Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Experienced MN motorcyclist goes missing on cross-country trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,341 Likes on 3,310 Posts

I hope they find him and he is okay. Does not sound good though. Ping his cell phone??

Old 07-12-2018, 01:07 AM
Bourbonator
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Getting a tracker for the bike today. For myself and the bikes safety. now if I could only stick one on my wife :

The following 2 users liked this post by Bourbonator:
cacomly (07-17-2018), Peter Griffin (07-13-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 01:30 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

if you have an iphone, we use the "find my iphone" app to find out where my teen is since hes not that great with communication and likes to ride around with his buddies. It shows you exactly where they are and even gives you driving directions. Of course, they need to have an iphone as well and have that enabled on it for it to work. Works well though and there is a function that you can enable that will capture your location right before your phones battery dies and send it to the person searching for you. I would highly suggest that to folks with iphones that are traveling together on motorcycles for this exact reason.

Last edited by saltlick; 07-12-2018 at 01:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 02:25 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Sorry to hear this, as a friend of Larry Weaver , was very sad at the outcome when he was found .. Can only hope this has a better ending .. I have done thousands of miles solo and most every time stop for break I text the wife letting her know where I am ..

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 07-12-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:18 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Sorry to hear this, as a friend of Larry Weaver , was very sad at the outcome when he was found .. Can only hope this has a better ending .. I have done thousands of miles solo and most every time stop for break I text the wife letting her know where I am ..
When I do long rides I text every time stop for gas. She doesn't mind my trips she just worries. Hope this isn't as bad as it sounds.

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (07-16-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:51 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

This is tough to see and hope they find him.

I do a lot of solo cross country riding and use a device called a spot tracker that is satellite based and sends a signal every 10 minutes with my location. I can also hit a button and it sends an OK text to my wife so she knows I am Ok. The service is expensive but to me it's worth it. For those comfortable with just a cell signal, look into an application called Spotwalla. You can create a "trip" and provide a link to whoever you want so they can see your progress. If your phone quits working it will still show the last reported position as a starting point. You'll need to download an app for your phone to send the signal, I use SWconnect for my iPhone but there are other options for Android based phones.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:20 PM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

Sad situation. Hope the family can get some resolution soon. Was just discussing this type of situation with my lady a few days ago. Her sisters exboyfiend was being a stalkerish creep using the cell tracker to track her down. We came to the conclusion that the tracking apps are good for this, and only issues like this. The cell provider could tell the family with ease where his phone was last pingged. From my understanding they automaticly do it every 30 seconds or so. But getting that information will probably take an exhausting court battle

Many years back a friend of a friend went off the road into a thick brush filled gully. Came down to having a search party walk his last known route and investigate every disturbance in the brush off the side of the road. Found him after about a week.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
there was a guy who went missing in Idaho (?) year or few back, he was on a Goldwing. I think they eventually found his bike at the bottom of a ravine and he was nearby deceased. Trying to recall details.
Yes, it was in Idaho...near North Fork which is north of Salmon on US 93. Solo Goldwing rider was working his way back to Denver and missed a turn in a series of S-curves. The outpouring of bikers riding in to help scour the roadside ditches over 2 possible routes was amazing. This missing MN rider case is really strange. I check for an update every morning.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:32 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Here is a trick for those that can read between the lines -as i don'tt want anyone to get anyone in local trouble
On long trips into stranger part of the world, i would like to think of some options.
Part of the safety gear for my boat is plugs, tools, flares and if you are in trouble this will shoot them a couple hundred feet in the air.
So I always cary those tools with me as there is no ordinance that i know of against them.
In the advent of me sinking i do have options

Old 07-17-2018, 01:58 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

This is really sad, I have to ask though. How do you lose a rider when there are only two of you? I know crazy stuff happens on the road and I could understand it in a larger group but with two it's pretty easy to stick together.
Hopefully they find him alive.

Quick Reply: Experienced MN motorcyclist goes missing on cross-country trip