Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Packing for a motorcycle trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:38 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

always pack your rain gear on top. never bury it under other stuff.

The following 2 users liked this post by bagga:
Coachbill123 (05-03-2019), Heritage98 (04-18-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
make room for a blow up doll they never bitch

Originally Posted by Cogswell
If you buy the sports type wicking material t-shirts, compression underwear, and wool blend socks you can wash/rinse in a hotel sink and they are dry by morning. They pack a lot smaller than cotton and are fairly wrinkle free. They will free up space for other things you may want to bring.
Like the one sunder armor has. Awesome, i should find a cheaper version in a store near where i live. Awesome tip!

Originally Posted by Dan28
Probably a lot more info in the Road Trips forum but have a couple set ups depending on if I'm going to be camping or staying in hotels.

When I traveled on my Wide Glide, I generally just used that backpack strapped down on the pylon. Though for one trip I bought some cheap throw over Jaffrum saddlebags. They barely lasted the trip (about 2500 miles) as both bags had bottom seams let go because I over stuffed them.
I see i am not the only one suing ziplogs to cover up power outlets on rainy days lol

Now most any trip over 500 miles is on the Street Glide. This was a set up for a trip where I was camping. Heaviest items and stuff like my tech went in the saddle bags so it would stay dry. The green flight bag had my tent, a camping chair, an air matress, sleeping bag and few other odds and ends for camping. The backback had mostly cloths and food and probably some more camping stuff. I've done three 5000ish trips on the SGS and a couple 2000 ish trips on it. Though on the 2000ish trips I wasn't camping so just a roll bag with clothes was all the extra luggage.

That paint is stellar!!! When i ride solo i put my sissybar bag like that. It works as an awesome backrest

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I have taken a couple of solo trips and never had any issues with packing. I have a Road King with a Tour Pack so I can get everything I need and some luxury items onboard easily. When the little lady tags along its another story.
Last year we went on an over night trip to the Poconos, literally one night and one day and only about 100 miles from the house.
Before we left I told her to lay out everything she planned to take on the bed. When she had it all laid out I told her she could take half of it. She pissed and moaned but begrudgingly put half her stuff back. We still ended up having to strap another bag on top of the Tour Pack to bring it all.
I hear you! Is always the saim, there's always something they "might need" ! Always cracks me up to see my girlfriend pack, she always goes nuts. Next week we'll be in Madrid (unfortunately by plane) and i am curious to see how much she'll pack

Originally Posted by gtmalone
Here's a checklist I've put together over time from own experiences and others:

Here's stuff I've learned on road trips. Adjust to fit your trip (trip length, expected weather, etc). Hope you find it useful. Let me know if you have anything to add.

Scooter prep
- Check for loose stuff – bolts, nuts
- Check/clean electrical connectors that you can reach easily especially the ignition switch
- Check/clean battery connections
- Check/clean that cluster of ground wires next to the battery
- Check spark plugs, clean/gap or replace
- Check tires for cuts or bad spots and pressure
- Check wheels for loose spokes or other problems
- Check brake pads
- Check drive belt tension and condition
- Change all fluids and engine oil filter
- Clean/change air filter
- Clean/change external breather filter (if so equipped)
- Check/fix any oil/gas leaks
- Clean/treat leather stuff
- Check all lights
- Check/adjust headlight and passing light aim
- Wash and polish that Sweet Heritage Springer. Nothing like a clean scooter to start off a trip!
Learned this the hard way. Battery down while visiting Lofoten islands and had to ride 5hrs from Sorvagen to Narvik and 5hrs back. Place the new battery on the bike and ride other 5 hrs to go sleep in Narvik because Tromso (our leg for the day) was 8 hrs away. All that under the worst possible weather conditions possible: wind and heavy rain. Thank god my father has a comfy Road Glide Ultra so the going to get the new battery wasn't that terrible. I have a sundowner on my dyna but is not as comfy.

Packing stuff for the bike
Take tools to tighten stuff that might get loose, needs adjusting, or stuff that breaks you can fix on the side of the road such as: drive belt tension, clutch and clutch cable, throttle cables, highway pegs, saddle bags, mufflers, burned out light bulbs, etc.

