Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/)
-   -   Summer trip (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/1266219-summer-trip.html)

kojak 01-03-2019 04:54 PM

Summer trip

Every year, my wife and I go for a long trip out west. Here is our trip for this year. Cant wait, its mostly new territory for us, we've done Co, Wy, Mo, Bc. Going south this time.
Leave VA on Day 1 and stop at Kansas City.Arrive Colorado Spring on Day 2
Ride Pikes Peak, Hang out in Manitou Springs
Leave Day 4 and drive 352 miles to Farmington NM.Arrive Farmington, NM
Ride the train Durango to Silverton Co
Hang out at Pagosa Springs
Do the Million Dollar Highway
Ride to Ouray, CO (Switzerland of the Rockies)
Leave Day 9 and drive 300 miles to Canyon De Chelly, AZ
Arrive Canyon De Chelly
Ride Grand Canyon National Park
Leave Day 11 and drive 323 miles to Moab Utah
Arrive Moab Utah
Visit Arches National Park
Hang out downtown
Leave Moab on Day 13 and drive 431 miles to Coloarado Springs and back home to VA.
All together 15 days, 6000 miles in Silverado and about 2500 miles on Harley.

Grandslam 01-03-2019 09:25 PM

Heck of a trip. Awesome that your wife goes. A few suggestions:
Do Pikes Peak maybe in the morning. When I went, I got there one afternoon and the worker at the gate started pulling up the weather. I had just rode through some rain, but he was worried about lightning. He said it would be better to come back in the morning. I did without an argument.

Durango, ride the train up to Silverton, but pay a little extra and ride the bus back.

Pagosa Springs, go to the Spa. I really enjoyed it. I went years ago while elk hunting in the area. It cost like $20 a number of years back.

I did not see when you are going. One year when I went over to Moab, it was in August. We pulled into Moab and it was like 107. It was hot.

ROUNDHEAD 01-04-2019 06:23 AM

That's a great trip. Plan on spending some time in Silverton. Eat lunch at Handlebars.

kojak 01-04-2019 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Grandslam (Post 17934262)
I did not see when you are going. One year when I went over to Moab, it was in August. We pulled into Moab and it was like 107. It was hot.

Going mid june. Thanks to both of you for suggestions.

Cosmic Razorback 01-04-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by kojak (Post 17933584)
Every year, my wife and I go for a long trip out west. Here is our trip for this year. Cant wait, its mostly new territory for us, we've done Co, Wy, Mo, Bc. Going south this time.

Leave Moab on Day 13 and drive 431 miles to Coloarado Springs and back home to VA.
All together 15 days, 6000 miles in Silverado and about 2500 miles on Harley.

Okay, I was thinking WOW, what a ride and then got to the end there. That will be an AWESOME trip. I want to do something similar one day. Like you I will have to trailer some. Just too far unless you have 30 days and lots of cash $$$$$$$.

Enjoy and I look forward to the report and pictures.

kojak 01-04-2019 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback (Post 17936237)
Okay, I was thinking WOW, what a ride and then got to the end there. That will be an AWESOME trip. I want to do something similar one day. Like you I will have to trailer some. Just too far unless you have 30 days and lots of cash $$$$$$$.

Enjoy and I look forward to the report and pictures.

My wife packs enough crap and then buys more to fill our pickup bed and backseat, lol!

Cosmic Razorback 01-06-2019 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by kojak (Post 17936374)
My wife packs enough crap and then buys more to fill our pickup bed and backseat, lol!

It's all good! If that's what makes her happy then make sure she has plenty of cash!

My wife knew we did not have space to waste on our Christmas ride. She bought one t-shirt at each dealer stop and I got poker chips. Sometimes not have space is a good thing also.

Ride safe

107inMO 01-06-2019 11:41 AM

Suggestion. Pikes peak gate opens at 7:30 I think? Be there about 30 minutes before and you will not have any traffic going up! Or down. If you have time go up to Mt Evans. Highest paved road in America . Have fun, tons of great roads.

tnriverluver 01-06-2019 10:07 PM

Make sure to have at least a 3/4 helmet with shield, preferably a full face helmet. Hail storms are common daily and a full face is really nice keeping you warm at high altitude.