Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

My next road trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:34 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts
Default My next road trip

Thought I was going to put this off till next Sprint/Summer, but now have decided I'm going to do it in October. After not being able to use any vacation days the first half of the year due to my company going through a merger. Since I'm in IT, I was very busy before and after the merger. I also typically carry over 5 emergency vacation days that I have saved from my first year with the firm, but don't think I will be able to do that anymore so I've got about 3 weeks left to take. The main points for this trip are the north and south rim of the Grand Canyon. None of the rest is written in stone. Though I do want to hit the coast to see the Pacific ocean. I've been in the Pacific in Guam, but this will be the furthest west in the US I have ever been other than airport layovers at LAX, Fairbanks, Alaska and Hawaii.

I may have to change the return route depending on the weather in the Rockies, but I would just be running the interstate back through Colorado and not really stopping there. I may try to do one of them Iron Butt challenges on the first day. Think the west side of Albuquerque is about a 1000 miles away from me. That would be like knocking out 2 days of travelling in one, as I normally do 500 mile days (give or take) when on a trip. I've done several 750ish mile days (some on my Wide Glide) and am positive I could run another 250 miles on the Street Glide. Will probably camp with some random hotel stops thrown in. Still trying to decide if I will take my 1911. Don't know if I want to have to bring a separate lock box to lock it up in the saddlebags when in states that don't have reciprocity with Missouri's CCW. Do California and Nevada have problems with knives? I may bring my camp knife with me, think the blade on it is around 9 inches.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:55 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,270 Likes on 11,143 Posts

We are doing a big trip in October as well. But, staying south. I wanted to include Colorado...but I don’t wanna take the cold risk. We leave from San Diego, meet up with friends in San Antonio, then loop up to Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi...then home retracing our route to Texas. We try to keep trips to 2 weeks, because of pet care, and butt bruises. This will be our first trip on our new EG Ultra Limited. Also, we are going to experiment with packing much lighter. Maybe you’ll be able to smell us. Have a great trip.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:17 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Both trips look awesome. Have fun and keep the shiny side up.

The following users liked this post:
Dan28 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
We are doing a big trip in October as well. But, staying south. I wanted to include Colorado...but I don’t wanna take the cold risk. We leave from San Diego, meet up with friends in San Antonio, then loop up to Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi...then home retracing our route to Texas. We try to keep trips to 2 weeks, because of pet care, and butt bruises. This will be our first trip on our new EG Ultra Limited. Also, we are going to experiment with packing much lighter. Maybe you’ll be able to smell us. Have a great trip.

I think my smell will cancel your's out. Looks like your number 7 from your map is around Eureka Springs, Arkansas. There is a very biker friendly Best Western there that has the best included breakfast I have ever had at a hotel. Heck its a great breakfast, hotel or not. My trip will also be about 2 weeks. Will use my third remaining week for deer season in November. Hope your trip is great and safe as well.

Last edited by Dan28; 09-26-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:57 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

If you are going to stick to the interstate across MO and KS, when you get to Kansas City I'd suggest the route around KC in the link below. A little bit farther, but less traffic, good roads, fewer stray bullets, etc. Try to avoid KC during the rush hour. It's as bad as St. Louis. Once you get into KS on I-435 you'll eventually cross I-35. The way the roads are laid out at that point it doesn't always look like you're going the right way. Just trut the signs and you'll be fine.
Going across KS on the interstate is boring. It's almost as boring as I-70 east of the Rockies. If you have the time I would also suggest taking one of the GON2L (Good Old Numbered 2 Lanes) across the state. The roads are very good, plenty of places for fuel, food and motels. It isn't as barren and stark as it is on the slab. Once you get to Goodland KS you'll probably want to take I-70 into Denver.

A couple months ago I rode from KC to the Kansas/Colorado line...just for fun...and rode HW 24 (north of I-70) across the state. Sure beats the interstate. Also, it takes you through Cawker City, KS, which is the home of the worlds largest ball of twine! It really is kind of interesting. It's right on the main drag as you pass through town. It's worth the stop for a photo.

(I tried to add links to the HW 24 route and to the Ball of Twine, but when I submit the reply some of them are gone, and the others are boogered up for some reason. <shrug>)

Kansas City

Last edited by Frank the Real Biker; 09-26-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:29 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

In Amarillo TX stop and see the Cadillac Ranch. It's on the west side of town and right next to the highway. When you exit I-70 for Moab or get back on, depending which way your going, take Rt 129. It's beautiful.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
If you are going to stick to the interstate across MO and KS, when you get to Kansas City I'd suggest the route around KC in the link below. A little bit farther, but less traffic, good roads, fewer stray bullets, etc. Try to avoid KC during the rush hour. It's as bad as St. Louis. Once you get into KS on I-435 you'll eventually cross I-35. The way the roads are laid out at that point it doesn't always look like you're going the right way. Just trut the signs and you'll be fine.
Going across KS on the interstate is boring. It's almost as boring as I-70 east of the Rockies. If you have the time I would also suggest taking one of the GON2L (Good Old Numbered 2 Lanes) across the state. The roads are very good, plenty of places for fuel, food and motels. It isn't as barren and stark as it is on the slab. Once you get to Goodland KS you'll probably want to take I-70 into Denver.

