Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas in May...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:38 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Rocky, was thinking about your comment on expensive motels in Fredericksburg. I picked May 8 at random and Booking.com shows some pretty decent rates. Texas Bluebonnet season wraps up in April, maybe mid-April, so May ought to be pretty reasonable for lodging and traffic. Bluebonnets remind me of that Willow City Loop road that may be worth putting on your map. If you head north out of Fredericksburg on the way to Llano for a sliced brisket sandwich at Coopers, slip over to that loop road for a little side trip. In April it’s covered up with people looking at the flower blooms in the pastures but in May it should be a nice slow putt through some ranch lands. You mentioned earlier maybe riding 3 days in the Hill Country. That sounds about right....can’t imagine you’d need more.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,103 Likes on 8,920 Posts

Thanks ....good info.... I will check it out.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

We used a Best Western in Kerrville for a basecamp. It would be beautiful to go while the bluebonnets were blooming. Be very careful if on the road near dark. Lots of critters there. Bandera, Luckenbach, Three Sisters, etc. I bought one of the maps for the area. Butler Maps I think. As mentioned, Coopers BBQ is the bomb. If I am ever in the area again, I will pay them another visit. We had a German lunch in Fredericksburg one day. I guess I got that checked off the list. It was good. I had been told there is a place to get a hamburger near Luckenbach that is really good hole in the wall type place. We have talked about making the trip again.

Never been to Big Bend, but it is on the list. I guess I need to move it up on the list.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:33 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Look forward to reading about it.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by 5wheels
Look forward to reading about it.
Hell with reading about it..... ride over and meet me.

5wheels (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:02 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Pretty much tied to home. I'll ride to Mom and Dad's in FL occasionally. I try to ride around home when I can.

CanadianRocky (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:40 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

A rough layout..... I just love map day! Its about 11 days, each around 8 or so hours of riding time, which for me usually means 10/12 hrs point to point due to picture, lunch and fuel stops. If I catch me doing this at work, I will have to fire me.. which means I will get a longer ride.... teach that SOB to fire me.

A nice big loop. Each Purple bullet is a days ride, and each Red one is a point of interest. I will be adding more POI as I sort them out, and will post up the Google map when I get it ready to go.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 01-11-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:42 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Grandslam
We used a Best Western in Kerrville for a basecamp. It would be beautiful to go while the bluebonnets were blooming. Be very careful if on the road near dark. Lots of critters there. Bandera, Luckenbach, Three Sisters, etc. I bought one of the maps for the area. Butler Maps I think. As mentioned, Coopers BBQ is the bomb. If I am ever in the area again, I will pay them another visit. We had a German lunch in Fredericksburg one day. I guess I got that checked off the list. It was good. I had been told there is a place to get a hamburger near Luckenbach that is really good hole in the wall type place. We have talked about making the trip again.

Never been to Big Bend, but it is on the list. I guess I need to move it up on the list.
I checked out Kerrville.... looks like a good central spot to stay... I will book some rooms soon, just need to figure out the dates I should be there.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Going to Big Bend National Park try to spend a night at The Gage Hotel in Marathon. IIRC the owners of the Gage Hotel also bought the Limpia Hotel in Fort Davis. Both are popular motorcycle places. If you get to Fort Davis take time to ride to the McDonald Observatory, it's an experience and in late April you might get to be at the McDonald when the ladybug migration covers the entire observatory building in little orange bugs. And a swim in the cool fresh-water spring in Balmorhea is as good as the sacred waters of Barton Springs in Austin.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Going to Big Bend National Park try to spend a night at The Gage Hotel in Marathon. IIRC the owners of the Gage Hotel also bought the Limpia Hotel in Fort Davis. Both are popular motorcycle places. If you get to Fort Davis take time to ride to the McDonald Observatory, it's an experience and in late April you might get to be at the McDonald when the ladybug migration covers the entire observatory building in little orange bugs. And a swim in the cool fresh-water spring in Balmorhea is as good as the sacred waters of Barton Springs in Austin.
Good info! I will put them all on the list. One thing I am really looking forward to is The Very Large Array in New Mexico on the way down. If your around maybe we can fit a beer and a burger in.

Quick Reply: Texas in May...