Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas in May...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 07:46 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Stay in Bandera in the hill country. Fredericksburg is a tourist trap and to expensive. There's a lot to see around Big Bend. Davis mountains, I don't know why they call them mountains. But the highest paved road in Texas is there. I'm about four hours from the hill country. Let us know when your going.

Last edited by CR3999; 01-11-2019 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:09 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
I checked out Kerrville.... looks like a good central spot to stay... I will book some rooms soon, just need to figure out the dates I should be there.
Rocky, I’ll check back here to see how your dates are coming. Planning Big Bend again myself but think I’ll be there earlier than you, but you never know. A friend has room for my bike in his trailer that’s going to Phoenix. Would then be able to catch a morning flight to PHX and go from there. Thinking I could start my ride earlier in the spring and weather in the NW US ought to be more civilized for the return. Would probably skip Hill Country and just head back north and spend some time in southern Utah. Being a flexible, retired geezer I may hang in Big Bend for awhile if I find a reasonable Airbnb, etc for a longer stay. Hope you can make the ride....be a nice break from that chiteating boss of yours.

CanadianRocky (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 06:31 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky

Good info! I will put them all on the list. One thing I am really looking forward to is The Very Large Array in New Mexico on the way down. If your around maybe we can fit a beer and a burger in.

I live immediately between and worked with guys at both E-Systems/Garland and Rockwell/Richardson that designed, built and maintained both the VLA and Arecibo radio telescopes. Both DARPA projects and very cool science for their time. Enjoy the visit.

ETA: If you're in that part of New Mexico you might enjoy eating at a greasy spoon mom-n'-pop joint in San Antonio, New Mexico called the Owl Bar & Cafe. Not far from the Stallion Gate entrance to White Sands Missile Range, it's a spot on the map Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project scientists frequented. Try the green-chile cheeseburger, it's legendary.

Owl Bar & Cafe

Last edited by Sierra977; 01-12-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:23 AM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Sounds like a great trip, I agree with Kerrville or Bandera, for the hill country portion of your trip. Fredericksburg is a very touristy town with some nice shops, good German food, and a good WWII museum, but could be expensive. Let me know when you are in the area, I will ride out to have coffee!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:30 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
Stay in Bandera in the hill country. Fredericksburg is a tourist trap and to expensive. There's a lot to see around Big Bend. Davis mountains, I don't know why they call them mountains. But the highest paved road in Texas is there. I'm about four hours from the hill country. Let us know when your going.
I will for sure..... it would be great to hook up with some of the crew when I am down there. I am shooting for 4/5 days in Texas itself.

Originally Posted by mtgriz

Rocky, I’ll check back here to see how your dates are coming. Planning Big Bend again myself but think I’ll be there earlier than you, but you never know. A friend has room for my bike in his trailer that’s going to Phoenix. Would then be able to catch a morning flight to PHX and go from there. Thinking I could start my ride earlier in the spring and weather in the NW US ought to be more civilized for the return. Would probably skip Hill Country and just head back north and spend some time in southern Utah. Being a flexible, retired geezer I may hang in Big Bend for awhile if I find a reasonable Airbnb, etc for a longer stay. Hope you can make the ride....be a nice break from that chiteating boss of yours.
Target date to leave is May 11 and get to Big Bend around May 16..... If the weather is iffy, then maybe leave a week later. So it is up in the Air.... first of all I have to get the Boss to agree with this. lol.

Originally Posted by Sierra977
I live immediately between and worked with guys at both E-Systems/Garland and Rockwell/Richardson that designed, built and maintained both the VLA and Arecibo radio telescopes. Both DARPA projects and very cool science for their time. Enjoy the visit.

ETA: If you're in that part of New Mexico you might enjoy eating at a greasy spoon mom-n'-pop joint in San Antonio, New Mexico called the Owl Bar & Cafe. Not far from the Stallion Gate entrance to White Sands Missile Range, it's a spot on the map Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project scientists frequented. Try the green-chile cheeseburger, it's legendary.

Owl Bar & Cafe
Having a burger in Oppy's hang out would be a highlite of the ride. White Sands would be cool to see also. I am sure I will find a lot of things on my "List" to do when I am there. Not sure 5 days will be enough, but I will do my best.

Originally Posted by MajorKG
Sounds like a great trip, I agree with Kerrville or Bandera, for the hill country portion of your trip. Fredericksburg is a very touristy town with some nice shops, good German food, and a good WWII museum, but could be expensive. Let me know when you are in the area, I will ride out to have coffee!
As it sits, as I said above, target date to leave will be May 11, and in Texas on about the 16th and stay 5/6 days touring around. that would be a two week rounder, and I might want to stretch that out to three weeks and if I can, I might shoot out to the Coast and not North.

MajorKG (01-13-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:12 AM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 474 Likes on 253 Posts

I like Kerrville as a hub too. Little less touristy than Fburg and a lot more to offer in the way of food and drink in the evening.. Close to everything you wanna see and better rates on rooms on average.

Fredericksburg is a nice town, but they know it. You have higher rates on everything and deal with all the sandal wearing fanny pack shoppers too.

They museums are cool though, you would enjoy those.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jory434
I like Kerrville as a hub too. Little less touristy than Fburg and a lot more to offer in the way of food and drink in the evening.. Close to everything you wanna see and better rates on rooms on average.

Fredericksburg is a nice town, but they know it. You have higher rates on everything and deal with all the sandal wearing fanny pack shoppers too.

They museums are cool though, you would enjoy those.
i booked a room in Kerrville this morning for 3 nights. Looks nice and central.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

+2 on the VLA and Owl Bar mentioned above. VLA - way cool place to see. Green chili cheesburger - you'll sweat a little but it's good!

Also - If you're close to Arco, ID, stop by the EBR1 for a tour.
https://www.inl.gov/experimental-breeder-reactor-i/

Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by gtmalone
+2 on the VLA and Owl Bar mentioned above. VLA - way cool place to see. Green chili cheesburger - you'll sweat a little but it's good!

Also - If you're close to Arco, ID, stop by the EBR1 for a tour.
https://www.inl.gov/experimental-breeder-reactor-i/
I have been to EBR1 a couple of times, but always it was just after hours..... and just up the street in Arco is "Pickles Place".... excellent food.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:33 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

You’ve picked some good spots. Luchenbach and fredricksburg are nice, the wife will like Fredericksburg. Those (to me) are some of the best roads in central Texas.

On the way back it looks looks like you’ll be heading through Lincoln national forrest in NM through Cloudcroft and Alamogordo. Really really pretty riding up there. I work in south east NM and live in DFW TX so I’m pretty familiar with the areas you’ll be in while in that part of the country. Definitely good scenic stuff, nice curvy roads, and friendly people.

Have fun!

CanadianRocky (01-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Texas in May...