Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Gear for Touring....

Old 12-20-2018, 01:14 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,070 Likes on 8,907 Posts
Default Gear for Touring....

This thread will be for all the gear that you pack for touring, both short and long distance. Things like Camping gear, tools, accessories you cant live without, or just take on account of. Please share what works and what did not. If you have field tested it that would be very helpful. Pictures are encouraged. I think it would be good to have an archive in one place so those who have not toured, or even those that have, can see what works.

The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
Aluminum13 (09-30-2019), cy H (04-25-2020)

Top Answer

12-20-2018, 01:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,222 Likes on 11,133 Posts

This is my overnight gear:

Old 12-20-2018, 01:19 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,070 Likes on 8,907 Posts

I will start....

Here is my “Sleep System ..... the tent is A MSR 2 man tent. This gives enough room for one person and gear storage. The cot (Thermarest) folds up into a small bag, an air mattress to keep your back warm (the cot has a mesh that lets cold air come up) and a 32 degree sleeping bag (a necessity in the mountains and high plains). I also carry a wool blanket to toss over on very cold nights. I hate being uncomfortable at night and all of my camping gear fits into a 25 Ltr Waterproof bag.....

The fly goes all the way to ground which is nice to keep the rain out...

...lots of open mesh to keep cool in the summer...

I hate sleeping on the ground.

The following 4 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
51 New west (11-06-2019), Don Don (08-27-2019), Traxxx (07-26-2020), Yee Hog (12-09-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 01:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,222 Likes on 11,133 Posts

The following 17 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
18deluxerider (11-08-2019), 2wheelwanderer (07-26-2020), Acedoc (03-06-2020), Big_Iron (05-25-2019), cacomly (10-24-2019), CanadianRocky (12-20-2018), deadhawg (12-08-2019), Derbywiz (02-15-2022), LoneBone (11-06-2019), mskirwin (08-22-2019), mykaos (12-26-2018), n5tf (01-19-2019), slodsm (01-15-2019), Texcuda (06-04-2021), Traxxx (07-26-2020), Usefulnut (07-23-2020), vianos (02-25-2020) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-26-2018, 11:15 PM
mykaos
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Packing for my "Big Rides" which are 13 - 19 days, 6,000 mi +/- usually end of April beginning of May. As well please keep in mind when I'm out riding, it's just that. I'm riding, not playing tourist (I consider myself a traveler, not a dang tourist) not going on hikes, not shopping, not worrying about fancy eatin places (just looking for the GOOD eatin places) or the local night life, it's all about the ride. I'm blessed that my G/F shares the exact same view.
Short weekend + trips I may leave out the heated gear and just carry a couple of sets of base layers. Summer time short trips the Klim Lattitude gear tends to get replaced w/ Klim Induction mesh gear. Laptop usually always goes with.

1st and foremost, prepare, prepare, prepare..keep your maintenance up on the bike as well as your gear and yourself. I always head out on a "Big Ride" w/ fresh tires and service whether it's due or not.

In the bike no matter what:
Little air compressor (had a Harbor Freight $9.99 special that lasted me almost 3 years, just replaced it w/ the HD one, actually bought 2 of them)
Tire plug kit (so far, only used it on my truck in my driveway )
Small jumper cables (never used so far)
Flashlight / headlamp (used the headlight a couple of times)
Leatherman (haven't used it yet)
Couple of allen wrenches (readjust highway pegs after having a stupid moment )
Small vise grips (used once to remove the backrest on the Corbin on my BMW)
Spare fuses (haven't used yet)
Couple of zipties
Aleve
Anything else, between me and a credit card or cash, it will get figured it out.

Gear (this can be very subjective and a matter of personal preference):
ALL my outer wear contains Gortex, it breaths and is waterproof, period. I can and have ridden multiple back to back days in the rain and I stay dry.
Klim Lattitude jacket and pants
BMW Tour boots
Shoei Neotech helmet (in process of switching to a Schuberth C4)
Kuiu jacket for a mid-layer (very light and packs small)
Leather gloves
Heated gear: jacket, pant liner, socks, gloves (allows me to ride ALL day in 30* temps)
People Socks wool socks (carry 3 pair)(hand wash easy and dry overnight)
Cycle Gears latest edition of Heat Out or Go Athletics for base layer (carry 3 sets)(hand wash easy and dry overnight)
1 pair of jeans (might get worn once)
1 T shirt (might get worn once)
Swim trunks for the jacuzzi at the motel.

Which leads me to sleeping:
Credit Card = motel, generally no reservations, where ever I end up that day is where I stay. Someone else gets to make the bed, fix breakfast and I get a spot to clean up myself and my base layer..let's not forget internet..

Health:
Aleve
Sunscreen (I do not tan, I burn)
Reading glasses
Sun glasses
Hat
Water (I have a camelpack w/ at least 2 bottles dumped in it and another 4-6 bottles in my little cooler at the start of EVERY day)
Snacks (tuna packages, reasonably healthy candy bar like things)
Baby wipes (you never know..... plus they are handy)
Needed toiletries (your choice)

Misc:
Roll of quarters for the car wash (to keep up w/ the bugs, road grime or even mud )
Small bottle of quick detailer (to attempt to keep up on the windshield and the helmet)
Couple of micro fiber towels
Phone (stopped carrying a camera)
Laptop
Butler maps
Charge cubes / cords for the phone and the Sena's
UPS / Feds ex are your friends...at least w/ me, I always seem to end up w/ "stuff" or extra gear that I have no clue why i brought it, so I ship it home...

