Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planned Road Trip 2019

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 03:38 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Roach450
Sweet and thanks for the tips. Just got done downloading Google street’s now, I just had the map app that looks cartoonish. More than likely I’ll be leaving Saturday July 6 at Zero dark thirty, that’s my plan right now for KSU. Nice thing is, I-80 isn’t to far from me, about 45 minutes to the north.
If you end up staying on I-80 to Salt Lake City, holler at me, I might ride North with you (if you want). I typically ride up through that are about that time of year.

EDIT: Actually, heading North off I-80 at Evanston, WY is a much nicer ride. Lots of good scenery, and you can route through Garden City, UT and then Montpelier, ID and have a nice ride around Bear Lake.

Last edited by crazytown; 10-12-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Roach450
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks and will do. When time gets closer I’ll dig this thread up, I’m always up for someone to ride with

Old 10-14-2018, 09:10 AM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

This may be unpopular, but with the Ultra, I just turn on the GPS, enter, scenic, no highways, no toll roads and enter the destination. So far I have not been been disappointed, have toured from California to Fayetteville. AR (10 states) and all of the PNW and have seen some beautiful places without issue and have seen almost everything I wanted to see. If you have a specific Point of Interest you want to see, do a quick input and off you go...also cuts down on traffic. Have plenty of time and just go you would be amazed at what the backroads have to offer.

If you don't have a GPS, this is null and void..unless you buy one for the trip designed specifically for motorcycle touring.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

All roads are good roads headed west from your location except those that take you close to Chicago ... Stay away and out of Chicago as far as the Interstates are concerned

Old 10-14-2018, 09:57 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Does anyone here live on the east coast AND have trekked west on a road other than I70? Next July I plan on riding to Jackson Hole Wyoming, and wanted to see if anyone had any advice on a way to travel that is scenic. I live in Pa and the only way I ever travel west is to take 70W, but don’t like doing it on a bike. I have family that lives in Kansas, which will be my end point before coming back home. I did a Route 66 tour in 2017 on a Softail Slim all the way to New Mexico. So traveling 5 to 600 miles in a day is not a problem for me. SO FAR. Also, anything I should do other than cruise pegs and a reach seat I should put on my bike for extra comfort? Was thinking of a back rest. Luggage rack is on the way. (2018 Street Glide) picture posted is when I got to Mid point in Adrian Texas in 2017

You state Jackson Hole....curious, what is the goal of the trip? are you visiting someone in JH? (I found it expensive and touristy so wondered)

what 'region' or 'regions' are you targetting?

Sounds like you'll be traversing the lower midwest 2x....which (IMO) sucks. Much of that you'll want to just hit the slab and go.

I have suggestions but curious what you are attempting to see on this trip before offering them. Thanks.

Edit: how much time do you have available for this trip?

Last edited by F150HD; 10-14-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:28 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Does anyone here live on the east coast AND have trekked west on a road other than I70? Next July I plan on riding to Jackson Hole Wyoming, and wanted to see if anyone had any advice on a way to travel that is scenic. I live in Pa and the only way I ever travel west is to take 70W, but don’t like doing it on a bike. I have family that lives in Kansas, which will be my end point before coming back home. I did a Route 66 tour in 2017 on a Softail Slim all the way to New Mexico. So traveling 5 to 600 miles in a day is not a problem for me. SO FAR. Also, anything I should do other than cruise pegs and a reach seat I should put on my bike for extra comfort? Was thinking of a back rest. Luggage rack is on the way. (2018 Street Glide) picture posted is when I got to Mid point in Adrian Texas in 2017
Sounds like a fun trip!

As MajorKG stated, you could take secondary roads, see more, take longer.

Crossing the middle of the country, there's just a lot of straight, flat territory to cover. We've tried everything, but all the way to Canada, down to the southern border...it's a lot of flat windy road.

For comfort, take a look at "The Comfort Triangle" Report at this LINK and make adjustments as needed. It will make a Big Difference!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-14-2018, 08:22 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I just remembered that on three trips west (trailering) I (we) took I-94 into Montana and dropped the trailer (twice in Cut Bank, once in Billings) and "loop" toured from there.
A few extra miles, but the roads are better (or was back then) the traffic seemed lighter and the scenery was at least different.

However, Uncle Larry is right about the Chicago traffic (and toll booths) so IF you are planning on going straight through there, I'd suggest that you consider working your schedule to go through there between the hours of 10:00AM to 3:00PM (especially on weekdays) OR wait until after the evening rush is over.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:44 PM
Roach450
Novice

As far as Jackson Hole goes, I was planning on a day or two visit. Check out the Tetons then move on. I plan on spending 8 days on the road. I’m just going there, then coming back. Yes, I plan on doing nothing but being in the saddle for 3600 miles over a period of 8 days. I kinda just picked it. Plus I liked the look of it in the movie Any which way but loose when Clint Eastwood fought William Smith. No rhyme or reason guys, just a destination.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:06 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

You'll be traveling 2/3 of the way across the country just to 'get there', then the same distance back, potentially all Super Slab due to the time constraint (8 days). If it were me, I'd post-phone a trip like this until I had the time to do it right. Nothing worse then being 'rushed' on a trip.

At that, the best riding from Jackson Hole is N and NW towards Idaho and Montana (Cody WY, Chief Joseph, Beartooth, Glacier, Lolo Pass etc). You'll arrive to a great area only to have to immediately turn around and leave.

If there are other areas of the country you haven't hit yet (Smokys come to mind) that would be a great alternative, and much closer to home.

Good luck.

Last edited by F150HD; 10-14-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:49 PM
Roach450
Novice

Thanks and advice taken. And I have family in Kansas I’ll be stopping at before heading back

Quick Reply: Planned Road Trip 2019