Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ride report: Utah, California (Death Valley), Monument Valley etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:53 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Great photos with a fine write up. Thanks for posting your ride report....just what was needed on a mid-January evening working on a ride plan for the spring.
yea, I think we're all in that boat this time of year in winter- where to ride to this upcoming summer!

The following users liked this post:
HFS (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:17 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

thanks, F
great job, loved how you did it. Thanks for the time.

F150HD (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:58 AM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Outstanding trip report. I especially enjoy the large photos with the concise descriptions. Loneliest highway is on my bucket list (if for no other reason than to say I did it). Thanks for sharing.

F150HD (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts

Excellent. Thank you for the ride report. Good timing, as winter is winter. I can ride, it's cold most days, wet others. [Vancouver Island].
Curious - did you use your phone for pics or a standalone camera?

We're heading south in February, so hoping to finally do a ride report. I've written them, just never posted / took enough pictures. I know Nevada72 does some great writeups. Really anyone who takes the time and effort to write & post pictures like you did deserves a thank you.

I'm also trying Spotwalla this trip, so far my testing has it working pretty slick. I was surprised SWConnect was freeware and had the ability to upload pictures to Spotwalla.

Trying to log: Fuel, scenery, and take pictures of worthwhile spots. I got a kick out of Bob reporting on beers downrange. I might lose count though.

Thank you
H

F150HD (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:11 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
Excellent. Thank you for the ride report. Good timing, as winter is winter. I can ride, it's cold most days, wet others. [Vancouver Island].
Curious - did you use your phone for pics or a standalone camera?

We're heading south in February, so hoping to finally do a ride report. I've written them, just never posted / took enough pictures. I know Nevada72 does some great writeups. Really anyone who takes the time and effort to write & post pictures like you did deserves a thank you.

I'm also trying Spotwalla this trip, so far my testing has it working pretty slick. I was surprised SWConnect was freeware and had the ability to upload pictures to Spotwalla.

Trying to log: Fuel, scenery, and take pictures of worthwhile spots. I got a kick out of Bob reporting on beers downrange. I might lose count though.

Thank you
H
Vancouver Island? where one of my fav TV shows was filmed- ALONE (History Channel)

I used my phone in high res mode. I took 500+ pics, but if I get 10 good ones, I'm happy.
I really like Utah. CA has a bunch of 'big' things everyone wants to hit, but Utah is a hidden gem.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:56 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Awesome ride report. Almost wish I didn't read it though cause I'm all jacked up to hit the road now! Truly, there's NO bettef feeling than being on the road! Saw a bunch of familiar places in your report that brought back great memories. During a trip, I'll spend the some time journaling about where I rode, who I met and what kind of experiences I had that day. That's a nice thing to reflect on to. Thanks for sharing your experience!

F150HD (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

thanks very much for the ride report----headed to hwy 50 this summer.......

F150HD (01-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 01:01 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,990 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Just seeing your Trip F150.. Great pics of an Excellent Ride ! We hit a lot of those last year and going back in June 2019.
Question: Arches or Canyonlands ? We probably won't hit both, but looks like you were leaning to Canyonland ? We haven't been to either.
Thanks

F150HD (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 07:49 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by CrBear
Just seeing your Trip F150.. Great pics of an Excellent Ride ! We hit a lot of those last year and going back in June 2019.
Question: Arches or Canyonlands ? We probably won't hit both, but looks like you were leaning to Canyonland ? We haven't been to either.
Thanks
Arches is cool, its where the crowds go. Type of place you'll want to stop and will have to walk to see this or that etc. At the very end you park and you can 'hike' out to some arches along a trail. I stripped and put on some shorts when I got there and hiked out to one (easy walk), this seems to be a big goal there. BUT, if you go the cars start lining up at the entrance in the AM so there may be a wait. I was up at 6AM that day and popped up at 7 (was camped in town), no traffic then. I'd suggest that- go early, drive all the way to the end (straight thru) then go slower coming back. Its worth seeing. Short ride to traverse the whole park.

Overlook at Canyonlands was absolutely stellar, IMO was better then the Grand Canyon. Very little traffic going in (I am typically not into crowds on tours.), easy drive to it. Park in a lot and walk to the overlook.
I'd try to hit both as their entrances are only a few miles apart, but Canyonlands IMO had the far better view. Itd be easy to make this a short day if needed.

Also, cost to get in is high. Worth looking at the annual pass for all parks. I believe it covers 2 motorcycles, so if you're with a buddy they get in free w/ you.

Enjoy! and pack lots of ice water! Hot.

Last edited by F150HD; 02-15-2019 at 07:52 PM.
CrBear (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 07:57 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Great report. I don't know how I missed it. Regarding riding in Monument Valley, if you ride on the beach you can ride there. I couldn't.

Quick Reply: Ride report: Utah, California (Death Valley), Monument Valley etc.