Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

San Antonio to Laconia and back

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default San Antonio to Laconia and back

I am considering going to laconia bike week this year. I would be riding from San Antonio and I assume at this point since it is so last minute i will be riding solo. Its 4000 round trip. That is going direct. I am looking for general advise on the routes there and back. I would like to go and come back different ways. I have never been to the north east so I want to soak up as much as possible. Also looking for general must see, must do things in Laconia. Also where to stay that is fun and close to the action, would like to camp. I try to stay off interstates as much as possible but will use them if needed or for straight traveling days.

The only thing I know I what to do on the way up is tail of the dragon, Ashville and part of the Blue ridge park way, so will be going up that way and wound come back another way. Any other must do things in this area?

I would give my self 2 weeks total. That is the max I can do.

Also how is the weather up there in mid June.

I don't even know if I will be able to go but its looking good

Things I have been told to check out at Laconia are hill climbs,weirs beach,top of mount Washington, covered bridges, New Hampshire motor speed way, Meredeth HD.

Last edited by hell hound; 05-16-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:54 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

What are the best parts of the blue ridge?

Last edited by hell hound; 05-16-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts

I’ll be keeping my eye on this because I would like to do that rally one day.
I can only tell you about going from Houston area to dragon. My riding style is similar as I like to stay off interstate and sometimes travel late at night.
I also went in September not june. I went up to interstate 20 a little in Louisiana from US59. Cut up to Arkansas into Mississippi and the Natchez trace up to a great US highway in southern Tennessee. Good old US 64 in Tennessee! It’s nice. Then for some speed the interstate thru Chattanooga and then blue ridge parkway and dragon.
I went solo and glad I went. It’s worth it once.
Only issue to point out is the mix mash of interstates in Chattanooga: you got 4 major interstates meeting in one spot and it was pretty good “thrill”

Old 05-17-2018, 03:37 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
What are the best parts of the blue ridge?
In my opinion, the best part of the BRP is the part from Ashville north to the NC/VA border. Spectacular overlooks through the Smokies and Blue Ridge. With all due respect to my home state, the part in VA is not as impressive.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:14 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,549 Posts

If doing Tail of the Dragon, go to Maggie Valley and stop off at Wheels thru Time motorcycle museum. Must see.

Weather is very unpredictable up there, plan for cold and rain and be happy if the sun comes out and stays out. You could see low 40's or even 30's at night, be prepared if camping. Hill climb is a must see for sure.

You seem to have the highlights for the Laconia area, Weirs Beach is the center of the rally, not Laconia, different town. Weird but true. Things are kind of spread out up there, Laconia HD is actually to the north in Meredith. Mount Washington is a couple of hours away from eh Weirs. Great riding if you get the weather.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

any thought on camping during the rally

Old 05-17-2018, 11:07 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Ride the Kancamagus Highway. Avoid NYC. I'm not an expert on the camping, but it's not like Sturgis with huge campgrounds. I believe there are a couple near Weirs Beach that party. Ride all around NH and VT. They're beautiful.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:25 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,549 Posts

The are a couple of campgrounds just to the North of the Weirs, do a search for the Broken Spoke. Camping next door and across the street behind a little bar called the Looney Bin. If you like to party, these will be good spots to drink and walk all night long. Be careful with the open containers, NH Staties do not play around.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:37 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

ok cool
I will look up kancamgus highway
I do like to participate in the party at least a couple nights and I would want to be somewhere that i can just park the bike for the night for sure. I will look up broken spoke and looney bin
thanks

Old 05-18-2018, 02:43 PM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
ok cool
I will look up kancamgus highway
I do like to participate in the party at least a couple nights and I would want to be somewhere that i can just park the bike for the night for sure. I will look up broken spoke and looney bin
thanks
I was there a few years ago and it only rained once at 3am. The rest of the time was awesome riding.
Besides the KANC they close Mt Washington for two days during the rally to bikes only, must do. Also, they'll have a ride to Arundel, ME for Lobster dinner at BENTLEYS Saloon. Looks like on Sun Jun 10th..
Every night there's free live music and different places at WEIRS beach.
Check out everything under: http://laconiamcweek.com/

The Laconia Rally News letter has all the events by dates: http://laconiamcweek.com/wp-content/...News2018Sm.pdf

No Cuts/Colors along Weirs Beach..
Don't Speed in the area...

Breakfast at PAULI's on Main St in TILTON is a must!

for Tail of Dragon I highly recommend Iron Horse Lodge, bikers only place and onsite restaurant you can sign up for dinner and breakfast ahead of time and it will be waiting for you!. But you better get reservation there now unless you're gonna tent camp! It's a great kickoff spot for TOD and area.. don't forget the Cherohala Skyway...

Also recommend Hwy 81 from Asheville (See Biltmore estate) all the way to Binghamton NY then 88 to Albany and 9 across Vermont mountains and into Keene, NH and over to Concord and then up 93 to Laconia area...stay away from NY city, ..

bentley's Lobster dinner

Atop Mt Washington

Last edited by rossn2; 05-18-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: San Antonio to Laconia and back