Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 05:18 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by puckoach
Seasons arriving later and later.

We are going to be in Bar Harbor first week of August. Would appreciate inside info on best rides, sights, bars etc
Purely my opinion...best bars are Lompoc, Thirsty Whale, Dog and Pony, Leary's and Side Street.
Best rides (on the island) are the Loop Road (need a park pass) don't miss the ride up Cadillac Mountain, try to make sunrise or at least sunset from the top, and the ride to Bass Harbor Lighthouse area. Off island, the ride to Schoodic point (part of the park) is pretty good, but the Schoodic Loop is incredible.

Alot depends on where you are staying and what route you are taking to get here and leaving by.

The following users liked this post:
MCHOGG (06-22-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:49 PM
puckoach
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the Bar Harbor tips !

I don't think there is more rain in NS, than what comes across, or goes up from normal patterns. The increased aspect is fog, due to overnight into dawn changes. While it burns off, it can take up until noon time.

My last time there, was the first week of August in 17. Was told it was one of the best weeks evah ! 6 outstanding days. Some brief afternoon rain on Saturday. Socked in/no riding Sunday until about 11am. Best advice, is keep checking Weatherunderground. Adjust accordingly. Jump ahead/hunker down.

As to choices, I have been twice. Still not "done". The coast going NE from Yarmouth, thru Digby, and to Fundy is ok. But, the rest of what I have seen, is better.

We stayed in Port Hawksbury on the way into, and out of Cape Breton. Spending two complete days in CB. Went clockwise, and it's awesome. Skip eating in Pleasant Bay, too long a wait. As to the rest of CB, lots of great riding. Much of it I didn't have enough time for. We did like the Mine Tour ( under ocean one) Next trip back, will focus on the Louisbourg side.

On the way into, or out of, look for Cape George. We did a loop from Antigonish to lighthouse, and then on shore into New Glasgow. Wasn't planned, but another rider told us to GO. Great advice. Nice cruise, roads good. Mostly deserted.

Again, the place is vast, Yarmouth to Port Hawkesbury is about 7 hours seat time, on highways, not the scenic roads. I suggest focus on a smaller area, and ride it. If you are going to do a few attractions, stop and eat, stop to breathe in the view, Cape Breton is three days, by itself. Forget the fact you might want to scream back down the trail a bit....

Good Luck !

Old 06-21-2019, 08:32 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Thanks for the info folks!
I'm still looking for "reasonably priced" motels on the Cabot Trail.
My cousin has to room by himself for nearly half of this trip and I'd like to reduce his lodging costs as much as possible.
I'll get serious about this after the weekend and start making some inquiry calls.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:46 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Subscribing

Old 07-08-2019, 01:38 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

I've completed ALL of our motel bookings with the exception of the last night my last night on the way home!

Possibly could have saved a few bucks here and there with the motels but my wife would (probably will) kill me if I booked a sleazy motel but I've tried to do a compromise between her preferences and keeping the cost of this trip as reasonable as possible, especially for my cousin who will not have a companion sharing a room (or expenses) for half of this trip.

At a glance, I under "guestimated" his costs by about 25% but in my defense I expected that he would have a riding partner to share in the lodging expenses, but hey, "it is what it is"!

The trike is all set (as far as I know) with the exception of the last tire PSI check.

I loaded my "trunk bag" into the trunk and the fit was as tight as sardines in a can!
I told my wife she could "fully load" it and for once she did exactly what I told her!
I had to literally "inch" that bag into the trunk area.
I was hoping to have some extra room for my rain gear but that's not gonna happen, so once again it looks like I'll be using my trusty cargo net(s)!

Been looking forward to revisiting NS since I was there back in the early '80's and this time I'll also have time to go to NL and then return to NS, pick up my wife at the airport and tour NS and finally see the Cabot Trail as well as PEI (if all goes as planned).

Thanks for all of the travel tips and I'll be checking them again before I leave.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 07-08-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:05 AM
hmnavy72
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Please reply back with the toll amount for the PEI bridge, last year we camped just a few miles from the PEI bridge, planned on going across but with two bikes I think the toll would of been almost $50 USD so we just camped another night and explored the beach. Also we ate several meals at a truck stop style diner a few miles before the PEI bridge, as there wasn’t many options

Old 07-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I've completed ALL of our motel bookings with the exception of the last night my last night on the way home!

Possibly could have saved a few bucks here and there with the motels but my wife would (probably will) kill me if I booked a sleazy motel but I've tried to do a compromise between her preferences and keeping the cost of this trip as reasonable as possible, especially for my cousin who will not have a companion sharing a room (or expenses) for half of this trip.

At a glance, I under "guestimated" his costs by about 25% but in my defense I expected that he would have a riding partner to share in the lodging expenses, but hey, "it is what it is"!

The trike is all set (as far as I know) with the exception of the last tire PSI check.

I loaded my "trunk bag" into the trunk and the fit was as tight as sardines in a can!
I told my wife she could "fully load" it and for once she did exactly what I told her!
I had to literally "inch" that bag into the trunk area.
I was hoping to have some extra room for my rain gear but that's not gonna happen, so once again it looks like I'll be using my trusty cargo net(s)!

Been looking forward to revisiting NS since I was there back in the early '80's and this time I'll also have time to go to NL and then return to NS, pick up my wife at the airport and tour NS and finally see the Cabot Trail as well as PEI (if all goes as planned).

Thanks for all of the travel tips and I'll be checking them again before I leave.
When are you planning on making the trip?
We are doing the trip out there, leaving on August 19th. The guys (3 of us) are riding all the way out and the ladies are going to fly and meet us in Moncton, New Brunswick.
We are doing the some parts of Nova Scotia (not Peggy’s Cove or Lunenburg as they are both a waste of time in our opinion), the Cabot Trail and spending some time on PEI.
Itinerary is all set.
Third trip out there so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Terry

Old 07-08-2019, 11:51 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hmnavy72
Please reply back with the toll amount for the PEI bridge, last year we camped just a few miles from the PEI bridge, planned on going across but with two bikes I think the toll would of been almost $50 USD so we just camped another night and explored the beach. Also we ate several meals at a truck stop style diner a few miles before the PEI bridge, as there wasn’t many options
Will do.

We had originally planned to take the ferry from NS to PEI so I booked us (trike & 2 seniors) for $79 CAD.
Then I read that if you take the ferry to PEI and then cross the bridge into NB you only pay the bridge fee (I think it's $19 but I'm not sure).
I spoke with an agent and he told me the same thing so I cancelled our ferry booking which means that it will be a "first come, first boarded" ferry ride from NS into PEI which make frequent runs at about 1-1/2 hour intervals.
Time will tell

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 07-08-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:02 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scorpio09SG
When are you planning on making the trip?
We are doing the trip out there, leaving on August 19th. The guys (3 of us) are riding all the way out and the ladies are going to fly and meet us in Moncton, New Brunswick.
We are doing the some parts of Nova Scotia (not Peggy’s Cove or Lunenburg as they are both a waste of time in our opinion), the Cabot Trail and spending some time on PEI.
Itinerary is all set.
Third trip out there so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Terry
I'm leaving this week and meeting my cousin's husband (from TN) in Erie, PA.
We're gonna do the NH/VT tour and then head towards the ferry to NL on the 17th.

My cousin isn't coming along with her husband and now my wife has backed out of flying up to Halifax after we com back from NL so it looks like we're free to do as we please (within reason of course).

As of now, I'm planning on keeping the same schedule (minus 1 motel room) but we'll have to see how things work out day by day.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:56 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Just returned Friday afternoon from the 22 day/6071 mile trip!!!

I met my cousin (from TN) in Erie, PA. Both of us had hit some heavy rain when we started our trip.
With the exception on hitting a typhoon 5 miles from our motel in Halifax, and one more torrential rainstorm, we only had an occasional shower on two other days.
Overall, the weather was much better that I had anticipated and I'd guess much better than average and We only washed the trikes twice and what rain we got helped wash off the bugs.

We took the long ferry out of NS to NL (with a cabin or course) and the short ferry back to NS from NL (again with a cabin) and the ride(s) were pleasant and the food was good and the beer was good, though expensive.

We spent one night in Mt Pearl, NL touring the area and the following day we drove over to Corner Brook and spent the night there
We slept in the next day, did some sigh-seeing and caught the ferry back to NS later on that night.
IF, I should go there again it would be a week long (at least) vacation and would probably be a fly/rent situation since there's so much distance to cover and so much to see and do.

As planned, after returning to NS from NL we did most of the east NS shore but after a while the bumpy ride got tiresome so we headed directly to Yarmouth for the night,
The following day, we took the west side up last the Bay of Fundy (some light rain) we and stopped in Wolfville (another nice tourist town) for a break and to take some pictures.

From there we rode to New Glasgow for then night and then the following day we continued on to the Cabot Trail and Ingonish Beach.
We stayed in IB for two nights and took a whale boat tour on our second day.
Nice weather and the tour was good even though we didn't see any whales we did get a glimpse of some seals, baby eagles and they had a lobster trap with two lobsters for demonstration purposes.

The weather the following day was perfect so we rode north and went to Meat Cove.
About 30KM's (about 19 miles I think) with 8KM's being on a combination of dirt, potholes and a very rough ride, especially on a trike,
Nice view but I wouldn't recommend it on a rainy day.
Just my luck, the place that sells chowder and beer was closed when we were there!
The "Highlands" IMHO, was the best part of the trip! Great scenery!
Down the west side of the Cabot Trail back to New Glasgow (the same motel that we stayed in on the way up).

The next day, we headed to Pictou for the ferry over to PEI.
We had no reservations but we were early and they took us on the first ferry.
NO FEE to ride to PEI but crossing the 8 mile Confederation Bridge over to New Brunswick was either $17 or $19 (Canadian funds) for a motorcycle or trike.
Again, IF I should go back again, I'd plan a longer stay since there's so much to see and do.

We used our credit cards a lot!
However, it is a good idea to call your credit card company and tell them your travel plans!!!
Also--take cash and find a bank that will do a currency exchange for your smaller purchases and daily needs especially if you plan to be touring in rural areas.
We got $253 CAD for $200 USD so use your own judgement on how much you will need.

FWIW, most will get "sticker shock" by prices for most products and services.
I paid near $24 (CAD) for a 6-pack of half-liter Bud Light

I think cigarettes( I don't smoke) are about $20 a pack!

Quick Reply: Nova Scotia