Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Mackinac Bridge trip.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 03:27 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Mackinac Bridge trip.

Been fascinated by bridges since I was a kid. Always wanted to see and cross this one. Heading up from NC on August 31st for a solo trip across the bridge & up to the Canadian border. Never been to Michigan. Then returning on back roads thru Ohio, Penn, WV & Va. Any tips from the Michigan folk are appreciated. Just things to see & where to stay.

Thanks,

Old 08-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Don't look down. Don't look sideways. Most of the bridge is metal grates. Hold your handlebars loosely, and don't fight the wiggling.

Be prepared for weather in the 40s, any time of year. There are lots of threads on the UP, do a search.

The following users liked this post:
BigDawgQC (08-08-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

https://www.mackinacbridge.org/2018-...convenience-2/

Labor Day Weekend can get pretty dang crazy in Mackinaw

BigDawgQC (08-08-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 PM
billmichbiker
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated ... metal grates were scary my first time.
good news is the outer lanes (4 lane bridge, 2 going in each direction) are asphalt and not grates. Only inner lane in each direction have grates.
bad news is the outer lanes are often closed due to ongoing bridge maintenance.
do as suggested in prior post ... don’t fight the wiggle and hold handle bars loosely

BigDawgQC (08-08-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:02 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Its a nice bucket lister to cross off. As mentioned she is grated, but there are 2 lanes each direction and the right lane is paved. Will admit as someone told me always construction on the bridge and invariably you probably will not be able to stay in the same lane the whole way. Me if given the choice would ride on the paved section cause grates are just not much fun. So on my trip over it last year started on the pavement but had to cross over onto the grates. TBH the grates on that bridge are pretty bike friendly, small openings in the grating do not pull the front or rear wheel around. Have your money ready as there is like a $4 or $5 toll on the UP side waiting for you. Sault Ste Marie (Bridge to Canada picture below) has the amenities of a larger town and a cool area along the river DT. It's right on the border if your going that way.

Last edited by HenryT; 08-07-2018 at 11:10 PM.
BigDawgQC (08-08-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Partsman116
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lived in Michigan most of my life. Take 131 north through the lower instead of 75. Once you hit 72 take that west into Traverse City. Then north through Petoskey, Charlevoix, Tunnel of trees and into Mackinac. In the upper make sure to see Brimley, Paradise and Whitefish Point. That time of year most of the 'fudgies" will have gone home so the locals can finally enjoy their home again. Its also a lot let expensive hotel/motel wise. The only area I have found that's more enjoyable is down your way in NC!! enjoy

BigDawgQC (08-08-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

The bridge is an experience, for sure ... I've been over it at least a couple of hundred times ... most on the grates ... The "real experience" is getting stopped ( traffic jam ) while on the grates, and having a ship ,passing underneath ... that really shows you just how much "sway" is built into the bridge ...

It really is a unique experience

BigDawgQC (08-08-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 11:15 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Keep in mind that half of the "Mighty Mac" is closed off on Labor Day for the march across (north-to-south).
This is a (great experience) 5+mile hike "uphill", under sometimes very windy conditions!
They use school buses to take you back across the bridge to the parking areas.

The guys have made some great suggestions but I guess it depend on what you want to see, how much time you plan to spend in Michigan and where you want to stay.
Mackinaw City (south of the bridge) has good lodging and restaurants (and a H-D "kiosk" store) and St. Ignace (north of the bridge) has less lodging but they also have god restaurants. Both would be a great place to stay if you wanted to ride up to Sault Ste. Marie to see the "locks".

If you're planning on going into Canada. check their website and make sure that you have the necessary paperwork (Birth Certificate, Passport) and that you are NOT a "prohibited" person. Even a DUI/DWI, etc. could prevent you from entering Canada.

If you have time, the coastal road (RT 23) that runs alongside Lake Huron is a nice but slow ride that will take you into Mackinaw City.
If you choose to take I-75 all the way up, ******* (Exit 280) is a nice town and one of our favorite restaurants there is Gobbler's.

If you should go west and end up in Kalkaska, there's a restaurant there (B&B) that has a sandwich large enough to feed 3-4 people!

Good luck ride safely and let us know how your trip is going or how it went when you get home.

BigDawgQC (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 06:53 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Pretty much what everyone else has already said. If you come up the east side of the state you can use US23 which runs up the coast of lake Huron from about Bay City north. Traffic is better and if your into light houses there are plenty to stop and see. Lots of friendly small communities as well. Have a safe enjoyable trip.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

We rode over the bridge, twice, in 2013. Grating was not bad at all, I have been on a lot worse. Very ride-able, wouldn't concern myself with it. And it is fun to look down and see the water, looks like you are flying. Bucket list item for sure.

We stayed the night in Mackinaw City, next day took boat ride to Mackinac Island. The wife enjoyed the day off the road.

BigDawgQC (08-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Mackinac Bridge trip.