Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

What dream rides do you have planned for 2019?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 03:15 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by RATTLINRAM

June 9th, 2019,,,
I will leave my home in Hopewell VA and head for the West coast,,, this was a dream of my Dad's and the ninth would be his 90th birthday if he were still here with us. We lost Dad in 13 at the age of 83,,, just before his 84th birthday. He rode bikes from around 16 years old to around 81 years old.
I plan on taking 5 to 6 weeks with my 18 Anniversary Ultra Limited and ride. I will be turning 60 on February 2nd 2019, and this was why I bought the 18 as my other 13 bikes may not have been up to the challenge. Ten of those bikes are from Dad's collection and three are my older bikes.
I've got relatives in AZ, TX, CA, and WI so I hope to visit folks along the way.
Any tips/advice is always welcome.

DDT
Very cool tribute!!!!! Good luck!!!!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:17 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by road king Q
Well.... my son told me to make a hole for a trip with him this summer. Not a clue where we will go, maybe back to Smoky area? But it will be a great trip
God bless
There is nothing I enjoy more than sharing great motorcycle road trips than with my son and my wife when she can also get free to go. We've done several and hope some of next years will also include one or both of them. Unforgettable memories are always made!

Old 11-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Not sure yet. I'm attempting to ride in all lower 48 states over the next couple years. I think I currently have 29 that I've ridden a motorcycle in. While I lived in Virginia as a kid, never rode a bike there, and I have a lot of family still in central Virginia (Orange County), so I may do a trip to the north east this sometime in 2019. Also, since my work merged with another firm, there is a change on vacation/sick days. We used to get 10 sick days that if we didn't use we would get paid back for in December. Next year they will become paid time off days and added to our current vacation allotment and will be a "use them or loose them" type thing. So I will have 30 days off I will need to take, so can do a couple trips. Once I'm done with all the states or even before, I may do some of Canada.

Current states I've ridden to and in on one of my bikes. All of the trips originated from St. Louis.

Last edited by Dan28; 11-19-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Tjenson123
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Only been thinking about this ride for 10 years - finally retiring next month so next spring this is a go: Omaha - Key West - Madawaska, Maine - Blaine, Washington - San Ysidro, Ca and back to Omaha. The four corners tour - 12,000 miles or so. Not going to try and cram it into the 21 day window for a plaque as I want to stop and explore along the way. Civil War battlefields in the east - spectacular mountain rides in the west. Will try to avoid every interstate and chain restaurant I can.

Planning on six weeks but may take longer. Biggest worry - idiots on their cell phones and "I didn't see him officer" on the accident report.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:07 PM
HP1
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in England, so different destinations to all the posts above 🙂
My trip for 2019 will be to Poland, and I will take a week to do it. I aim to stop at, and stay in, Colditz Castle in Germany en route. It's probably not as famous in the US as it is in the UK; it's where the ***** held prisoners of war who were inveterate escapers. Some of the prisoners became quite famous after the war, and we had a great tv series about it in the 70's.
Of course this trip depends on the EU not invading us because of Brexit, or Putin not invading us because he feels adventurous 😁
Should be a good trip on my Heritage.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:20 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

We did Utah last summer, planning on staying a little closer (and cooler) this year, headed down the California coast for a few days based out of Fort Bragg.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:53 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,255 Likes on 8,518 Posts

One of the best kept secrets in California is Pismo Beach on the PCH.
Inexpensive and great climate. Clean beaches and fun bars,
Morro Bay deep sea fishing. Ride up PCH to Big Sur and Monterey. Hearst Castle.
Short ride to Paso Robles wineries and south to Santa Ynez and Santa Barbara wine country. And over to central pacific coast.
We go there to get away from San Diego and LA crowded beaches and use as a central location for wine tasting.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:41 PM
Detroitfalcon
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My long trip for summer of 2019 is to tour around the coast of Michigan's lower peninsula.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:28 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Detroitfalcon
My long trip for summer of 2019 is to tour around the coast of Michigan's lower peninsula.
Did the Michigan UP with my wife that was raised there as an Air Force brat during her 40th class reunion in 2016. She never got to see much more than Gwynn and Marquette whole living there. One of these days I hope to go back and see more of lower Michigan. We only did a very brief stint along the Lake Michigan shore.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:35 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tjenson123
Only been thinking about this ride for 10 years - finally retiring next month so next spring this is a go: Omaha - Key West - Madawaska, Maine - Blaine, Washington - San Ysidro, Ca and back to Omaha. The four corners tour - 12,000 miles or so. Not going to try and cram it into the 21 day window for a plaque as I want to stop and explore along the way. Civil War battlefields in the east - spectacular mountain rides in the west. Will try to avoid every interstate and chain restaurant I can.

Planning on six weeks but may take longer. Biggest worry - idiots on their cell phones and "I didn't see him officer" on the accident report.
About the only good thing I can say about the Keys is if you like seafood you're in the right place. Key West is fun for about a day at most. The Fish House and the Islandmorada Fish Company (part of Bass Pro Shops) are good places. Fish House is $$$ so if trying to save a little hit the Fish Company. Very reasonable. Many many other great seafood eateries there and we enjoyed eating a Cheese Burger in Paradise at Jimmy Buffets place in Key West. My daughter got married in the Keys in 2014 and we spent several days down there checking the islands out. Everything for me was just blah other than the party atmosphere of Key West. Flies and mosquitoes nearly carried us away where we were staying on Key Largo. I mean really really bad!!!

Last edited by tnriverluver; 11-19-2018 at 06:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tjenson123 (11-20-2018)

Quick Reply: What dream rides do you have planned for 2019?