Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2019 Alaska trip by motorcycle from New Jersey

Old 07-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Serafim Brito
Thanks you canadianrockies2. I’m not worried about scratching bike. It’s all part of adventure. I’m going to try to make Arctic Circle weather permitting. If not that’s ok. Will not consider prudhoe bay my bike definitely not that bike to do that. Did you camp or do motels the whole trip? I’m planning on camping when motels not available. I plan on having bike completely looked over by dealer and new tires installed before leaving. I will be taking some tools but not overdoing it. Plug kit to plug tires in case of flat tire. Going to make appt at one of dealers up in Alaska to get bike service before the ride back. I don’t plan on overloading bike a bag of clothes small tent sleeping bag. Rain gear and heated gear in case it gets cold. That’s about all I’m taking. Any suggestions?
I know you didn't ask me but figured I will tell you what I did and my mistakes. I tented 17 of the 22 days. Some nights were with my buddy's family (1 night in Michigan and 3 in Fairbanks) and only one night we decided to get a hotel room because of the snow storm we rode thru in the Canadian Rockies that had my buddy soaked. One advantage we had is we had no set places or destination just like you want to do which allowed us to keep riding into the evening where we knew we could find a campground and throw up our tent because tent spaces are easy to come by, trying to find a hotel/motel room like that may not end up as easy. I down loaded an app called allstays (camp and tent) and it provided us the campgrounds in the area we were in, as long as you have cell reception it works. When we found one that offered showers (the app showed which ones do) it was just a matter of showing up. Campgrounds work on the honor system if you pull in after the office is closed you just square up in the morning or put some money in an envelope. Bigger motel and hotels you will be limited to more populated areas, but there are smaller cabins/rooms in the remote parts but some of these places have been abandoned for years ago so it maybe a crap shoot. Most campgrounds offer small cabins so this is always an option.

I took tools as well but and brought more than I normally do including a small tire inflator, luckily we never needed it. I over packed on socks, underwear, pants and shirts, every campground had washer and dryers available so only a few of each were needed. One thing I didn't bring enough of was warmer clothes, I left my better long underwear at home, I do have heated vest and grips which were invaluable. Most mornings when we started riding was mid forties which most mornings we were on the road by 6:30, it is not a matter of if it will be cold it is a matter of how cold it is going to be that day. We did our trip earlier than some which I feel we avoided most of the bugs and traffic, something to think about. We enjoyed blasting down the road and not coming up on many log jams of trucks, rvs, fifth wheel trailers etc.

I carried a rotopax which allowed me to push my stops, between my gps which showed me up coming gas stations and knowing I have extra gas allowed me to travel that much further.

I had my bike serviced at Fairbanks Harley and didn't have a problem. I called them a day or two before and scheduled my service for Saturday which was no problem.

I think the best road I was on was going into Valdez but the Alcan from Fort Nelson to Whitehorse was pretty awesome too.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:50 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,047 Likes on 8,893 Posts

Thats good info from Redbank. I moteled it all the way in and out, but did have my camping gear, just in case. I stayed in Stewart, Dease Lake, Whitehorse, Tok and Anchorage on the way in, and in Fairbanks Tok, Hains Junction, Nugget City, Fort Nelson, and I think Grand Prairie on the way out.

Warm gear is essential. I take a North Face down jacket that fits under my leather coat. Not only good for for cold riding days, but I like it for cold mornings to get going if a person is camping. I would take small stove, can of stew, coffee in case there is no store where you plan to stay over. At least you can eat supper and have coffee in the morning. You need more than a light sleeping bag.... it needs to be for at least 10 degrees below freezing. And you want a good three season tent..... I have seen it snow in the Rockies in the middle of August. Take Long Johns tops and bottoms, good for riding and for sleeping at night if camping.

Never, EVER pass a gas station that is open once you get below a 1/2 tank. The next one might not be open, or not have power, or even not have gas.

The most important thing is to get a HOG membership and get the deluxe towing package. It is unlimited pick ups and unlimited distance...... once you get back into the Yukon the closest Harley dealer is over 1,000 miles away. With a regular towing package from most insurance companies they will tow yo to the closest motorcycle dealer or town. With the HOG one, they will tow you to the closest Harley Dealer.

Nothing up North is cheap..... take money.

If you are with someone and you are hiking, wear runners..... always remember you don't need to outrun the Bear..... only him.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 07-10-2018 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
beanoboy (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:31 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2

The most important thing is to get a HOG membership and get the deluxe towing package. It is unlimited pick ups and unlimited distance...... once you get back into the Yukon the closest Harley dealer is over 1,000 miles away. With a regular towing package from most insurance companies they will tow yo to the closest motorcycle dealer or town. With the HOG one, they will tow you to the closest Harley Dealer....
Been looking at diff towing places...had Allstate RV which was unlimited. Now have AAA but miles are limited. I like the HOG Deluxe idea....
-

Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by F150HD
Been looking at diff towing places...had Allstate RV which was unlimited. Now have AAA but miles are limited. I like the HOG Deluxe idea....
-
i used it 3 times last year. Road America has great service. I had only one issue with the towing contractor but it got resolved.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2

i used it 3 times last year. Road America has great service. I had only one issue with the towing contractor but it got resolved.
Thanks. Folks always bash HOG towing...but this looks like a good idea if traveling up that way where Dealers are scarce if not non-existent, even it not going up that way but are on the road on the bike.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by F150HD
Thanks. Folks always bash HOG towing...but this looks like a good idea if traveling up that way where Dealers are scarce if not non-existent, even it not going up that way but are on the road on the bike.
I wonder if they like bashing HOG more than the towing. Last summer I got a flat in Bakersfield on the freeway. Called HOG (Road America) and they had a flat deck to me in about an hour. The company they sent by only had one guy show up, and they wanted me to sign a waver. I told them no, they abandoned me on the freeway in rush hour, I called Road America back, they sent another company .... but this time they sent two fellows and we got it loaded. Because they where not the main contractor I had to pay $50. .... but when I called HOG and told them, HOG gave me a free year membership AND got me my $50 back. The other two times it was easy peazy. Once because a rear wheel bearing blew up, and once because I was stupid ..... yup thats right, they will even pay for stupid.