Texas in May... - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums

Notices
Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas in May...

  #21  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 PM
CR3999's Avatar
CR3999
CR3999 is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: College Station TX
Posts: 704
Thanked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Stay in Bandera in the hill country. Fredericksburg is a tourist trap and to expensive. There's a lot to see around Big Bend. Davis mountains, I don't know why they call them mountains. But the highest paved road in Texas is there. I'm about four hours from the hill country. Let us know when your going.
 

Last edited by CR3999; 01-11-2019 at 08:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CR3999 For This Useful Post:
CanadianRocky (01-13-2019)
  #22  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 PM
mtgriz's Avatar
mtgriz
mtgriz is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coeur d'Alene
Posts: 1,401
Thanked 73 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
I checked out Kerrville.... looks like a good central spot to stay... I will book some rooms soon, just need to figure out the dates I should be there.
Rocky, Iíll check back here to see how your dates are coming. Planning Big Bend again myself but think Iíll be there earlier than you, but you never know. A friend has room for my bike in his trailer thatís going to Phoenix. Would then be able to catch a morning flight to PHX and go from there. Thinking I could start my ride earlier in the spring and weather in the NW US ought to be more civilized for the return. Would probably skip Hill Country and just head back north and spend some time in southern Utah. Being a flexible, retired geezer I may hang in Big Bend for awhile if I find a reasonable Airbnb, etc for a longer stay. Hope you can make the ride....be a nice break from that chiteating boss of yours.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to mtgriz For This Useful Post:
CanadianRocky (01-13-2019)
  #23  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Sierra977's Avatar
Sierra977
Sierra977 is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Windwardside, Saba N.A.
Posts: 6,756
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,513 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post


Good info! I will put them all on the list. One thing I am really looking forward to is The Very Large Array in New Mexico on the way down. If your around maybe we can fit a beer and a burger in.


I live immediately between and worked with guys at both E-Systems/Garland and Rockwell/Richardson that designed, built and maintained both the VLA and Arecibo radio telescopes. Both DARPA projects and very cool science for their time. Enjoy the visit.

ETA: If you're in that part of New Mexico you might enjoy eating at a greasy spoon mom-n'-pop joint in San Antonio, New Mexico called the Owl Bar & Cafe. Not far from the Stallion Gate entrance to White Sands Missile Range, it's a spot on the map Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project scientists frequented. Try the green-chile cheeseburger, it's legendary.

Owl Bar & Cafe

 

Last edited by Sierra977; 01-12-2019 at 07:47 PM.
  #24  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:23 AM
MajorKG's Avatar
MajorKG
MajorKG is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,211
Thanked 163 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Sounds like a great trip, I agree with Kerrville or Bandera, for the hill country portion of your trip. Fredericksburg is a very touristy town with some nice shops, good German food, and a good WWII museum, but could be expensive. Let me know when you are in the area, I will ride out to have coffee!
 
  #25  
Old 01-13-2019, 01:30 PM
CanadianRocky's Avatar
CanadianRocky
CanadianRocky is offline
Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On a Journey
Posts: 4,871
Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,118 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CR3999 View Post
Stay in Bandera in the hill country. Fredericksburg is a tourist trap and to expensive. There's a lot to see around Big Bend. Davis mountains, I don't know why they call them mountains. But the highest paved road in Texas is there. I'm about four hours from the hill country. Let us know when your going.
I will for sure..... it would be great to hook up with some of the crew when I am down there. I am shooting for 4/5 days in Texas itself.

Originally Posted by mtgriz View Post

Rocky, Iíll check back here to see how your dates are coming. Planning Big Bend again myself but think Iíll be there earlier than you, but you never know. A friend has room for my bike in his trailer thatís going to Phoenix. Would then be able to catch a morning flight to PHX and go from there. Thinking I could start my ride earlier in the spring and weather in the NW US ought to be more civilized for the return. Would probably skip Hill Country and just head back north and spend some time in southern Utah. Being a flexible, retired geezer I may hang in Big Bend for awhile if I find a reasonable Airbnb, etc for a longer stay. Hope you can make the ride....be a nice break from that chiteating boss of yours.
Target date to leave is May 11 and get to Big Bend around May 16..... If the weather is iffy, then maybe leave a week later. So it is up in the Air.... first of all I have to get the Boss to agree with this. lol.

