Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

What dream rides do you have planned for 2019?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:05 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Going to DC for the last Rolling Thunder parade. It's like Sturgis, you have to do it at least once. Unfortunately this is the LAST YEAR for it.
Then on the way home doing the Skyline Drive/BRP/Cherohala Skyway. Over 600 miles of scenic 2 lane, very limited access road = breathtaking.
Then will do my annual Canadian HOG rally.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:09 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Going to DC for the last Rolling Thunder parade. It's like Sturgis, you have to do it at least once. Unfortunately this is the LAST YEAR for it.
Then on the way home doing the Skyline Drive/BRP/Cherohala Skyway. Over 600 miles of scenic 2 lane, very limited access road = breathtaking.
I'm hoping the organizers are able to pull off their plans of several regional events in place of the one big DC run. Time will tell. It would open it up to many others that like me can't make it to DC.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,809 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER

Any word on where the good places to stay are for the DC event in May? Looking at the website schedule the event is an entire weekend.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:20 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
Any word on where the good places to stay are for the DC event in May? Looking at the website schedule the event is an entire weekend.
Any place you can find is a good place - especially this year. I would make your reservations NOW!! Once everyone knows about it being the last one, rooms will fill up FAST. Which they do normally.
We've been staying at the Marriot Key Bridge for the last 10 years. I also booked a room in Falls Church just in case they decide to hike the price like they do in Sturgis. That's why I don't go to Sturgis anymore.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
I'm hoping the organizers are able to pull off their plans of several regional events in place of the one big DC run. Time will tell. It would open it up to many others that like me can't make it to DC.
Any particular reason you can't get to DC? Just curious. People come from all over the world and every state.
Medical, not enough time off work, too old, etc.
I like the one and only parade myself and like the ride to get there - BUT - you are right about a lot of people that can't make it for one reason or another. I think it would dilute the experience - same as if they had a Sturgis in different parts of the country. Just not the same. If the right people do it, it could be done, but it takes A LOT OF WORK and MONEY.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:15 PM
Kaution321
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody riding from LA to Canada this year? If so what month and how long a road trip?

Old 01-08-2019, 07:25 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Hoping to do California to Florida and back, in May. Couldn't get the trip done last summer, hoping it works out this year.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Rodzilla71
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll be throwing my bike on the trailer at end of March, pulling it down to a friends in northern Colorado, can't ride from home then. Will head south and east likely as weather is too unpredictable to be in the rocky mountains. And back in September I already did a trip through colorado, AZ and on to Vegas. I think I want to head down to the Ozarks, make a stop at Graceland, and maybe on to the Smokey mountains. But realistically I'm just going to travel around for 3-4 weeks following the best weather, thats how I plan most of my rides, with no plan until I see 2 week forecast just before I leave. I've got friends in Texas, might even end up down there, and New Orleans is a place I'd like to see. I'm camping out for 95% of the trip, and if you follow Adam Sandoval, I'd like to visit his campground as well. I'd like to hit Sturgis in the summer, but always seems to be a busy work time for me.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:37 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodzilla71
I'll be throwing my bike on the trailer at end of March, pulling it down to a friends in northern Colorado, can't ride from home then. Will head south and east likely as weather is too unpredictable to be in the rocky mountains. And back in September I already did a trip through colorado, AZ and on to Vegas. I think I want to head down to the Ozarks, make a stop at Graceland, and maybe on to the Smokey mountains. But realistically I'm just going to travel around for 3-4 weeks following the best weather, thats how I plan most of my rides, with no plan until I see 2 week forecast just before I leave. I've got friends in Texas, might even end up down there, and New Orleans is a place I'd like to see. I'm camping out for 95% of the trip, and if you follow Adam Sandoval, I'd like to visit his campground as well. I'd like to hit Sturgis in the summer, but always seems to be a busy work time for me.
Find Harrison Ark on a map. Draw a big circle around Harrison that stretches over to Fayetteville area and all the way around.. Attempt to ride every road in that circle, you won't be disappointed. Memphis? Carry a gun or 3.Seriously!!! At least a big *** knife since you are from Canada. Elvis's place is not in what you would consider a good area of Memphis.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 01-08-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Rodzilla71
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Find Harrison Ark on a map. Draw a big circle around Harrison that stretches over to Fayetteville area and all the way around.. Attempt to ride every road in that circle, you won't be disappointed. Memphis? Carry a gun or 3.Seriously!!! At least a big *** knife since you are from Canada. Elvis's place is not in what you would consider a good area of Memphis.
Thanks,,,I've been reading other Ozarks posts and gathering data. I never heard that Graceland was in a sketchy area, thats crazy, I'll keep a big knife on hand. I'm armed to the teeth at home, but sadly we can't carry, and of course I couldn't bring across border anyway. I love the rockies and riding out west, plus easy to camp on blm or national forests land, but most of that area is too cool in early april. I'm not really looking forward to riding across from Colorado to Arkansas, I've drove across on several routes and not that exciting, but that was on interstates. Hopefully backroads can make it more interesting. If anyone has ideas of places to see across northern TX or southern OK I'd be happy to hear them. The only notable things I've seen along there is Cadillac Ranch and Palo Duro Canyon.

Quick Reply: What dream rides do you have planned for 2019?