Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

San Antonio to Laconia and back

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 06:48 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

well we kind of changed directions on camping we booked a camp site at White lake State park for checking in tuesday and leaving Friday. It is a little farther north than I was originally thinking but it looks amazing and the camp site is in view of the lake. Also it was super cheap, $25 a day vs. private campgrounds in weirs beach that are very expensive.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

You,ll love that Place----Make sure to stop at Yankee Smokehouse at least once- we,re only 20 miles north of there Fri-Sunday , then we go to the Maine coast for 3 days

So you expect to get to Laconia Tuesday? You will have to get one of the riding maps at the Harley dealer for suggested routes[they,re free]

Another route you could take for a nice ride from that area is go to Conway turn on 153 -head south to 109 -take that back to 25 in Moultonboro area---or 109-28 n -16 n

You can take 16 -28 to 11 in Alton and make your way to Weirs Beach that way also--------From Laconia area 107 to 202/9/4[same road for awhile] to 126 to 28 to 11 is another scenic ride----of course everything north of you is great also-----weather permitting Mt Washington Auto Road is probably a must as well as 112 [Kanc]

I believe the Auto Road is $20 per Bike[fyi]

Enjoy-take pics and give us a write up of your trip

Old 06-03-2018, 06:34 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,926 Likes on 2,566 Posts

They are doing a 1/4 mile hill climb, vintage bikes, in the Weirs on Tuesday. New event, Tower Street Hill Climb. I would consider it a must see, small asphalt road right in town closed off for shenanigans, what could be better.

http://laconiamcweek.com/event/hill-...-new-for-2018/

Old 06-03-2018, 07:13 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
They are doing a 1/4 mile hill climb, vintage bikes, in the Weirs on Tuesday. New event, Tower Street Hill Climb. I would consider it a must see, small asphalt road right in town closed off for shenanigans, what could be better.

http://laconiamcweek.com/event/hill-...-new-for-2018/

I saw that. I was planning on making it.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:21 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,926 Likes on 2,566 Posts

First year in 20 I am not going, and they have an event like this!?!?!?!? I would be calling people to get my '46 in that event.

Ahhh can't be everywhere. Enjoy.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:56 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

im back home and had a great trip!
I will post up some pictures and comments soon
thanks everyone for all the good advise

Old 06-22-2018, 09:24 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

So this trip was great. It was 15 days, 5000 miles and included a lot of camping. I have takin a lot of road trip but this one I did it like I always wished I could. By that I mean I took a lot of time to goof around, camp , take short hikes and ride the roads i really want to. I took as many back roads as I could and used the interstate from time to time when I needed.

Im going make a few posts breaking down the trip with a few pictures to follow.

So here are the first 3 days

day 1 was basically a traveling day. I rode 79 from just outside of Austin all day and spent the night in Pine Bluff, ARK. 79 is a great traveling road and was much more enjoyable than going through Dallas and Texarkana on the interstates. This was about 500 mile day. Not too much happened this day just good traveling. got a cheap motel

day 2 I rode still on 79 all the way to Memphis were I got on 64 and rode that across the state. This is the day it started to feel like a real trip. Once I got close to Chatanooga it really started to feel nice. I was tired so I looked up places to camp close by and randomly found Foster falls South Cumberland state park. It was easy to book the camp site right from my phone and I think it was like $18 to camp there. This was a great campground. I hiked down to the waterfalls right before dark. Oh i ate a freeze dried chicken rice and beans that night that i had gotten at a camping store back home and it was terrible but at the time was just what i needed. this was about 500 mile day

day 3 the real vacation started. I had bought this jet boil stove that had a coffee press that came with it. This proved to be the best purchase for the trip. It let me have my coffee and some oatmeal before i started the day, so instead of rushing to pack up camp in the morning i got to enjoy some real coffee and honestly the oatmeal is just enough to knock off the hunger after the coffee. This day was amazing. I rode into N. carolina on 64/74 and rode all along the Ococee river and came up from the south and ended up setting up camp at deals gap tail of the dragon. $15 to camp and had access to the store and restraunt, showers and everything. This was a great day too. I rode the dragon a few times that afternoon and was exhausted by the end of the day. At this camp ground I meet a lot of cool people. A father son camping dou from Canada that ride the Blue ridge Parkway once a year and camp the whole way. An older man that was camping there for 3 days and mostly liked watching the bikes and people come in.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 06-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Looking great so far----keep the pics coming!!!

Old 06-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Willi
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great trip! Thanks for sharing and keep it coming. Really sounds like you did it right.

Quick Reply: San Antonio to Laconia and back