Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Headed to Canada by way of the Falls

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:54 AM
mrbuggy2u3
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headed to Canada by way of the Falls

Well looks like we are heading to Canada. We will be leaving Northwest Georgia the 2nd week in October and going to the Canadian side of the falls. Should be around a 15 hour ride. Anyone made this ride? Any tips on where to stay, border crossing, etc? We plan on staying in the area for a week. We will hang out around the falls for a day or two then head North and take in some scenery and ride into the city. If anyone has any great routes North of the Falls I would appreciate it.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:49 PM
mrbuggy2u3
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Niagara Falls

Originally Posted by mrbuggy2u3
Well looks like we are heading to Canada. We will be leaving Northwest Georgia the 2nd week in October and going to the Canadian side of the falls. Should be around a 15 hour ride. Anyone made this ride? Any tips on where to stay, border crossing, etc? We plan on staying in the area for a week. We will hang out around the falls for a day or two then head North and take in some scenery and ride into the city. If anyone has any great routes North of the Falls I would appreciate it.
Niagara Falls. Seriously? Noone has any reply to this?

Old 08-05-2018, 05:11 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

I will jump in......cross the border in Niagara Falls, stay at the Emabassy right over the falls, floor to ceiling windows, ask for the room otherwise it's the back side..lots of tourist things to do...maideofthemist and the falls tour........if you really want a nice ride head to the Adirondack mountains great roads and nice little towns...Canada roads are big and nothing to see....so head east through the finger lakes region of New York State...do the lakes.....then head to the Adirondacks....

Old 08-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Yeah, unless you want to go 200 miles north of the border, the Southern Ontario area is heavily industrialized and full of traffic. Most roads are not very scenic except around the falls and the top of lake Erie. You can do some of the roads around Niagara-on-the-Lake, Lakeside Park, close to the falls. It's quaint and touristy with lots of wineries where you can do wine-tasting tours. Ice-wine there is the best in the world. With your trip the best part is going to be getting to the Falls. The roads up through Virginia and West Virginia are epic. A day ride to Port Dover in Ontario (where the bikers hold their Friday The 13th Bash) might be interesting, just to say you've been there and get a t-shirt, lol. Stay away from Toronto unless you like brutal traffic.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

First of all we live in Southwestern Ontario. We live about 3-1/2 hours from Niagara Falls.
I must say I would really question the timing of your trip. In Ontario we have been known to have our first snow fall around mid to late October. And that in itself would make for unpleasant and dangerous driving on a motorcycle.
Plus, by that time all the leaves on the trees have already changed color and fallen, so the beauty of a ride north into Ontario would be pretty plain.
You can cross at either of the two border crossing into Ontario and Canada. One is at Buffalo (Peace Bridge)and the other one is right at Niagara (Rainbow Bridge).
Please take note that crossing into Canada you will need a valid passport, a clear criminal record, and DO NOT attempt to cross with a firearm of any kind.
If you do make the trip my wife, who was born in Niagara Falls, says get a room with a view of the falls. A little extra money but well worth it.
Hope this helps. Ride safe!

Cheers, Terry

Old 08-06-2018, 06:10 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Ya, Ive got to question the time of year also--little late in the season around these parts----I,d push my trip to mid September

Temperature changes by then will be easily 30-35 degrees from early morning to late afternoon----but then you're dealing with leaf peepers

Ride the Adirondack area[its large] and maybe Finger Lakes---like others point out, The Falls are awesome ,the riding so-so[imo]

Get a room with a view--we also stay on the Canadian side

Enjoy and take many pics on your adventure

Old 08-06-2018, 06:28 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,342 Likes on 3,278 Posts

I just came back from Niagara Falls and Toronto , wanted to go shopping, see my sister and let my grand daughter and son in law see the falls.
That seems a bit late in the year so take warm stuff...use duck roads or small highways up there, it’s a nice area... The Toronto area is a traffic nightmare if you catch it wrong but it’s a beautiful place.
Exchange rate is good ... FYI, don’t convert your money at the duty free shop, go to a Bank.
if you use a card check with your bank if they charge international fees, some are 3%...

Last edited by Notgrownup; 08-06-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:08 AM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 899 Likes on 511 Posts

Not much to add but following as my brother, cousin, and I will be riding from VA to Niagra Falls in September. Our plan is to cross at Niagra Falls, follow Lake Erie West to the Detroit area before heading south to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and back to Northern VA. Ride safe and I can provide some updates after our trip.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:30 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Was up there a few years ago. When you enter Canada be careful since the inspection booths pavement leans a little. The reason for it is so the Customs officers, in Canada, can see clearly into the car since it lifts the drivers side up. So when you ride up on your bike,, stay in the right side of the lane,, put your side stand down and dismount. If you pull up to the window you will find your right foot DOES NOT touch the ground. For fun there are wine tours on the Canadian side and yep,, lots of wine!! I just got over to I-81 to I-76/99 then on to 219 to avoid major towns,, nice ride!

Old 08-11-2018, 10:13 AM
M8Deeve
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I live about 45 minutes away from Niagara Falls.

Id advise you to take a ride down the Scenic Niagara Parkway down to Niagara-on-the-Lake. It goes from Fort Erie to NOTL and is a really nice scenic ride. At that time, the leaves ought to be changing and the views should be great. The traffic is usually pretty slow though. There are also some really nice rides through the Niagara Escarpment all the way to Hamilton if you are wanting to take a leisurely route.

I will also second what Giacomo56 said about the hotel. Awesome views. Tons to do in Niagara Falls itself.

I cant say there is a ton of really awesome roads around here. But i will second the notion to avoid Toronto at all costs.

One word of advise though. Take the 407 Toll road to avoid Toronto traffic. It goes north of Toronto and runs all the way to near Pickering. Its expensive but worth it. You can safely run at 75mph without worrying about getting ticketed. The posted limit is 100km/h but unless you are going 130km/h you are going to get run over. Also as an added benefit, if you have a bike with a tour pack, the cameras cant take a picture of your plate. You wont get billed. I have taken it repeatedly on my Ultra Limited and never once gotten a bill in the mail.