Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

WY/Montana 2019 Trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:54 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,105 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Map this out .......Missoula, Lolo, Lolo Pass, Lewiston, Enterprise, Hells Canyon, McBride, Stanley, Galena Pass, Sun Valley, Craters of the Moon :....... no disappointments...... Bucket list Roads.

The following users liked this post:
CrBear (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 05:50 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

If you have never been, I would spend a couple of days in Yellowstone. You can ride Going to the Sun Road both ways easily in a day. Take a dip in Lake Macdonald. It hit 100 degrees this past summer in Glacier on my first day there. The next day I wore a jacket till after lunch. Lolo Pass is a nice ride as mentioned. I try to go out there every year and it's always solo. You have one person to satisfy.

CrBear (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 10:49 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Thanks Guys, first swag OR as long as the old ****/Harley holds up.
Taking your advice on a lot of locations!
Day 1-2 Trailer to Riverton
Day 3 - Riverton, Yellowstone, Cody (296,212)
Day 4 - Cody, Red Lodge, Helena
Day 5 - Helena, Columbia Falls, Glacier
Day 6 - Lolo Pass, Lewiston
Day 7 - Hells Canyon, New Plymouth
Day 8 - Stanley, Sun Valley, Cater of the Moon
Day 9 - Thru Teton NF to Riverton
Then 2 days back to Dallas !

Old 12-21-2018, 11:40 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,105 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by CrBear
Thanks Guys, first swag OR as long as the old ****/Harley holds up.
Taking your advice on a lot of locations!
Day 1-2 Trailer to Riverton
Day 3 - Riverton, Yellowstone, Cody (296,212)
Day 4 - Cody, Red Lodge, Helena
Day 5 - Helena, Columbia Falls, Glacier
Day 6 - Lolo Pass, Lewiston
Day 7 - Hells Canyon, New Plymouth
Day 8 - Stanley, Sun Valley, Cater of the Moon
Day 9 - Thru Teton NF to Riverton
Then 2 days back to Dallas !

Nice.... Stop for Pie at the bottom of the Rattlesnake pass (south of Lewiston).

Make sure you get to Cody on any day but Sunday, as there is a Gunfight in front of the Irma (just not on Sundays), don't sit in the front row or you might be dancing with Ms Kitty like I was... Have a whiskey at the bar in the Irma like Buffalo Bill did.... go to the Museum, one of the best there is anywhere. You can rent a Gatling Gun in one of the businesses and blow the hell out of a T-shirt if you wish. "A Western Rose" motel in Cody is where I stay, very motorcycle friendly and you can park right in front of your room, and close enough to walk downtown ( I would suggest booking there as soon as you know your dates, it fills up quickly), but I always ride down and park in front of the Irma.... If the Frisbee dog is there, throw it for him a couple of times.

Take a lunch when you go over the Hells canyon road and stop at the look out and eat there.

Make sure you ride through the Park in Craters of the Moon and walk up The Dome.

No matter how busy it is up at the Pass up on The Road To The Sun, pull in, as there is always Motorcycle parking up there.

BigDukeSix (12-22-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:42 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

Very Cool ! Thanks brother..

CanadianRocky (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 03:29 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

When I rode thru Glacier a few years back, I got to the top and there were 2 local fellas pulled over....so I did too (despite some traffic). Turns out they'd brought up a 12 pack of beer and were sitting drinking it there lol. They offered me one and I absolutely took it. Breathtaking area.

Worth noting for OP west of the Rockies it gets pretty hot, drops off to desert, you'll feel it in Lewiston. Kinda weird after driving thru the likes of Glacier etc

Old 12-21-2018, 03:39 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

I would have joined them ! I experienced the "layers" last year. Rode to North Rim, Zion, Bryce Canyon. Was mid 40's when we left those places. By the time we got down to Mexican Hat/Monument Valley, we were sweating our butts off, 90's. Then rode through a hail storm to Durango ! All kinds of weather on the road, I just chalk it up to an Adventure !

Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 AM
BigDukeSix
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Make sure you get to Cody on any day but Sunday, as there is a Gunfight in front of the Irma (just not on Sundays), don't sit in the front row or you might be dancing with Ms Kitty like I was... Have a whiskey at the bar in the Irma like Buffalo Bill did.... go to the Museum, one of the best there is anywhere. You can rent a Gatling Gun in one of the businesses and blow the hell out of a T-shirt if you wish. "A Western Rose" motel in Cody is where I stay, very motorcycle friendly and you can park right in front of your room, and close enough to walk downtown ( I would suggest booking there as soon as you know your dates, it fills up quickly), but I always ride down and park in front of the Irma.... If the Frisbee dog is there, throw it for him a couple of times.
That sounds great - I'm putting Cody on the list this year. It's only six hours away from me...

Old 12-31-2018, 06:16 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Thats a lot of riding and not a lot of time for exploring. You could easily spend a week around Cody to Red Lodge between riding and yellowstone. I've been there 3 times from virginia and never have emough time to see everything. Anyway, Glacier is a nice park to explore with good hiking trails. There is a very nice town called Kalispell we stayed at right outside Glacier.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:07 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

I know Kojak, right now its a "want" to. Things may change down the road, but we usually don't stay long in places. It will be ride and explore as we go ! Kind of like we do Colorado the past 3 years. Ride different sections each year.

Quick Reply: WY/Montana 2019 Trip