Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Thinking of the Blue Ridge

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:15 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Thinking of the Blue Ridge

Greetings, I would like to take my wife to see some of Virginia, West Virginia and the blue ridge with my ultra classic. I am thinking that June might be an okay time to do this. Too old to tent so thinking hotel / motels. Some questions if I may:
Will it be necessary to detail plan and make motel / hotel reservations? I tend to prefer a non-fixed schedule.
Hoping to see a few sites in Washington DC. Traffic was busy in the 70's when I was last there. So thinking a Sunday might be a good day?
How crowded or how heavy might the traffic be on the blue ridge and areas around? I haven't been in that part of the world since the 77 superglide FXE I had was new. I am thinking kids will still be in school so family vacationers not on the road yet.
I probably should expect to get rained on?
Local people were great when I was there last and I have good memories.
I enjoy history and hope to see a few of the significant places where history was made.
I will go through some of the other threads to see what folks are recommending to others about sights to see.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:12 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Before we did the BRP I went to the parks website and downloaded the detailed map of the parkway. The Sunday drive thru D.C. might be doable. The Shenandoah Skyline goes right into the BRP. We rode it a few years ago from Asheville to Roanoke. Appomattox Court house is ENE of Roanoke off the beaten path. Another touristy trap is Mt. Airy, North Carolina, exit BRP at Fancy Gap and go south. This town was the basis for Andy Griffith "Mayberry", if you ever watched it If you get hungry stop at the Hungry Farmer just inside Virginia going north back to the BRP. June could bring out the RV's looking at spring blooms. Have fun.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:41 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,674 Likes on 2,312 Posts

June's about as good as any. You'll still have the potential for cool rainy foggy conditions at the higher elevations so carry the appropriate gear. You may also find yourself in a long line of cars taking their time and enjoying the views. Don't plan on "making good time". Just do likewise and stop from time to time to just take it all in.
Enjoy D.C. Regardless of the day or time...it's gonna be busy, but IMHO...worth it.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 528 Likes on 290 Posts

I agree with what guido said, June is comfortable, but it can rain anytime. Warm in the valleys, cooler on mountain tops; weekends will be busier than weekdays. Most motels during the week have vancancies day to day, weekends may require reservations. I reccomend Aholiday Hotel in Maggie Valley, clean affordable and right in the middle of some of the best riding in the U.S. After the days ride hang out on your porch relaxing in a rocking chair getting to know other riders staying the night. The restaurant next door (Pop’s grits and eggs) has excellent breakfast and the best in the area.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 AM
blue flht
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Lude-a-tick
I agree with what guido said, June is comfortable, but it can rain anytime. Warm in the valleys, cooler on mountain tops; weekends will be busier than weekdays. Most motels during the week have vancancies day to day, weekends may require reservations. I reccomend Aholiday Hotel in Maggie Valley, clean affordable and right in the middle of some of the best riding in the U.S. After the days ride hang out on your porch relaxing in a rocking chair getting to know other riders staying the night. The restaurant next door (Pop’s grits and eggs) has excellent breakfast and the best in the area.
That's where I stay and always have a good time.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:01 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Thank you all for the advice. Looking forward to this.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM
sire86
Tourer
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by miner999r
Thank you all for the advice. Looking forward to this.
Just rode the BRP this past October. Little further south of where your heading but, we Stayed in Asheville NC rode up to Hot Springs for a quick stop then rode The Rattler ( us 209 ) into Maggie Valley the Wheels Through Time Museum, try to make this stop very cool place. Then rode BRP back to Asheville , some of the best riding I ever did, as others said, not a bad road in the area, but bring rain gear the weather does change fast . Enjoy your trip....

Last edited by sire86; 01-21-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

Spend a night in Little Switzerland, Throw some romance at MaMa.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:40 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with Guido.

Choice Hotel have good hotels and have a good reward program. I always use it to more around when i am in the US. As guido said on week days you should be fine, during the weekend maybe it's better to place a couple of reservations.

In Washington Dc you can go around the Smithsonian museums and definitely the national archives along with all the memorials.

Mount Vernon is a must see as well, i loved my tour so much i always suggest people to go.

Outside Washington you can go to:

Baltimore, i've been there a couple of times, you can see the National Aquarium and Fort McHenry

Annapolis, love the place. You can see Colonial Annapolis and the Naval Academy Museum.

Colonial Williamsburg, is a 2hrs ride from Dc to Colonial Williamsburg but man it is worth going. Before going check if the representation is up during that time of the year,

Dude, i miss Maryland, Virginia and the DC area a lot. Enjoy your time there a little bit for me too

Old 01-22-2019, 05:42 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
Spend a night in Little Switzerland, Throw some romance at MaMa.
This ^^^^-----wife and I stayed there in 2017 , beautiful place to relax

https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/mem...itzerland-inn/

Quick Reply: Thinking of the Blue Ridge