Originally Posted by Sierra977 View Post
I live immediately between and worked with guys at both E-Systems/Garland and Rockwell/Richardson that designed, built and maintained both the VLA and Arecibo radio telescopes. Both DARPA projects and very cool science for their time. Enjoy the visit.

ETA: If you're in that part of New Mexico you might enjoy eating at a greasy spoon mom-n'-pop joint in San Antonio, New Mexico called the Owl Bar & Cafe. Not far from the Stallion Gate entrance to White Sands Missile Range, it's a spot on the map Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project scientists frequented. Try the green-chile cheeseburger, it's legendary.

Owl Bar & Cafe
Having a burger in Oppy's hang out would be a highlite of the ride. White Sands would be cool to see also. I am sure I will find a lot of things on my "List" to do when I am there. Not sure 5 days will be enough, but I will do my best.

Originally Posted by MajorKG View Post
Sounds like a great trip, I agree with Kerrville or Bandera, for the hill country portion of your trip. Fredericksburg is a very touristy town with some nice shops, good German food, and a good WWII museum, but could be expensive. Let me know when you are in the area, I will ride out to have coffee!
As it sits, as I said above, target date to leave will be May 11, and in Texas on about the 16th and stay 5/6 days touring around. that would be a two week rounder, and I might want to stretch that out to three weeks and if I can, I might shoot out to the Coast and not North.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianRocky For This Useful Post:
MajorKG (01-13-2019)
  #26  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:12 AM
jory434's Avatar
jory434
jory434 is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Posts: 828
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I like Kerrville as a hub too. Little less touristy than Fburg and a lot more to offer in the way of food and drink in the evening.. Close to everything you wanna see and better rates on rooms on average.

Fredericksburg is a nice town, but they know it. You have higher rates on everything and deal with all the sandal wearing fanny pack shoppers too.

They museums are cool though, you would enjoy those.
 
  #27  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:18 AM
CanadianRocky's Avatar
CanadianRocky
CanadianRocky is offline
Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On a Journey
Posts: 4,871
Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,118 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jory434 View Post
I like Kerrville as a hub too. Little less touristy than Fburg and a lot more to offer in the way of food and drink in the evening.. Close to everything you wanna see and better rates on rooms on average.

Fredericksburg is a nice town, but they know it. You have higher rates on everything and deal with all the sandal wearing fanny pack shoppers too.

They museums are cool though, you would enjoy those.
i booked a room in Kerrville this morning for 3 nights. Looks nice and central.
 
  #28  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:59 PM
gtmalone
gtmalone is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 45 Posts
Default

+2 on the VLA and Owl Bar mentioned above. VLA - way cool place to see. Green chili cheesburger - you'll sweat a little but it's good!

Also - If you're close to Arco, ID, stop by the EBR1 for a tour.
https://www.inl.gov/experimental-breeder-reactor-i/



 
  #29  
Old 01-14-2019, 05:07 PM
CanadianRocky's Avatar
CanadianRocky
CanadianRocky is offline
Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On a Journey
Posts: 4,871
Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,118 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gtmalone View Post
+2 on the VLA and Owl Bar mentioned above. VLA - way cool place to see. Green chili cheesburger - you'll sweat a little but it's good!

Also - If you're close to Arco, ID, stop by the EBR1 for a tour.
https://www.inl.gov/experimental-breeder-reactor-i/
I have been to EBR1 a couple of times, but always it was just after hours..... and just up the street in Arco is "Pickles Place".... excellent food.
 
  #30  
Old 01-15-2019, 06:33 AM
slodsm's Avatar
slodsm
slodsm is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fort Worth Tx
Posts: 656
Thanked 169 Times in 96 Posts
Default

You’ve picked some good spots. Luchenbach and fredricksburg are nice, the wife will like Fredericksburg. Those (to me) are some of the best roads in central Texas.

On the way back it looks looks like you’ll be heading through Lincoln national forrest in NM through Cloudcroft and Alamogordo. Really really pretty riding up there. I work in south east NM and live in DFW TX so I’m pretty familiar with the areas you’ll be in while in that part of the country. Definitely good scenic stuff, nice curvy roads, and friendly people.

Have fun!
 
The Following User Says Thank You to slodsm For This Useful Post:
CanadianRocky (01-15-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: