Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

How/what do you pack on LONG trips ?

Old 12-13-2018, 07:13 AM
Budco37
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How/what do you pack on LONG trips ?

My wife and I are going to do a west coast trip from Jacksonville Fl this spring. We;'re both retired so time on the road is not an issue. We have done several 2000+ mile trips the last couple years and have learned a few things that work for us. We do two full days of riding to a destination, then stay there for two days for a break. Our main issue is what to pack for this trip. We need to have clothes for all temperatures and weather so I'm thinking of either getting heated vests or multi-layer jackets/pants. Last trip we took two extra sets of clothes plus what we have on. Besides our clothes we bring tennis shoes, bathroom needs plus misc crap. My main issue the on last couple trips we have a bag that we secure to the luggage rack (with all our clothes) and it makes the bike (2014 Ultra Limited) even more top heavy than it is now. The main reason we put all our clothes in one bag is it makes things easier when getting to and leaving the hotel. We use one saddlebag for my small tool kit and our rain suits. The other bag has shoes/flip flops, bathroom stuff and some misc crap. We use the tourpak for things we usually need during the trip such as gloves, meds or snacks. I'm thinking we're going to need more room for this trip and I don't want to pull a trailer. I was thinking of putting a tow hitch on and putting a hitch rack in it to put the clothes bag in instead of on the tour pack. That will help with being so top heavy and when we get to our destination days we can put the rack in the hotel room out of the way. Can anyone offer any tips that would help on the trip? We're thinking it's going to be at least a 3 week trip so we want to have a routine to make things easier. What works for you ???

Old 12-21-2018, 07:42 AM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Sounds like a great trip, I think I would look at redistributing the weight instead of pulling a trailer. I usually put the heavier stuff in the saddlebags, pack the tour pack with light weight stuff, and use a waterproof bag for my jackets and rain gear on the tour pack rack (they are easy to get to and don't weigh much in comparison, but are bulky). We also don't carry a lot of extras, boots for riding and usually Sperry Top Siders (or the like) for our other footwear, light weight, comfortable, and usually is appropriate for most places we go to and can also be used as slippers. Our clothing is usually something casual, but in most nice places are acceptable. Also it depends on the time of the year you are going, that has a huge influence on how we pack as does the route you take. If you are taking the Southern roads (I try to not get on major highways) in summer you will rarely need heavy winter gear, unless you are going through the Rockies...in July Independence Pass has snow. Also if you are going to stay on the West Coast for a while visiting or sightseeing, you could UPS clothing to your destination and then UPS the dirty clothes back to your home when you leave (I have not done this, a riding partner and his wife have though). Like I said, it sounds like a great trip, have fun and I hope I helped in someway.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:43 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,657 Likes on 944 Posts

Sounds like you have lots of experience on long trips. You did say heated gear, that good stuff light weight good wind breakers. I would use heated gear to replace all of my winter things.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:03 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,314 Likes on 2,198 Posts

As much as you can fit. Find a motel with a laundry facility and do laundry on one or 2 days.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:22 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Is simply planning what you need and buying it out on the road an option? Instead of hauling it across the country. Academy, Walmart? Or ship it somewhere and pick it up later? Hiker style.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:11 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,047 Likes on 8,893 Posts

I find I need a day of rest about every 4 or five days, so plan my clothes so I can do laundry then. I am a big believer in headed grips and inner jacket. Even on hot days, it can be cool in the morning especially at elevation.... . I ride solo so what works for me, probably wont for you. One thing for sure, if you pack high and further back, it screws with the handling, especially in stop and go rush hour situations. Two summers ago, I did 13,000 miles in ten weeks on one ride, so I tend to over-pack, especially if I am going to get remote like that Alaska run was.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:50 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,454 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Necessary items are what you must have and cannot get on the road.
!. D/L, registration and insurance certificate.
2. Prescription medications (Be sure that you have them in their proper containers especially of you're crossing the Canadian or Mexican borders).
3. Extra bike key packed in luggage (not in locked saddlebags or tour pack), extra batteries for remote(s) for security system.
4. Cell phone and charger.
5. Major credit card (2 if you have) access to ATM cash availability and enough cash to run you for several days.
6. Never go on a trip without your leathers and rain gear!
7. I pack mostly T-shirts and one or maybe two nicer shirts that can be used for "evening wear" for dinner, etc., and three pairs of leans (plus the pair that I wear).
8. I pack my old underwear and socks and toss them as necessary
9. Tools-Think about what you really need and what you have the ability to use "on the road". A small mini-compressor and a tire repair kit can be a life saver!
Two-up riding requires a lot more thought as it severely limits the amount of clothing each person can take.

I have a cargo trailer (actually my second) and they came in handy when riding two-up on trips and I'd rather pull it than have the bike over-packed but when my wife rides her own bike (Heritage) she has nearly as much storage in her saddlebags and tour pack as I do on my Ultra.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

We pack clothes in vacuum bags....they tend to be a bit heavier so they are placed in trunk...but what she does is, pack all of the clothes needed for one day...( pants, shirts, socks, underwear ) and she will mark them as mon/tues/wed ..... once we get to hotel we take the vacuum bag and the toiletries to the hotel.
The toiletries are on the HD bag on top of the trunk easy on/off...
The next day the soiled clothes go back in the vacuum bag marked soiled back in the trunk and we move on....no need to pack/unpack the whole kit and kabudle....

Old 12-21-2018, 08:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,769 Likes on 17,439 Posts

Rule of thumb for packing for a road trip, put everything you both think you'll need on the bed in a pile. Immediately reduce that pile in half, half the clothes and extra what if gear in particular, once you have been out more than a week you'll find you still over packed. Can't tell you what to or not but if your honest from past experience how much **** did you haul around that didn't get used.

It's a bike trip, you need luggage take a cruise instead....

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-21-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:16 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,047 Likes on 8,893 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Rule of thumb for packing for a road trip, put everything you both think you'll need on the bed in a pile. Immediately reduce that pile in half, half the clothes and extra what if gear in particular, once you have been out more than a week you'll find you still over packed. Can't tell what to or not to but if your honest from past experience how much **** did you haul around that didn't get used.

It's a bike trip, you need luggage take a cruise instead....
The Good Ship ....

... SS Darla.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How/what do you pack on LONG trips ?