A couple months ago I rode from KC to the Kansas/Colorado line...just for fun...and rode HW 24 (north of I-70) across the state. Sure beats the interstate. Also, it takes you through Cawker City, KS, which is the home of the worlds largest ball of twine! It really is kind of interesting. It's right on the main drag as you pass through town. It's worth the stop for a photo.

(I tried to add links to the HW 24 route and to the Ball of Twine, but when I submit the reply some of them are gone, and the others are boogered up for some reason. <shrug>)

Kansas City
Until a few years ago I had never been to Kansas. Then my work opened an office in Leewood, so I went out there several times for the set up and various other things. I rode across the state for the first time on my Wide Glide around Memorial weekend last year on my first trip to Colorado. Went out through it a couple months later on the Street Glide, then again this past July. I've only rode eastbound on 70 on that last trip. The other trips I came east bound on I80 and I90 instead of I70. I was expecting it to be a more boring ride than it was. I think its about the same as riding from STL to Chicago, scenery wise. The afternoon crosswinds that first trip when I was on my Wide Glide straight up sucked, was pushing me all over the lane. Yeah, I think I've been caught in KC's traffic a couple times, coming and going.

I've almost taken a detour to see those salt pillars in western Kansas (forgot what it is called), but always decided to use the time to get to Colorado instead.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:08 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
In Amarillo TX stop and see the Cadillac Ranch. It's on the west side of town and right next to the highway. When you exit I-70 for Moab or get back on, depending which way your going, take Rt 129. It's beautiful.
A couple years ago I almost made took a trip to go to the Cadillac Ranch. At the last minute, I decided to go east to the Tail of the Dragon instead due to huge storms. May not have been a good idea, as those storms kept going east and I got caught in them. Rode from the Tail of the Dragon that day down to Mobile Alabama. Also got caught in the worst crosswinds I have ever ridden in on that trip, even worse than the Kansas ones. I do plan to stop at the Cadillac Ranch on this trip.

I'll keep the Rt 129 in mind.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:01 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan28
Until a few years ago I had never been to Kansas. Then my work opened an office in Leewood, so I went out there several times for the set up and various other things. I rode across the state for the first time on my Wide Glide around Memorial weekend last year on my first trip to Colorado. Went out through it a couple months later on the Street Glide, then again this past July. I've only rode eastbound on 70 on that last trip. The other trips I came east bound on I80 and I90 instead of I70. I was expecting it to be a more boring ride than it was. I think its about the same as riding from STL to Chicago, scenery wise. The afternoon crosswinds that first trip when I was on my Wide Glide straight up sucked, was pushing me all over the lane. Yeah, I think I've been caught in KC's traffic a couple times, coming and going.

I've almost taken a detour to see those salt pillars in western Kansas (forgot what it is called), but always decided to use the time to get to Colorado instead.
They are called the Chalk Pyramids. They are made of sandstone. Pretty cool to ride up and see 'em out in the middle of nowhere. The photos below were taken on the short trip I mentioned earlier. Ya gotta ride on about 5 miles of rock and gravel, but it wasn't bad if ya go slow.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:16 PM
AbqDave
Tourer
Received 186 Likes on 97 Posts

For the California portion, consider the central coast, which is due west across the valley from Bakersfield. Wine country (north of Santa Barbara is where they filmed "Sideways"). Great stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway through Big Sur. There are a number of great rides in that area. I'd go there before I went to LA.

Between Albuquerque and Barstow there are opportunities to follow Route 66 which is really nice in places. East of Kingman is impressive. South of Vegas is also pretty cool but some very tight curves through there. And donkeys.

In Arizona, you can integrate a ride through the Painted Desert with a stop at the south rim. See how the 40 loops south from Gallup to Holbrook and then back up to Flagstaff? Not much to see out there, depends which way you're going. Views traveling west to east are OK-ish. Truck traffic can be irritating. Personally I would cut straight through the Navajo nation between Tuba City and Window rock. Easy access to the south rim from the west. Beautiful scenery, very little traffic. Highlights include Hopi second Mesa, the Hopi volcanic field (which is like monument valley), great views of the Painted Desert. Flag is a great place to stay, Gallup is tolerable, and there's nothing in between basically.

In Utah, consider taking 12 through Escalante and Bryce. Not much to see from the freeway imo.

Sure you want to blow through Colorado on 70? You can loop north on 34 through Estes Park, which may be the most gorgeous road I've ever seen. Or you can loop south past Pike's Peak to Buena Vista, follow the Arkansas river past the magnificent collegiate range up to 82, take that over Independence Pass if it's open. Aspen is quiet this time of year but it's always good. It can get darn cold up there in October and early snows might close some of the passes. Strike that. It may be *damn* cold.

If you have to bail south because of the weather, look at highway 64 through northern New Mexico, should still be some fall color left. The passes near Cimarron and Taos are beautiful. Cimarron is a cool little cowboy town, the NRA museum is worth a stop. Taos is a frickin great town oh my God. Start with happy hour at Doc Marten's and believe me, stay within crawling distance. That road continues on to the four corners and Monument Valley area. There are a couple of passes that aren't too high and the weather should be good. If you do take that route, you can take 261 to 95 to Hanksville and then catch 12 through Utah that way if you like. All open road, gorgeous desert, very little traffic.

I don't think anybody will give a flip if you're carrying in any of the four corners states, especially Colorado. In California? I dunno man. These people are different.

Last edited by AbqDave; 09-26-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: My next road trip