Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

4 day ride end of June- what to take?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts
Default 4 day ride end of June- what to take?

Am planning on leaving next Thursday on a 4 day ride from DFW down thru the Tx Hill Country with 4 other riders. It's gonna be hot so I'm taking my hydration pack, which I"ll fill with crushed ice. I've done many long distance rides before and usually pack for the long haul. But this time I'm just taking what I can fit in my RKC leather saddle bags and keeping the bike set up with the solo seat.

so far my list is this:
One t shirt for each day plus one long sleeved t-shirt for extra sun protection
One spare socks & boxers for each day
One spare jeans
4 or 5 bandanas & doo rags
small toiletries bag
pack of wet wipes (comes in handy at gas stops for a face & hands wipe down)
sun screen
spare dark & clear goggles
zip ties/multi tool/multi wrench/duct tape
phone & ear buds, charger

So, with just two saddlebags, what you can fit in your pockets, and a single HD windshield pouch. Can you think of anything else
that I might need or that may come in handy?

Old 06-13-2018, 12:39 PM
top0211
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

I always carry parachute cord and rain gear. Not sure you need the rain gear down there, but I do.

The following users liked this post:
duoglider (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:42 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Minimalist first aid kit.... eye drops ..... couple of rags to wipe your bike down ..... pocket knife.

Sounds like a nice ride. Enjoy.

The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
duoglider (06-14-2018), sledhead_2002 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:33 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

if it's not too late....
Mesh jacket with a damp cotton shirt under it cools you off a lot

Old 06-14-2018, 12:39 PM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

Multi tool and headlamp + most of the above. I got a rain suit from cosco that packs real small and was cheap.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:53 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,362 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Originally Posted by duoglider

so far my list is this:
One t shirt for each day (May only need one or two extras, if you plan on buying any along the way) plus one long sleeved t-shirt for extra sun protection
One spare socks & boxers for each day (I do this, but I buy brand new, wear them and toss them in the trash, to make space for things I may buy along the way. Nothing like brand new socks and underwear to start your day)
One spare jeans
4 or 5 bandanas & doo rags
small toiletries bag
pack of wet wipes (comes in handy at gas stops for a face & hands wipe down)
sun screen
spare dark & clear goggles
zip ties/multi tool/multi wrench/duct tape
phone & ear buds, charger

So, with just two saddlebags, what you can fit in your pockets, and a single HD windshield pouch. Can you think of anything else
that I might need or that may come in handy?
I'm with others on the rain gear. Unless I'm 100% sure it won't rain, my FF helmet and rain suit come along for a multi day ride.
Even with only two bags, there is room to put stuff in a dry bag and latch it down behind you.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

A credit card and a map to your local Wal-mart? Thats called traveling light Jeans are good for 2-4 days easy. Hotel laundry means less clothes. What do you need bandana's doo rags for? Multi tool good for any occasion. Your not going to fix your bike with duct tape or zip ties. Rain gear, light jacket and gloves are must haves. If your planning to rain ride than a FF helmet is a must and thats the only situation a FF helmet is a must . Otherwise set it out till rain stops. My bike has a USB connection ie no need for cell phone charger.

I need pants, a couple shirts, underwear. Hotels have all the amenities i need for cleanliness. I can put 2 pairs of jeans 5+ T-Shirts , underwear and rain gear easily in a single bag. If i need hydration i buy a couple bottles of gatorade at any convenience store in fact i can hydrate at fuel ups. Don't over think it just get on the damn bike and ride.

The following users liked this post:
duoglider (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 07:54 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior

Picked up a battery tender connection cable and a USB connector for it today at the HD store. $20 bucks well spent. Already installed it so no need to carry a phone charger now, plus I can listen to music while riding without running my phone down.
Agree on leaving the zip ties and duct tape in the garage ... multi tool, multi wrench, multi screwdriver are the only tools I'm packing.
It's gonna be in the 90's so the doo rags work well as helmet liners and I like to wear a bandana around my neck in the heat.

I like the idea of wear it and toss it!...could use some new socks! Am packing a pair of flip flops for the evenings when we're at the B&B
to give my feet a break from the boots.

Hey Siri...where's the closest Walmart?

Old 06-17-2018, 04:22 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by road king Q
if it's not too late....
Mesh jacket with a damp cotton shirt under it cools you off a lot
I'm picking up a cooling vest and mesh jacket on Monday. I figure it can only help in the heat wave we're having. Have never used one but it's worth a try and a cheap fix toward making the ride pleasurable instead of miserable.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,677 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Zip Ties won't get you home...????????
Glad I had some when I needed them. I was on a solo cross-country ride on The Moonraker ('85 FXRS)... left the Grand Canyon about dawn on a Sunday morning, headed South for I-40 at Flagstaff, AZ then home to Georgia.
As I approached I-40, tried to downshift and found my shifter was dangling, leaving me no way to get out of 5th gear.. The ball joint on the end of the shifter linkage had broken.
Pulled the clutch handle in and coasted into the parking lot of a convenience store at the exit. Went in a got a half pint of Jack Daniels and an apple and sat on the curb enjoying my breakfast while figuring out what to do next.
I had a few nylon zip ties in the tool bag. It was easy enough to put 2 of them around the end of the linkage and the shifter-shaft in a "criss-cross" pattern. They held everything together nice and tight and got me back on the road. I didn't know how long they were going to last so I pulled into the first Truck Stop I saw and bought a pack of 100 more. Threw'em in the saddlebag and got back on the road. They were still unopened when I got back to Georgia.
Don't tell me zip ties won't get you home.

Quick Reply: 4 day ride end of June- what to take?