Gear for Touring.... - Harley Davidson Forums

Notices
Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Gear for Touring....

Old 12-20-2018, 02:14 PM
CanadianRocky
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,106 Posts
Default Gear for Touring....

This thread will be for all the gear that you pack for touring, both short and long distance. Things like Camping gear, tools, accessories you cant live without, or just take on account of. Please share what works and what did not. If you have field tested it that would be very helpful. Pictures are encouraged. I think it would be good to have an archive in one place so those who have not toured, or even those that have, can see what works.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:19 PM
CanadianRocky
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,106 Posts

I will start....

Here is my “Sleep System ..... the tent is A MSR 2 man tent. This gives enough room for one person and gear storage. The cot (Thermarest) folds up into a small bag, an air mattress to keep your back warm (the cot has a mesh that lets cold air come up) and a 32 degree sleeping bag (a necessity in the mountains and high plains). I also carry a wool blanket to toss over on very cold nights. I hate being uncomfortable at night and all of my camping gear fits into a 25 Ltr Waterproof bag.....

The fly goes all the way to ground which is nice to keep the rain out...

...lots of open mesh to keep cool in the summer...

I hate sleeping on the ground.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:33 PM
TriGeezer
Supporter
Thanked 2,891 Times in 1,637 Posts

This is my overnight gear:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriGeezer For This Useful Post:
CanadianRocky (12-20-2018), mykaos (12-27-2018), slodsm (Yesterday)
Old 12-27-2018, 12:15 AM
mykaos

Packing for my "Big Rides" which are 13 - 19 days, 6,000 mi +/- usually end of April beginning of May. As well please keep in mind when I'm out riding, it's just that. I'm riding, not playing tourist (I consider myself a traveler, not a dang tourist) not going on hikes, not shopping, not worrying about fancy eatin places (just looking for the GOOD eatin places) or the local night life, it's all about the ride. I'm blessed that my G/F shares the exact same view.
Short weekend + trips I may leave out the heated gear and just carry a couple of sets of base layers. Summer time short trips the Klim Lattitude gear tends to get replaced w/ Klim Induction mesh gear. Laptop usually always goes with.

1st and foremost, prepare, prepare, prepare..keep your maintenance up on the bike as well as your gear and yourself. I always head out on a "Big Ride" w/ fresh tires and service whether it's due or not.

In the bike no matter what:
Little air compressor (had a Harbor Freight $9.99 special that lasted me almost 3 years, just replaced it w/ the HD one, actually bought 2 of them)
Tire plug kit (so far, only used it on my truck in my driveway )
Small jumper cables (never used so far)
Flashlight / headlamp (used the headlight a couple of times)
Leatherman (haven't used it yet)
Couple of allen wrenches (readjust highway pegs after having a stupid moment )
Small vise grips (used once to remove the backrest on the Corbin on my BMW)
Spare fuses (haven't used yet)
Couple of zipties
Aleve
Anything else, between me and a credit card or cash, it will get figured it out.

Gear (this can be very subjective and a matter of personal preference):
ALL my outer wear contains Gortex, it breaths and is waterproof, period. I can and have ridden multiple back to back days in the rain and I stay dry.
Klim Lattitude jacket and pants
BMW Tour boots
Shoei Neotech helmet (in process of switching to a Schuberth C4)
Kuiu jacket for a mid-layer (very light and packs small)
Leather gloves
Heated gear: jacket, pant liner, socks, gloves (allows me to ride ALL day in 30* temps)
People Socks wool socks (carry 3 pair)(hand wash easy and dry overnight)
Cycle Gears latest edition of Heat Out or Go Athletics for base layer (carry 3 sets)(hand wash easy and dry overnight)
1 pair of jeans (might get worn once)
1 T shirt (might get worn once)
Swim trunks for the jacuzzi at the motel.

Which leads me to sleeping:
Credit Card = motel, generally no reservations, where ever I end up that day is where I stay. Someone else gets to make the bed, fix breakfast and I get a spot to clean up myself and my base layer..let's not forget internet..

Health:
Aleve
Sunscreen (I do not tan, I burn)
Reading glasses
Sun glasses
Hat
Water (I have a camelpack w/ at least 2 bottles dumped in it and another 4-6 bottles in my little cooler at the start of EVERY day)
Snacks (tuna packages, reasonably healthy candy bar like things)
Baby wipes (you never know..... plus they are handy)
Needed toiletries (your choice)

Misc:
Roll of quarters for the car wash (to keep up w/ the bugs, road grime or even mud )
Small bottle of quick detailer (to attempt to keep up on the windshield and the helmet)
Couple of micro fiber towels
Phone (stopped carrying a camera)
Laptop
Butler maps
Charge cubes / cords for the phone and the Sena's
UPS / Feds ex are your friends...at least w/ me, I always seem to end up w/ "stuff" or extra gear that I have no clue why i brought it, so I ship it home...

Safety:
Keep a keen awareness of your surroundings,
Listen to your gut feelings,
Be respectful,
Be a traveler, not a tourist,
You'll be just fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mykaos For This Useful Post:
IdahoHacker (12-27-2018), RichM752 (12-27-2018)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 PM
MacTarnahan
Senior Rider
Smile

Originally Posted by TriGeezer View Post
This is my overnight gear:

Your back is going to be sore next morning if that's your ground cushion

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: