Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Thunder in the Rockies or Lake of the Ozarks

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:28 PM
Litewings
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Thunder in the Rockies or Lake of the Ozarks

Live in the flat and straight roads of Nebraska. Did Sturgis and the Black Hills and looking for another destination with some curves. Have been to the rockies a couple times and love it but how does the area around Lake of the Ozarks compare for roads with curves and scenery? Thinking Thunder in the Rockies or Lake of the Ozarks Bikefest as destinations. Any opinion's?

Old 08-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Don't know about either of the events. I grew up in the Ozarks from South East MO to North West AR but for riding I prefer the Rockies.

Last edited by Dan28; 08-16-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:55 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

I live in the lake of the ozarks and just got home from the rockies. For riding, no comparison...the rockies. As far as the rallies and party, you can google it and see what each has to offer as far as entertainment, etc.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Litewings
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the opinions. I'm more interested in the riding than the partying, but like having something to do and see in the evenings. Have been to the Rockies 2 times and loved it but do not know how the Ozarks compare.

Last edited by Litewings; 08-16-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:56 AM
Waterman1
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I like both areas. Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas have some good routes.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:30 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterman1
I like both areas. Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas have some good routes.
My buddies and I just got back from a tour on which we spent 4 days in Southern Missouri and NW Arkansas. I had never been to the Ozarks before and was pleasantly surprised. Some good twisties, especially in Arkansas. I'm not sure about how the roads are as far north as the Lake of the Ozarks. The research that I did to plan our trip suggested the better roads were further south.

That being said, as between the two, I'd take the Rockies. If you have a little extra time, the Smoky Mountains of eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina are fantastic. We did the Snake (421) on our way back from the Ozarks.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:48 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

For scenery the Rocky's, for tight twisty roads, the Ozarks. Ark has the tightest curves of any state I've ever ridden. When the sign there says curve 20 mph you damn well better be doing 20 mph! I'll be there end of Sept for BBB.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:13 AM
cdremy
Road Warrior
Received 634 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
For scenery the Rocky's, for tight twisty roads, the Ozarks. Ark has the tightest curves of any state I've ever ridden. When the sign there says curve 20 mph you damn well better be doing 20 mph! I'll be there end of Sept for BBB.
The Pig Trail has a 5 mph hair pin turn which challenges the best of us

Old 08-19-2018, 10:34 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by cdremy
The Pig Trail has a 5 mph hair pin turn which challenges the best of us
I've done Ark several times but have never made it over to the Pig Trail. All my riding has always been about a 100 mile radius from Harrison with Eureka Springs being the farthest west I've made it. Looking forward to attending BBB this year with my son and his buddy both coming up from Louisiana and a classmate and her husband and friends that live in Bentonville. Gonna be a blast!!!!

Old 08-19-2018, 03:33 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
I've done Ark several times but have never made it over to the Pig Trail. All my riding has always been about a 100 mile radius from Harrison with Eureka Springs being the farthest west I've made it. Looking forward to attending BBB this year with my son and his buddy both coming up from Louisiana and a classmate and her husband and friends that live in Bentonville. Gonna be a blast!!!!
The Pig Trail is a nice road and fun to ride. But it is not as technically challenging as the Tail of the Dragon, the Back of the Dragon, the Snake or any number of other super twisty roads in the Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge. On a par with the Pig Trail is Push Mountain Road, further east, near Norfork, AR.

Quick Reply: Thunder in the Rockies or Lake of the Ozarks