Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/)
-   -   Texas in May... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/1266982-texas-in-may.html)

CanadianRocky 01-09-2019 04:55 PM

Texas in May...

.. ya, I am thinking about that. The hill country, Big Bend, and whatever strokes my goat. Head down thru Idaho, Utah, Arizona.... come back through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Maybe spend a few days in San Antonio or Austin.

In Big Bend and the hill country...... camping or motels that time of year?

OKMICK 01-09-2019 05:03 PM

Sounds like an awesome trip. Might be a pipe dream but what if ya had posters here lined up along the way to either have a quick breakfast, lunch or dinner, drinks, etc.? On the other hand, if you're an asshole....:icon_beerchug:

CanadianRocky 01-09-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by OKMICK (Post 17948171)
Sounds like an awesome trip. Might be a pipe dream but what if ya had posters here lined up along the way to either have a quick breakfast, lunch or dinner, drinks, etc.? On the other hand, if you're an asshole....:icon_beerchug:

Well, i have been accused of it..... but I am still going to try my best to coffee with the crew as much as I can....

mike in dallas 01-09-2019 08:55 PM

May is nice in Texas but be prepared for Thunderstorms. It can get rather hairy here in April and May

road king Q 01-10-2019 06:56 AM

Late May can get HOT down south, nights should be ok.

mtgriz 01-10-2019 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky (Post 17948154)
.. ya, I am thinking about that. The hill country, Big Bend, and whatever strokes my goat. Head down thru Idaho, Utah, Arizona.... come back through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Maybe spend a few days in San Antonio or Austin.

In Big Bend and the hill country...... camping or motels that time of year?

I’ll just add one comment on Big Bend area. If you like camping, Chisos Basin is an amazing experience.....cool desert scenery with an absolutely brilliant night sky. May would be fine with a very high probability of clear skies. As I recall the elevation is about 5300’ so even in late May it would be ok. If you decide to motel it I’m thinking from reading your posts something basic but decent works so I’d recommend the Easter Egg Valley motel at Terlingua. It goes by another name too but can’t recall it right now. Google the name I used and you’ll get it. Sounds like a great plan you’re working on.

CanadianRocky 01-10-2019 02:54 PM

I am building a map.... so what would a good little city to use as a base for Hill Country?.. good restaurants, nice motels, sights to see.

mtgriz 01-10-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky (Post 17950474)
I am building a map.... so what would a good little city to use as a base for Hill Country?.. good restaurants, nice motels, sights to see.

I think Fredericksburg would fit those needs well. Stops and rides like to Lukenbach, to great BBQ, 3 sisters, Bandera, etc. are within reach. Much has been written about this area. Lots of roads....FMs and state routes. It’s all good. That ride on 90 out of Big Bend to the Hill Country is pretty out to Langtry and across the Pecos River. I know some may think it’s too desolate, etc. but that makes it pretty cool.

CanadianRocky 01-10-2019 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by mtgriz (Post 17950551)

I think Fredericksburg would fit those needs well. Stops and rides like to Lukenbach, to great BBQ, 3 sisters, Bandera, etc. are within reach. Much has been written about this area. Lots of roads....FMs and state routes. It’s all good. That ride on 90 out of Big Bend to the Hill Country is pretty out to Langtry and across the Pecos River. I know some may think it’s too desolate, etc. but that makes it pretty cool.

I was looking at Fredericksburg. Looks like a cool little town. Expensive motels, so i would probably camp at the KOA, or some other campsite. Looks like some nice museums. I would probably plan to stay 3 days before I head North...... I am thinking 5/6 days down, mirror some of the roads I did a few years ago... 93, cut across to Flaming Gorge, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon ..... then a week in Big Bend and Hill country, and 5/6 days home..... So a total of 3 weeks out.... I checked out Yellowstone and the road is projected to open mid May, which is a week after I would be in Texas. I would do my best to do some mountain riding in Colorado, but weather and openings would dictate that.

TXRDR 01-10-2019 05:40 PM

I stay at the Kerrville-Schreiner Park when riding the hill country. Stay on the side away from the river and see a lot of wildlife. There is more noise on the river side of the park. Usually tent camp, but if it is too hot, I get a cabin. May is a good time to go.