Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Thinking of the Blue Ridge

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

Yeah, a lot of history in the area. If you are into aviation, there is another Air and Space Museum out at Dulles Airport. Everyone knows about the stuff downtown, this is a hidden jewel. The Enola Gay is there, one of the Space Shuttles and a bunch of other historic aircraft. I think there was also a Blackbird there. DC is a very busy place. Definitely do it on the weekend. Mt Vernon is a very nice tour as mentioned.

Skyline Drive will cost you about $20. I personally think it is a ripoff, when you can ride the whole BRP for free. The government runs both right???

Another very nice tour is Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home. It is about a 30 minute ride off Skyland Drive/BRP in Charlottesville.

WV is a good ride. I like 33 over to Elkins and then 219 south. If you take this route, you can hit I-64 East back over towards the BRP. There is a covered bridge, maybe the only one left in VA, just off the interstate. It is pretty cool.

If you do Mt. Airy, go eat at 13 Bones. Great ribs.

And Little Switzerland, if you don't get a room, just stop for lunch. Looking out over the mountains while eating a burger is very nice. You will definitely make some points with the wife. A couple of great rides right in that area. The Rattler as mentioned, 151, etc.

I love riding the BRP when the mountain laurel and Rhododendrons are blooming. I don't remember if it is the first of June or the last part of the month. Depending on what part of June, school will be out.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:07 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I would wing it and use www.hotels.com also there is an app called. hotelstonight. They sell off nice rooms at discounted prices... from June one will be nice. It gets hot down here so wear some good breathable long sleeve shirts, plenty of sunscreen...
BRP is always hit n miss with rubberneckers anytime...Even if you are at the top of the hills , it can be brutally hot. Take it from another Canuck...
Little Switzerland is nice...

Old 01-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,250 Likes on 6,010 Posts

You have lots of good info. Do a search on this site for BRP. There is a map set you can get, a bit pricey, but it does have map of skyline drive and BRP. Plan your fuel. Once you are on BRP you will not see much in stores or gas stations on the road. They are all off the roadway. We road last year and we do not make reservations.....we stop when we're tired and have yet to have problem. Check out Asheville (western end of parkway) and Maggie Valley ( Wheels through time museum there). Also, depending on time, the Cherohala Skyway (spelling probably off) is another nice road to ride. Lots of nice roads on the western end of BRP.
But get the map or map set and make your plans on that. It has mileage markers so you get some general areas for distances. Good Luck and have fun!

Old 01-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Spartanden (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,250 Likes on 6,010 Posts

Thanks Larry...this is the site I got my maps from

Uncle Larry (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:37 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

I live near the north entrance for Skyline Drive. How many days are you looking to do? Based on the time you have available, I can make some recommendations. Are you riding down from Canada?

Old 01-22-2019, 05:51 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks everyone. A lot of great info here to plan with. Thanks Kojak for the offer, I may take you up on that but not sure of dates yet. My time is flexible since I am 2 months retired.

Thanks for the aviation info Grandslam. In another life I was a pilot. Those are definitely aircraft of legend.

I'll be coming down from Canada, north side of lake superior to Sudbury Ont. to visit a good friend then down through Niagra Falls and on down southerly.

Last edited by miner999r; 01-22-2019 at 05:53 PM.
endscuoio (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:51 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 529 Likes on 290 Posts

Beautiful ride from Terrace Bay to Sault Ste. Marie along Lake Superior and again from the Soo to Serpent River on the North Channel of Lake Huron. I don’t envy you having to ride thru the heart of Toronto though. Ride safe!

Uncle Larry (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:44 PM
DNW1960
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BRP is a great ride. We made it a 8 day trip a few years back. Started in Guelph Ontario and 219 down to the end and zigzagged on into Gatlinburg. Did the tail of the dragon and started homeward on the bottom end of the BRP. A trip I am looking forward to do again.Make sure you take a stop in Little Switzerland and stay at the Skyline Village Inn.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:26 AM
Circa58
Club Member
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

My son and I went last year, from Indianapolis to BRP, we had specific hotels laid out along the way but rain interrupted the first stop, it was raining so hard with lighting that we had no choice but to stop, we didn't make it to our first planned stop so on our next trip, we will wing it..... and then when we know when we want to stop, we will call ahead.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of the Blue Ridge-brp-july-2018.bmp  

Quick Reply: Thinking of the Blue Ridge