Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Just returned Friday afternoon from the 22 day/6071 mile trip!!!

I met my cousin (from TN) in Erie, PA. Both of us had hit some heavy rain when we started our trip.
With the exception on hitting a typhoon 5 miles from our motel in Halifax, and one more torrential rainstorm, we only had an occasional shower on two other days.
Overall, the weather was much better that I had anticipated and I'd guess much better than average and We only washed the trikes twice and what rain we got helped wash off the bugs.

We took the long ferry out of NS to NL (with a cabin or course) and the short ferry back to NS from NL (again with a cabin) and the ride(s) were pleasant and the food was good and the beer was good, though expensive.

We spent one night in Mt Pearl, NL touring the area and the following day we drove over to Corner Brook and spent the night there
We slept in the next day, did some sigh-seeing and caught the ferry back to NS later on that night.
IF, I should go there again it would be a week long (at least) vacation and would probably be a fly/rent situation since there's so much distance to cover and so much to see and do.

As planned, after returning to NS from NL we did most of the east NS shore but after a while the bumpy ride got tiresome so we headed directly to Yarmouth for the night,
The following day, we took the west side up last the Bay of Fundy (some light rain) we and stopped in Wolfville (another nice tourist town) for a break and to take some pictures.

From there we rode to New Glasgow for then night and then the following day we continued on to the Cabot Trail and Ingonish Beach.
We stayed in IB for two nights and took a whale boat tour on our second day.
Nice weather and the tour was good even though we didn't see any whales we did get a glimpse of some seals, baby eagles and they had a lobster trap with two lobsters for demonstration purposes.

The weather the following day was perfect so we rode north and went to Meat Cove.
About 30KM's (about 19 miles I think) with 8KM's being on a combination of dirt, potholes and a very rough ride, especially on a trike,
Nice view but I wouldn't recommend it on a rainy day.
Just my luck, the place that sells chowder and beer was closed when we were there!
The "Highlands" IMHO, was the best part of the trip! Great scenery!
Down the west side of the Cabot Trail back to New Glasgow (the same motel that we stayed in on the way up).

The next day, we headed to Pictou for the ferry over to PEI.
We had no reservations but we were early and they took us on the first ferry.
NO FEE to ride to PEI but crossing the 8 mile Confederation Bridge over to New Brunswick was either $17 or $19 (Canadian funds) for a motorcycle or trike.
Again, IF I should go back again, I'd plan a longer stay since there's so much to see and do.

We used our credit cards a lot!
However, it is a good idea to call your credit card company and tell them your travel plans!!!
Also--take cash and find a bank that will do a currency exchange for your smaller purchases and daily needs especially if you plan to be touring in rural areas.
We got $253 CAD for $200 USD so use your own judgement on how much you will need.

FWIW, most will get "sticker shock" by prices for most products and services.
I paid near $24 (CAD) for a 6-pack of half-liter Bud Light

I think cigarettes( I don't smoke) are about $20 a pack!
Thanks for the great update! Hope you had an awesome trip!
We leave on the 18th heading that way.
Quick question.
Did you ride the Cabot Trail all the way around? And if so was there any construction areas?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks and feel free to pm me.

Cheers Terry

Old 08-05-2019, 12:34 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

We did all of the Cabot Trail with the exception of the area from Margaree Forks back to the Baddeck area, which is the last leg of the Trail if you navigate it counter-clockwise.
We decided to continue of the coastal route through Port Hood down to Port Hawkesbury.

Some construction with the worst being on the east side of the Trail in the Cape Smokey area.
Ascending the mountain was a real PIA with the heavy traffic.
Be sure to top off your fuel tank in Baddeck or sooner.
NO premium fuel in Ingonish Beach so you'll have to go several miles farther north.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Hey 2AMGuy!

Thank you so much for the update. We are heading there later this month.
Hopefully some of the construction may be a little farther along by then.

Cheers, Terry