of BRP I,d jump on 81n
near Roanoke Va. You can go through Gettysburg next if it,s something that interest you-then 81 to 88 to Vt9 to Nh9 To 93N -----there are many ways to get to Bikeweek from there,seeing as there are 3 areas of Laconia -1-Meredith Harley 2 Weirs Beach 3 Loudon Racetrack-------there are many camping area nearby,but mind you things are spread out---Broken Spoke camping may be your best bet for entertainment and camping for couple nights---I only live 1 1/2 away so I never stay---we go north to North Conway and stay and ride couple days then head to Maine coast and hit Bentleys saloon before heading home.While in NH ,take 25n to 109 and take 109 to Sanford Maine 4 to Alfred and 111 to Biddeford to 1 s Arundel [Bentleys] they have a campground--usually full on weekends--another day loop is 3n to 112 The Kanc[in Lincoln] to 16n to Mt Washington auto road then 2 w to 115 to 302 to N Conway 25 back to Meredith
I,d say you have roughly 6 days around Laconia with Traveling taking up the rest of your time-----when heading back take 2 to Burlington Vt and ferry across Lake Champlain or take 4 To Lake George area and ride through the Adirondacks either route -then onto Finger Lakes area then head south through Pa to West Virginia[beautiful riding there] and I,d head to Arkansas for some riding before heading home

Enjoy the trip--take pics and let us know how the trip went-------I,ll be at bike week 1st 3 days then 3 more in Maine---I,m sure we,ll cross paths

Last edited by Rocker NH; 05-19-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:18 AM
NowHere Man
Intermediate
Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

I second riding the Kanc. If you want to get "out there" then peel north off the Kanc on to Bear Notch Road to head up towards Mt Washington. Bear Notch is a small side road about 20 miles or so before you would get to Conway (assuming you are heading west to east). Mt Washington is a great ride. Bear Notch will get you away from the crowd if you like that sort of riding. Mt Washingto is likely to be crowded and put on your leathers at the bottom, regardless of how warm it is before you go up. Just a suggestion.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:37 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts

Mt Washington is closed to bike only on Thursday and another day, check the website. That is the day to go, we did it once with cars, not cool. They cage drivers are so damn scared they will not move over, makes for a very interesting ride. The road is sketchy enough, do not need cars.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:17 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

looks like i will be doing this trip. Im going to be leaving Wed june 6th and plan to be back wed June 20. I am just trying to figure out where to stay while I am there. I still want to camp. looks like a lot of the small campgrounds close to Weirs are booked. There are some state parks that are pretty close that I will look into. I am going to ride up there and back and my wife is going to fly to Boston Tuesday 12th and fly back home friday. She rented a car too, so thats good.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:59 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Look heading back down 3 from Laconia towards Tilton, NH

Old 05-31-2018, 07:14 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,004 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
looks like i will be doing this trip. Im going to be leaving Wed june 6th and plan to be back wed June 20. I am just trying to figure out where to stay while I am there. I still want to camp. looks like a lot of the small campgrounds close to Weirs are booked. There are some state parks that are pretty close that I will look into. I am going to ride up there and back and my wife is going to fly to Boston Tuesday 12th and fly back home friday. She rented a car too, so thats good.

There are like 5 of them on 104 out of New Hampton to Meredith --takes you away from area about 10 miles ,but still close enough

Old 06-01-2018, 10:32 AM
sclboud64
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-01-2018, 10:55 AM
Christopherw.kline
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Hell Hound,

As a member from New Hampshire, you won't be disappointed when arriving to the North East. Similar to lots of places in the South, many of the state highways and county roads afford you tons of turns, and great scenery. Many of the previous members have already mentioned some definite do's of the trip including riding the Kancamagus Highway. Laconia itself is nicely situated roughly an hour from the coast, so if you want to check out Route 1A in New Hampshire and Maine, there are some great spots where you ride next to the Atlantic as well. As for camping, there are still lots of places that will afford it, but nothing right off the highway like it was in the 60's and 70's. Here is a good link to check out. http://laconiamcweek.com/campgrounds/. If you are willing to do a little detour on the way home, check out Vermont's Green Mountains, and upstate NY, they are both excellent for riding. Tons of hills, mountains, and windy roads. I hope this helps, and enjoy your trip. Laconia is worth the journey.

-Teach

Quick Reply: San Antonio to Laconia and back