Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/)
-   -   Harley Museum trip questions (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/1248244-harley-museum-trip-questions.html)

jjlw 08-12-2018 08:37 PM

Harley Museum trip questions

Taking a trip to the Harley Museum, Aug. 23-28. Will be leaving from southern Illinois. Looking for recommendations on lodging near the museum, things to see or do, taking the ferry across Lake Michigan. Any input from past trips would be appreciated.

tnriverluver 08-12-2018 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jjlw (Post 17590046)
Taking a trip to the Harley Museum, Aug. 23-28. Will be leaving from southern Illinois. Looking for recommendations on lodging near the museum, things to see or do, taking the ferry across Lake Michigan. Any input from past trips would be appreciated.

Pictures! Take lots and lots of pictures. It's hard to really see and read everything in a day. They actually encourage taking pictures while there.

bagga 08-13-2018 06:07 AM

zaffiro's pizza on farwell st. is the first place we go when we're in milwaukee. cracker crust at it's finest.

show-n-go 08-14-2018 04:43 PM

Stay an extra day and enjoy the thousands of bikes that will be rolling into town on Wednesday for the 115th rally.

Brit Biker 08-15-2018 06:06 AM

For location you cannot beat the Iron Horse hotel. Walking distance to the museum, covered parking for bikes, washing station etc. A bit pricey but it's a great place to stay.

Curt5811 08-15-2018 10:26 AM

I recommend anyone coming for the 115th, avoid riding in the Downtown Milwaukee area. There is a new tracked street car which has metal tracks flush with the road surface. The gaps along the rails are wide enough to trap a cycle tire and cause a crash. It's happened already where a rider was seriously injured. These tracks are only a few blocks north of the HD Museum. If you find yourself in that area and need to pass over the rails, cross at as much of a right angle as possible.

Here's a map. The tracks are highlighted in blue

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...55aa63ecb0.jpg

Bearpaw Mearle 08-15-2018 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by tnriverluver (Post 17590214)
Pictures! Take lots and lots of pictures. It's hard to really see and read everything in a day. They actually encourage taking pictures while there.

I agree with that. I felt like we didn't have enough time, and we were rushing through it.

cacomly 08-20-2018 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Brit Biker (Post 17595997)
For location you cannot beat the Iron Horse hotel. Walking distance to the museum, covered parking for bikes, washing station etc. A bit pricey but it's a great place to stay.

I agree, the Ironhorse is nice but pricey. I stayed there once a few years ago

Consider taking one of the curator tours where they explain a lot of stuff. My wife really enjoyed that

Dan28 08-20-2018 12:23 PM

I kind of went on a whim last year coming back to St. Louis from Yellowstone. Decided I wanted to see one of the Great Lakes so rode on to Milwaukee and then down through Chicago and back to STL. Went to the Harley Museum while there. If you are a member of HOG, its free. I was asking about the military discount price when the ticket girl asked if I was a HOG member. I actually still was at the time having bought another bike just a couple months prior. I didn't spend a ton of time there though. Had lunch breezed through and then on the road to fight through some lovely traffic and toll booths on my way back to STL.

cficole 08-20-2018 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Curt5811 (Post 17596607)
I recommend anyone coming for the 115th, avoid riding in the Downtown Milwaukee area. There is a new tracked street car which has metal tracks flush with the road surface. The gaps along the rails are wide enough to trap a cycle tire and cause a crash. It's happened already where a rider was seriously injured. These tracks are only a few blocks north of the HD Museum. If you find yourself in that area and need to pass over the rails, cross at as much of a right angle as possible.

Here's a map. The tracks are highlighted in blue

Thanks, Curt, good to know. I get up there occasionally.