Dessert Trip in July - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums

Notices
Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Dessert Trip in July

Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM
cacomly
Road Captain

To add to the wet tshirt thing, ideally you want most of the zippers closed with the cuffs open and the neck open just enough to let air out. Unfortunately that does not work well for me because my forearms are too big and they block the airflow up mu sleeves so I cheat and put a 5-10 pound bag of ice inside my jacket when it really warms up. As it melts it keep your shirt wet.

And hydrate!!! It is really easy to forget to do so when checking out the scenery. I got badly dehydrated during a rally in 2016 and it took me 2 days to recover.

And Winslow is cool, plus it is right on Rt 66

Last edited by cacomly; 01-04-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:37 PM
switchglide12

I was there last July it was hot, wet t-shirt does really works. DO NOT wear any mesh clothing. Utah 12 US 89 and 89A is a must ride. I did camp as well. Desert does cool down at night. I had my light weight sleeping bag 40*F had to ship it home got myself 30*F sleeping bag from Walmart. Enjoy your trip happy 50th.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Edster 69
One Of The Regulars

Originally Posted by switchglide12 View Post
I was there last July it was hot, wet t-shirt does really works. DO NOT wear any mesh clothing. Utah 12 US 89 and 89A is a must ride. I did camp as well. Desert does cool down at night. I had my light weight sleeping bag 40*F had to ship it home got myself 30*F sleeping bag from Walmart. Enjoy your trip happy 50th.
Thanks switchglide12

Old 01-10-2019, 11:42 AM
roadmutt

Get a hydration pack and sip some water every 15 minutes whether you feel like it or not.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:40 PM
Passing Lane
Senior Rider

A wet bandanna around your neck makes a huge difference

Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 PM
F150HD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Edster 69 View Post
Hey Peeps!

Happy New Year! Planning a 9 day 50th Birthday trip thru the dessert in July. We plan on renting Harley’s from Eagle Rider in Vegas. We want to ride thru Nevada, Utah, Arizona and California. Any route recommendations and must ride/sites to see? We plan on camping for the most part so any campsite recommendations would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Edster
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...alley-etc.html

a large target area for 9 days IMO. May want to focus on the high points. UT alone could eat up 1/2 your trip and it has some cool areas. Inland CA has all the parks. AZ is its own beast.

Camping in the heat....I did it in some areas, but in some it was just too hot.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:43 PM
keith_stepp
Extreme HDF Member

The best desert riding, by far, in that part of the world is Death Valley. After that, Monument Valley. I've heard good things about the Valley of Fire too. Then there is Oatman, which is a must do and I like the ride between Bullhead City and Parker.

But, riding any of that in July is just crazy talk. It is very hard to stay hydrated between 10 and 2; and you run the very real risk of developing heat exhaustion or worse, even if you do manage to stay hydrated. The heat kills people in AZ every year; people who think they can "handle it".

Oh and... the wet t-shirt idea will keep you cool, but only for a short period of time. Expect to stop frequently, find some shade, hydrate, and cool off. Not easy to do in the desert, where there are long stretches of empty highway.

Good luck with that idea, but I would recommend doing it in either April or October instead.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:11 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Ultimate HDF Member
Thanked 1,274 Times in 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Edster 69 View Post
Hey Peeps!

Happy New Year! Planning a 9 day 50th Birthday trip thru the dessert in July. We plan on renting Harley’s from Eagle Rider in Vegas. We want to ride thru Nevada, Utah, Arizona and California. Any route recommendations and must ride/sites to see? We plan on camping for the most part so any campsite recommendations would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Edster
Wrong time, Ed. January is the month you should be riding in Vegas/Nevada/Calif/Arizona deserts. Not too late to make plans for Feb though...or March.

Going during summertime is down right dangerous (and NOT enjoyable.)

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 01-14-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: