Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Harley Museum trip questions

Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 PM
jjlw
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Harley Museum trip questions

Taking a trip to the Harley Museum, Aug. 23-28. Will be leaving from southern Illinois. Looking for recommendations on lodging near the museum, things to see or do, taking the ferry across Lake Michigan. Any input from past trips would be appreciated.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:45 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by jjlw
Taking a trip to the Harley Museum, Aug. 23-28. Will be leaving from southern Illinois. Looking for recommendations on lodging near the museum, things to see or do, taking the ferry across Lake Michigan. Any input from past trips would be appreciated.
Pictures! Take lots and lots of pictures. It's hard to really see and read everything in a day. They actually encourage taking pictures while there.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:07 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

zaffiro's pizza on farwell st. is the first place we go when we're in milwaukee. cracker crust at it's finest.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:43 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Stay an extra day and enjoy the thousands of bikes that will be rolling into town on Wednesday for the 115th rally.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:06 AM
Brit Biker
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For location you cannot beat the Iron Horse hotel. Walking distance to the museum, covered parking for bikes, washing station etc. A bit pricey but it's a great place to stay.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Curt5811
Road Captain
Received 175 Likes on 118 Posts

I recommend anyone coming for the 115th, avoid riding in the Downtown Milwaukee area. There is a new tracked street car which has metal tracks flush with the road surface. The gaps along the rails are wide enough to trap a cycle tire and cause a crash. It's happened already where a rider was seriously injured. These tracks are only a few blocks north of the HD Museum. If you find yourself in that area and need to pass over the rails, cross at as much of a right angle as possible.

Here's a map. The tracks are highlighted in blue

The following 2 users liked this post by Curt5811:
cficole (08-20-2018), riteway (08-20-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 03:04 PM
Bearpaw Mearle
Road Captain
Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Pictures! Take lots and lots of pictures. It's hard to really see and read everything in a day. They actually encourage taking pictures while there.
I agree with that. I felt like we didn't have enough time, and we were rushing through it.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit Biker
For location you cannot beat the Iron Horse hotel. Walking distance to the museum, covered parking for bikes, washing station etc. A bit pricey but it's a great place to stay.
I agree, the Ironhorse is nice but pricey. I stayed there once a few years ago

Consider taking one of the curator tours where they explain a lot of stuff. My wife really enjoyed that

Old 08-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I kind of went on a whim last year coming back to St. Louis from Yellowstone. Decided I wanted to see one of the Great Lakes so rode on to Milwaukee and then down through Chicago and back to STL. Went to the Harley Museum while there. If you are a member of HOG, its free. I was asking about the military discount price when the ticket girl asked if I was a HOG member. I actually still was at the time having bought another bike just a couple months prior. I didn't spend a ton of time there though. Had lunch breezed through and then on the road to fight through some lovely traffic and toll booths on my way back to STL.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:02 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt5811
I recommend anyone coming for the 115th, avoid riding in the Downtown Milwaukee area. There is a new tracked street car which has metal tracks flush with the road surface. The gaps along the rails are wide enough to trap a cycle tire and cause a crash. It's happened already where a rider was seriously injured. These tracks are only a few blocks north of the HD Museum. If you find yourself in that area and need to pass over the rails, cross at as much of a right angle as possible.

Here's a map. The tracks are highlighted in blue
Thanks, Curt, good to know. I get up there occasionally.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley Museum trip questions