Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

North to Alaska from NC

Old 06-21-2018, 12:39 PM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Good luck on your travels, I just got back from Alaska on June 14th. Roads I thought were in fantastic shape, I was fearing the worst with stories you hear and where the construction was being done on them but most were very easily navigated. Some were more difficult than others but just go at a good speed and pick your line. It looks like you didn't forget to pack anything, I wished I didn't take as much as I did but each trip you learn, also I did a lot of rearranging during my trip as I am sure you will do the same. I have a street glide too and one thing I had was the fabric lowers which will save your feet and lower legs, it really keeps the debris and water off your legs.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Wyngs
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck and ride safe. I rode to Deadhorse back in 2014 on my GS. Its the trip of a lifetime, something you will never forget. If you're going up the Dalton, be careful. My experience was the opposite of Redbanks but thats the point. That road is as fickle as the weather up there and she can bite. 3 riders were medevaced the week we were there. But, the true nature of it doesnt really start until you get to Atigun, at least thats how it was then.

Last edited by Wyngs; 06-21-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:05 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

cant wait to see more of the trip
have fun

Old 06-22-2018, 11:01 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,012 Likes on 588 Posts

This is awesome.
I'm especially fond of the story about the mother and son at the campground. I grew up camping at a 2 wheel friendly campground off of US-30, that place would get packed with people from all over during the summers. Some of the nicest folks.

stay safe man.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:22 PM
NowHere Man
Intermediate
Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

A good ride into Alberta. Crosswinds blew me around a bit, twice towards the Mayo and once towards the mustard. Always thankful that another vehicle is not around when that happens. Made me respect the big rig drivers out in the open areas.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 PM
NowHere Man
Intermediate
Default Alaska trip

Heads up to other riders, the shoulder on 1 is nice and wide asphalt in some areas, but narrow with gravel in others. I'm slow, but it took me a while to notice that, both kinda look the same at speed.

Hit a big storm heading towards Banff. Short stopped at Canmore because of the lightning. I had a GoPro running and hope it caught some good images. It is always a thrill riding in hard rain, lightning, and not really being able to see where you can safely pull off. Took the first place I could get a room. Pricey for sure, but glad to get out of the rain.

The following 2 users liked this post by NowHere Man:
stixvrad (06-28-2018), Willi (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 PM
NowHere Man
Intermediate
Default Alaska trip

Tried to trade my bike for a new model, motel folks wanted boot plus my bike and my lucky rock. Since I couldn't pack my junk on it, had to pass on the deal. But man, I like that bike. Wish I could hall it home with me.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:57 AM
NowHere Man
Intermediate

Made it to the AlCan. A good ride and beautiful country. A very small world, met a man that played baseball for the Durham Bulls in NC in '61. He confirmed old stories about a baseball hall of famer (Enos Slaughter) that had a Donkey that ruled my pasture for many years. Unbelievable but true.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:36 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

I was in that neck of the woods a few weeks ago. Rode from Squamish to Hudsons Hope where I have 5 acres. The ride through the pass there was cool and had snow above and below me on the mountain. I took 97 to Chetwynd but never went on to Dawson Creek this time. Some of the trucks coming at me on the highway blew me to he77. I've ridden the Alaska highway from Dawson Creek to a bit past Fort St. John but that was 44 years ago when I lived up there lol. Have a safe journey and enjoy.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:17 PM
NowHere Man
Intermediate

Stopped for a break at the sign posts.

Lots of beers with Vlad, Gerald and Lawrence. Camped out back with a cool rain beating on the tarp. Great sleeping. Vlad was from the Czech republic, very interesting guy that owns the place. Gerald was a truck driver. I think Lawrence was a professional drinker.

A couple of ADV riders trying to shake off a feral hawg on the Klondike.

Camping behind Vlads place.

The following users liked this post:
Willi (06-27-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: North to Alaska from NC