Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/)
-   -   Riding in Canada from the states (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/1264528-riding-in-canada-from-the-states.html)

2AMGuy 12-20-2018 12:45 AM

I can't count the number of times that I've crossed the U.S-Canada border into nearly every Province from the east coast to the west coast.
Standard questions usually and once or twice a random vehicle/trailer check when towing snowmobiles.
I guess the biggest issue I had many years ago (due to the "mad cow" disease issue) was when I was going snowmobiling and crossed into Canada a Sault Ste. Marie and I had packed a frozen pizza (with pepperoni) in with some other items in my cooler.
The Canadian BP person asked me what was in the cooler and when she heard me say pepperoni I thought for a while that was either going to lock me up or send me packing back home!
After a few minutes of arguing I told her that either I would throw it in the garbage, she could have it!
Finally I saw a little grin (she tried to hide it), she said "go ahead but don't bring another pepperoni pizza again". ;)

Like others have already stated, have ALL of your paperwork (including vehicle registration and insurance certificate) handy, listen to their questions carefully and you shouldn't have any problems.

Architect 12-21-2018 05:31 AM

My father in law, retired NYPD, was crossing into Canada with his motor home. He heard all the stories about firearms, he left everything with his son before the trip. Gets to the border and the decide he needs to pull over and the camper searched. After about an hour they find his pistol cleaning kit!!!! That was it, game on, where is the gun sir!!!!! He tells his story, shows his retired ID, still took several hours before the let him in. The Canadians were not amused.

Friends in college in Upstate NY were crossing the border to go get some good Canadian beer for a party they were having that night. That was they day they learned that when the agent says "how long do you plan on being in Canada" that "Only a couple of hours" is the way wrong answer. They were young ans stupid, several hours of searching and prodding, and they never got the beer.

Back-n-Black 12-21-2018 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Architect (Post 17898388)
No firearms or weapons of any kind.

Looks like I'll never ride in Canada....

Kingglide549 12-21-2018 07:07 AM

We run North up and around Sue St Marie, going west and is about the same mileage.
The border is a small hassle compared to going aropund Chicago.
I do it every time.

harleyfiremedic 12-27-2018 05:07 PM

Thanks all, great info!!!!

TriGeezer 12-27-2018 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black (Post 17904876)

I’m considering a trip from Southern Cal to Alaska. All of the states I will ride through I have a CCW, and I’d like to have a handgun in Alaska. What do I have to do, UPS on there?

HGM 12-28-2018 06:24 PM

I crossed In Madawaska/Edmonton a couple of years ago, came back through Vermont. The only thing I was certain about was no guns and I'd need a passport or berth cert.. Before I crossed, I talked to some of the locals and most of them had an odd "I wouldn't do it" attitude.. I finally stopped by the Ft. Kent, US side office and caught an officer in the parking lot. He told me about the DUI rules and I chuckled, said "I thought it was a pre-requisite"(most Canadians I know are big drinkers)........ He looked at me cockeyed and said, be careful.. That's where I learned my sarcasm wasn't going to be accepted well... As for other lessons, call your cell phone company and let them know you'll be in Canada. If you don't, you'll be charged out of country roaming charges.. Otherwise, a polite persona, answering their questions will likely leave you thinking its not a big deal.. I'm heading up through MI to Alaska next summer, just need to figure out what will fly, in regards to personal protection.. The folding knife thing was news to me...

rtbuck89 12-28-2018 07:48 PM

I pass from Buffalo into Ontario once a year. I have never had problems getting into Canada. Its the US border agents (when coming back into the US) that have given me the biggest hassle.

Buzz 3 12-31-2018 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black (Post 17904876)

I am with you there. Ride from Michigan to Upstate NY a couple times a year and even though it takes a little longer, I go through Ohio and PA.

I have no desire at all to go into Canada. Was going to go over for work and had to fill out a form that asked if I had ever been in the military, where I was deployed and if I had ever witnessed any war crimes. Really???? Kiss my US Army ass Canada.......

ROUNDHEAD 01-01-2019 08:37 AM

Sounds like a big hassle to me. I don't ride without my knife and rarely do without the .38 sp.