Notices
Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Smokey Mountain road trip this year

Old 12-26-2018, 02:17 PM
champ198
One Of The Regulars
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Smokey Mountain road trip this year

This year wife and I are gonna take the bike and head to the Smokey Mountains.
I have our senic route planned out pretty well and we aare just gonna hit hotels and motels on the way down and back.
we have a week worth of time we are gonna take but was looking for some ideas on some rides down in the smokies.
one if have planned to do is a small loop that I figured out starting in townsend TN and heading to US 129 HD then the tail of the dragon to Cherokee HD to Hillbilly HD in Gattlinberg to Rocky Top HD in Pigeon forge and back to Townsend

what are some other good loops you all have done.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:44 PM
kojak
Road Warrior
Received 302 Likes on 137 Posts

Lots of great rides around the area. We go every other year in the fall. Always stay in Maggie Valley, a great base to ride the smokies. Get a riders map when you stop at one of the local harley dealers, it has all the loops marked on it. You could easily spend all week riding and not do half of them. The rattler is a good ride, cherohala skyway is a good ride, too many to list.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:51 PM
garyl
One Of The Regulars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Maggie Valley, Wheels through Time was a neat stop for us. And after watching your avatar, cant seem to remember anything else.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:58 PM
Raider Bill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 292 Likes on 173 Posts

Foot Hills Parkway has just been completed. Worth the time. Cherohala Skyway is always great as is the Blue Ridge Park Way.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:58 PM
sire86
One Of The Regulars
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak View Post
Lots of great rides around the area. We go every other year in the fall. Always stay in Maggie Valley, a great base to ride the smokies. Get a riders map when you stop at one of the local harley dealers, it has all the loops marked on it. You could easily spend all week riding and not do half of them. The rattler is a good ride, cherohala skyway is a good ride, too many to list.
Agreed, just did the rattler NC 209 from Hot Springs to Maggie Valley , Wheels Through Time museum then Blue Ridge pkwy to Asheville NC . Not a bad road in the area .

Old 12-26-2018, 03:07 PM
smitty901
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,194 Likes on 848 Posts

Great place to ride. We go there often. How long will you stay in the area and is there any thing there your wife would like to do . Like one of the dinner shows at Dolly wood or anything like that. There is so much to see and do there hard to pick one or two.
As much as I would many times like to get on the bike and stop of nothing but food . I find it best to take in a few things she would like to see also. Truth is I also enjoy most of them. Reservations already made for end of May.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:24 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

This link really needs to be a sticky ..

http://www.snowmobilenystores.com/Mo...lina_p_16.html

Old 12-26-2018, 03:49 PM
im
Elite HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

Moon Shiner 28 if you like nice scenic roads, several waterfalls and think riding over a Dam might be cool. If you read about moonshiner 28 then it makes it even more interesting.
Cherohala Skyway if you like next to zero traffic for about 1.5 hours, wide open scenic views at cloud level, one scenic waterfall, a stop for lunch on a river at a small eatery with a Haley T-shirt store nearby at western end.
A ride down to Helen Georgia with great roads along the way and an unusual stop at bar/restaurant under the bridge in Helen. *you pay for parking in Helen, Ga about $5

Old 12-27-2018, 01:57 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by im View Post
Moon Shiner 28 if you like nice scenic roads, several waterfalls and think riding over a Dam might be cool. If you read about moonshiner 28 then it makes it even more interesting.
Cherohala Skyway if you like next to zero traffic for about 1.5 hours, wide open scenic views at cloud level, one scenic waterfall, a stop for lunch on a river at a small eatery with a Haley T-shirt store nearby at western end.
A ride down to Helen Georgia with great roads along the way and an unusual stop at bar/restaurant under the bridge in Helen. *you pay for parking in Helen, Ga about $5
I second all of that. The tail of the dragon is a "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt" kind of road. Everyone likes to say they've done it, but it's not as fun as you would think (and VERY short) and not scenic at all. Moonshiner 28 is better on both scores and the Cherohala is MUCH better. My buddies and I stopped near the Tellico Springs end at Bald River Falls

Old 12-27-2018, 05:00 PM
smitty901
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,194 Likes on 848 Posts

This will be a must see in the area.

https://www.wate.com/news/local-news...way/1579362616

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: