Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 05:41 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Nova Scotia

Some friends and I are planning a trip around NS this summer. For the most part we will travel the coast from Yarmouth, Halifax, Cabot Trail, then back down the western shore. My question is, will we need to have Canadian money, or will a ATM card and American money suffice?

Also, if anyone has any must sees or do's along this route, please chime in! (10 day trip)

Thank you in advance!

Knees

Old 01-22-2019, 08:25 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Just went to NS in August 2018, I’ll chime in when I’m not on mobile, in the mean time, google Cabot biker, this will give you plenty of info...I used my CC a lot, but converted 100USD, some of the food places we stoped at liked cash.

The following users liked this post:
kneesinthebreeze24 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:33 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is a link to our NS trip. The thread isn’t very complete as cell signal can be weird up north.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...ie-72-a-4.html

kneesinthebreeze24 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:32 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Money is a non-issue. All the towns near the border will take US money. After that, the ATM machines only will give you money with the Queen on them. No worries there at all.

Give Cabot trail and Cape Bretton a couple of days for sure, amazing part of this world that is achievable from home on a Motorcycle. Take the turn off for Meat Cove, have lunch and a beer at the camp ground at the end of the road, life experience.

FYI, it is far away from Jerzey. I am from the Island and by the time we got to Cape Bretton, it was same mileage as going to Daytona Beach. Completely doable in 10 days, but take a good look at the mileage and plan accordingly. I would go back.

We did I-95 to Route 9 in Maine crossing in Calais to Canada then to St John for the overnight. Small and easy border crossing, Next day we road to the bridge to Prince Edward Island for some mussels.

Next morning ferry to Caribou then up to Cape Bretton. Spent 4 days there for a wedding then back down direct not going thru PEI.

Maine is a boring ride, nothing to look at, like going thru the Carolinas heading to Florida. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hmnavy72
Here is a link to our NS trip. The thread isn’t very complete as cell signal can be weird up north.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...ie-72-a-4.html
Great picts of you guys on your bikes! Love the sporties too! I had an 2003 1200c for years, rode the **** outta it! Speaking of cell service, that brings up another question..... who is your service provider and how was the service in general around the island?

Old 01-23-2019, 06:06 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Architect
Money is a non-issue. All the towns near the border will take US money. After that, the ATM machines only will give you money with the Queen on them. No worries there at all.

Give Cabot trail and Cape Bretton a couple of days for sure, amazing part of this world that is achievable from home on a Motorcycle. Take the turn off for Meat Cove, have lunch and a beer at the camp ground at the end of the road, life experience.

FYI, it is far away from Jerzey. I am from the Island and by the time we got to Cape Bretton, it was same mileage as going to Daytona Beach. Completely doable in 10 days, but take a good look at the mileage and plan accordingly. I would go back.

We did I-95 to Route 9 in Maine crossing in Calais to Canada then to St John for the overnight. Small and easy border crossing, Next day we road to the bridge to Prince Edward Island for some mussels.

Next morning ferry to Caribou then up to Cape Bretton. Spent 4 days there for a wedding then back down direct not going thru PEI.

Maine is a boring ride, nothing to look at, like going thru the Carolinas heading to Florida. Good luck.
Thanks for the info!
I have heard a lot about meat cove. Any idea how long the ride is off the Cabot?? I would like to try and fit it in. Also, about how many miles of it is dirt?
We are going to take the ferry from Portland. Ride up the eastern side along the shore to cape breton, then back along the western side.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:44 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze24
Thanks for the info!
I have heard a lot about meat cove. Any idea how long the ride is off the Cabot?? I would like to try and fit it in. Also, about how many miles of it is dirt?
We are going to take the ferry from Portland. Ride up the eastern side along the shore to cape breton, then back along the western side.
I think its about 9 miles of washed out dirt road if I remember right. Be careful, parts are pretty treacherous if its been raining recently. Halifax is a fun town, worth a day or two. Bay of Fundy is cool, Cape Breton is definitely where you should spend majority of your time, the cabot trail is just one part of it. My wife and I go to NS every few years from VA and we've found the easiest, most efficient way to get to Halifax/Dartmouth is to ride right up 95 into Canada, through NB and then over the bridge into NS. We use it as a base to explore the west side from Bay of Fundy, to Lunenburg. A great place to stay in Cape Breton is Baddeck. There is a lot of history, the Museum in Fort Louisburg is awesome, make sure to check out the french acadian part, a cute fishing village called Cheticamp. Ofcourse, there is Inverness where they still have lots of scottish history and a coal mining museum. And hope you like lobster, we try to go during the short lobster season, every little town has a dock where you can see the boats coming in with their catch!

kneesinthebreeze24 (02-21-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:26 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Meat Cove has about 5-10 miles of very hard packed dirt/ almost clay. Not challenging really, but if it had rained, not sure it could be a mud pit. The day we did it was fine, no issues at all and it had rained on and off all week. We had lunch at Bay of St. Lawrence not knowing there would be food at the camp ground. When we got there food and beer, but some weird rule about buying food to buy beer. Still a real cool detour. One way in, one way out, so you get to do the dirt twice.

Google Maps says about 8 miles from the turn off.

kneesinthebreeze24 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:42 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,283 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Check with your health ins. covers you in a foreign country, Medicare won't.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:01 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,001 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I.ll chime in with a couple of things-------get a Canadian Card from your auto ins co[it,s free] and call your wireless subscriber and add your dates to the plan[it,s cheaper than just using your phone without it--] I,ve traveled into Canada many times,these two things are a MUST

Depending on time of the year you,re going -mornings can be thick fog-----enjoy the scenery it is outstanding

Quick Reply: Nova Scotia