Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2019 Alaska trip by motorcycle from New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Serafim Brito
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Alaska trip by motorcycle from New Jersey

planning. June 2019 Alaska motorcycle trip. Looking for other riders planning similar trip to ride with. I will be riding ultra limited. I will be leaving from New Jersey and returning to New Jersey . If anyone interested you can contact me atserf1210@aol.com thanks and have safe travels

Old 07-08-2018, 04:20 PM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

that poor limited wont look the same when u return, My friend rode a wide glide up and he is still trying to get the mud/calcium chloride whatever they put down on that dirt hard pack road. other that that stretch i have heard its great. I myself would probably fly and rent to save the bike somewhat. If the entire way was paved it would be perfect. I'm heading out to Yellowstone and Sturgis next year myself. Just got back from grand canyon and Utah and Colorado this past summer. that was great. good luck.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Serafim Brito
2nd Gear

That’s ok I’m trading the bike in when I get back from trip. I keep bikes about 3 years then trade them in

Old 07-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Serafim Brito
planning. June 2019 Alaska motorcycle trip. Looking for other riders planning similar trip to ride with. I will be riding ultra limited. I will be leaving from New Jersey and returning to New Jersey . If anyone interested you can contact me atserf1210@aol.com thanks and have safe travels
All the roads I rode on this year were not bad and there was minimal construction. The ride up and back is part of the adventure. If you plan on doing the Dalton Highway that is another story, weather will predict if you are able to attempt the road. We road up to the Arctic Circle and but on the way back it rained and part of the road got ugly and my bike suffered. Good luck on your adventure. I rode with a buddy this year and found it to be perfect, when you start adding multiply people to your stops become longer and you won't be able to make good time if you are limited on number of days.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Serafim Brito
2nd Gear

Thank you Redbank. I’m going to try and make it to arctic Circle weather permitting. Not looking to get hurt or destroy bike. Going to enjoy ride up and back. Maybe try top of the world hiway also weather permitting. I have about 23 days to do it in. Going to see if I can get 1 maybe 2 others to ride with if not not that’s not important to me I’ll ride it alone.just feel it would be a little more fun instead of riding alone. I’m pretty sure I’ll meet up with others making the same trip. That time of year I’m sure others are doing the same trip. Thanks again for reply Serafim Brito

Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Serafim Brito
Thank you Redbank. I’m going to try and make it to arctic Circle weather permitting. Not looking to get hurt or destroy bike. Going to enjoy ride up and back. Maybe try top of the world hiway also weather permitting. I have about 23 days to do it in. Going to see if I can get 1 maybe 2 others to ride with if not not that’s not important to me I’ll ride it alone.just feel it would be a little more fun instead of riding alone. I’m pretty sure I’ll meet up with others making the same trip. That time of year I’m sure others are doing the same trip. Thanks again for reply Serafim Brito
No problem as I wanted people to help me out when I started planning so I am just helping the next guy. I planned for 30 days leaving from Western PA, ended up only taking 22 of the 30 days. Two of the days I was off the bike and one day was basically shot taking a ferry from Haines to Skagway. My average miles for the trip was just under 500 a day. So you are pushing your 23 days depending on where all you want to go in Alaska. I went as far as west as Anchorage and took the Cassiar Highway back. I opted to not do the TOTW because I was tired of riding on bad roads from my trip to the AC. Make sure you go thru the Canadian Rockies.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Serafim Brito
2nd Gear

Not making to many plans as it seems to me that plans go right out the window after thirst 4or 5 days. Just going to enjoy the ride. I’m going to go up and down on east side. Seems to me everything I’ve been reading worst roads are on west side of Alaska. Going thru Alberta British Columbia and Yukon Territory up 97 alcan hwy. This is my first trip up there and don’t want to push my 23 days. I’m going to ride hard for first few days till I get to Alberta then take it easier and do a little site seeing. Visit family in Alberta. I plan on taking it one day at a time. Going to try to make it if not at least I can say I tried. I’ve ridden 1100 miles in 19 hours from Florida to New Jersey in one day. Do that a couple of times a year so I know riding is not a problem. More concerned about weather than anything else. Thank you all info is helpful even if you may think it’s minor info. Something inconsequential sometimes goes a long way.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:55 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,105 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Last summer I took my ‘017 eGlide up through BC to the Yukon, onto Anchorage & Fairbanks, then all the way out to Edmonton. 50 mph road or you beat yourself & your bike up. Lots of construction, always ride up to the front of the line, or stop at it and wait for the next time. Tok, Alaska is a great place to layover on the way in and back out. Get any work done in Anchorage, NOT Fairbanks..... you will have to wait in line behind the lawnmowers..... I loved it, hell of an Adventure. Never made the Artic Circle or Deadhorse. Looked like rain and the road goes for a **** when it does. I broke one rear muffler rubber mount, had it replaced in Edmonton, other than that she came through unscathed.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:09 AM
Serafim Brito
2nd Gear

Thanks you canadianrockies2. I’m not worried about scratching bike. It’s all part of adventure. I’m going to try to make Arctic Circle weather permitting. If not that’s ok. Will not consider prudhoe bay my bike definitely not that bike to do that. Did you camp or do motels the whole trip? I’m planning on camping when motels not available. I plan on having bike completely looked over by dealer and new tires installed before leaving. I will be taking some tools but not overdoing it. Plug kit to plug tires in case of flat tire. Going to make appt at one of dealers up in Alaska to get bike service before the ride back. I don’t plan on overloading bike a bag of clothes small tent sleeping bag. Rain gear and heated gear in case it gets cold. That’s about all I’m taking. Any suggestions?

Old 07-10-2018, 10:17 AM
mcw999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Don't go too early

Got snowed on near BC-Yukon border on June 21 on one trip up. Next two days were drizzle and low 40's. Very miserable. Awesome ride, though.

Quick Reply: 2019 Alaska trip by motorcycle from New Jersey