Safety:
Keep a keen awareness of your surroundings,
Listen to your gut feelings,
Be respectful,
Be a traveler, not a tourist,
You'll be just fine.

The following 12 users liked this post by mykaos:
attaboy15 (11-06-2019), Brush35 (04-09-2023), Campbell75 (02-27-2020), CanadianRocky (01-17-2019), Ed Schwartzbach (11-29-2019), IdahoHacker (12-26-2018), Luvmyroadking (09-28-2020), raylc (11-28-2023), RichM752 (12-27-2018), Traxxx (07-26-2020), TRM55 (08-14-2020), vianos (02-25-2020) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

Your back is going to be sore next morning if that's your ground cushion

The following users liked this post:
raylc (11-28-2023)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:27 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

You can always over pack we all do it just bring what you think your going to use you can always buy things you need. Good Luck Enjoy

Old 04-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Tjroadie
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Pack Light

Just basics, rain gear, 3 change of clothes worn multiple times before laundry. Warm gear, tire plugs, a compact bicycle pump, tie wire, duct tape, zip ties, oil, somebody usually needs it. Sun screen, band aids. Anything you don't have that's need can be bought that's the fun of stopping getting coffee or snacks and talking to the locals. Maps if anyone still uses them.

The following users liked this post:
Traxxx (07-26-2020)
Old 05-27-2019, 02:11 AM
alaxjordan0
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
This thread will be for all the gear that you pack for touring, both short and long distance. Things like Camping gear, tools, accessories you cant live without, or just take on account of. Please share what works and what did not. If you have field tested it that would be very helpful. Pictures are encouraged. I think it would be good to have an archive in one place so those who have not toured, or even those that have, can see what works.
Excellent suggestion. I love to make a tour for short and long and make many toured in my life. Your pack is must be helpful for all traveling. This pack makes a better traveling for the tourist.
Cheers,
Thanks

Old 08-21-2019, 09:27 PM
Toooldto
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I made my longest ride a few days ago. Left in the morning to see a previous classmate. It was a 270+ round trip, in one day. It was great weather. I took some things I thought i'd need in case I was to stay overnight. I took water, shirt, pants, hat,socks, tools, oil, notebook, pencil, oil, bungees, small tarp. and my phone. I drank some water and didn't use any of the other stuff. My ride was from Red Bluff to Willow
Creek. It was a very nice curvy road. I learned more how to ride on that ride. I have only ridden two years and not very often so far. I rode when I was a teen. Now in my 70's and having a blast. Bought my
sportster two years ago. I had my neighbor ride it home for me. Then I got my license and took the state safety course. Then practice, practice, practice. This ride taught me to be more loose. I was riding too
tense before. I want to ride to Medford Oregon on my next trip. I have a place to stay there. Each ride will need it's own gear and supplies list.

The following 3 users liked this post by Toooldto:
BigDogIdaho (08-02-2020), M4i2k2e2 (09-06-2019), Traxxx (07-26-2020)
Old 10-24-2019, 02:03 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

I pretty much pack the same way whether it is for a weekend or a week or more.

I wear riding gear so my outer layer is basically set for the trip. I will take one or two changes of base layers, four pair of socks, and my shaving kit.
For when I am not riding I will take two shirts, a pair of shorts, and maybe a pair of jeans. I have a pair of docksiders I will take so I am not wearing my boots with shorts
If my trip is long enough where these won't do I simply wash everything. My base layers are made of high wicking material so I can rinse in the sink, wring out, squeeze in a towel, and they will be dry by morning

I normally have several pair of gloves, fingerless, lightweight, gauntlets, waterproof, heated, and a set of heated glove liners. Some of these may come out in July or August, but I have worn heated gloves in June and September. Most will be in my left saddlebag except for any that I think I may need that day

Tools I keep in the bike in my fight saddlebag. I have almost any tool you can imagine except a torque wrench and the sockets I need to pull the primary chain. I do have an air compressor and tire plug kit, and a jump start battery. Also have a quart or two of oil in my left saddlebag

The only change I make is when I am riding in the Iron Butt Rally and a significant delay would put me out of the rally. I will add my service manual and a spare drive belt, plus my laptop. I am considering adding a spare regulator as they are not always stocked by dealers. I'll also take more non-riding clothes as I usually have some down time prior to the rally. These I keep in a separate bag on my luggage rack mainly so I can leave them behind while in the rally.

Of course I now have 3 bikes, so if I take something other than my 2006 Sportster I need to move what I need to the bike I am taking. I remember to do that most of the time.

Some may wonder where I keep all this on my Sportster. Well it's been modified just a bit ...

The following 6 users liked this post by cacomly:
51 New west (11-06-2019), Acedoc (03-06-2020), alex_vandyke (07-16-2020), Traxxx (07-26-2020), TRM55 (08-14-2020), Yee Hog (12-09-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gear for Touring....