- Tools
phillips and flat screwdrivers
combination wrenches as needed – 1/2, 9/16, 3/4, 15/16 (axle nut), 10mm (battery), two 5/16 or 8mm (throttle cable adjust)
offset box end wrenches as needed – 1/2 x 9/16 and 5/8 x 11/16 (clutch adjust)
ratchet – 3/8, 1/2 drive (axle nut)
sockets as needed – hex, torx, allen - All of these can be put on a socket rail.
allen wrenches – as needed
slip joint pliers
small vise grips
diagonal cutters
utility knife
electrical tape
tie wraps – small and large
small can of WD40
Q-tips (clean electrical connectors)
spare light bulbs – 1156, 1157 in clear and/or amber (wrap in paper towels for padding)
spare 15 amp fuses (fuse box will hold 2-3 spares)
small spool of wire 10-20ft – 18ga (yes - needed this once, wire bundle to turn signal fell down against tire, chewed up the wire)
mini jumper cables
portable jump starter
Because of what i said before lol

length of fuel line and a couple of small hose clamps
loctite blue
spare spark plugs
spark plug gauge/gapper tool
anti-seize (spark plugs)
tire gauge
flashlights and batteries
The smaller items like allen wrenches, tie wraps, etc., can be stored in small ziploc bags.

- Bag for tools
This bag from Harbor Freight works well and is cheap. It will stand on end in the back of a saddlebag.
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch...bag-32282.html

Packing personal stuff
- Cell phone with emergency contact info obvious in the directory. Call periodically to let people know where you are and if you will be where there is no cell service.
- Leave your loved ones an itinerary of your trip with contact info. Yes, it will change but it gives an idea of where you are and who to call if they haven't heard from you in a while.
- Use a credit card for gas and food. The charges trail on the statement can also tell your loved ones where you were.
- Spare cash stored somewhere not on you. Not wise to carry hundreds of dollars in your wallet or purse.
- Emergency contact info written down (in case you can't respond)
- Registration papers and insurance card
- Insurance company contact info
- Passport if needed

- Four days clothes – one on, three in the bags
- Heavy socks
- Insulated underwear
- T-shirts, long sleeve/sweatshirt
- Leathers – jacket, chaps
- Boot straps to keep pants/chaps from riding up your legs
- Pair of sneakers
- Neck gaiter and/or balaclava
- Bandana
- doo rag
- Rain gear – jacket, pants, boot gaiters, gloves
- Gloves – light, heavy
- water (lots if riding in hot weather)
- hand towel to wet down and wrap around your neck in hot weather (really helps to keep you cool) -or- this product http://www.missionathletecare.com/collections/multi-cool - plus keeping the sun off your neck and face.

- Spare pair of eyeglasses, clip on sunglasses
- Spare pair of sunglasses
- Spare contact lenses and solution
- Spare pair of goggles if you wear those
- Ear plugs
- Medications
- Ibuprophen or Tylenol
Leave all medications prescription and OTC in their original containers to avoid a discussion with a peace officer.
- Eye drops
- Chapstick
- Sunscreen
- Neosporin
- Band Aids
- Small roll of gauze and medical tape
- Ace bandage- SuperGlue to close bad cuts
- Personal hygiene stuff
deodorant (please!)
toothpaste
toothbrush
floss
shampoo instead of soap bars
nail clippers w/nail file
shaving stuff (if you feel the need)
comb or brush
- Roll of toilet paper
- Two towels (double as a pillow when camping)mosquito repellant - DEET

- Camping gear (ultralight camping)
tent
tarp or footprint as the camping stores call it
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
stuff sack to hold camping gear

- Spare bungee cords to tie stuff on bike
- 12 volt charger socket somewhere on bike
- Charger for cellphone – 12 volt
- Camera (take LOTS of pics!)
- Rechargeable batteries and charger for camera – 12 volt (Radio Shack)
- Compass
- Road atlas, maps, or GPS - Highlight your planned route on the atlas or maps
- Print map pages from Ride Planner, Google, Mapquest, etc. for details/directions for points of interest.
- Make a list of sights to see along the way. It's easy to forget.
- Make an itinerary for overnight stops, places to stay and do laundry, and people to see with contact info.
- Notebook for journal, pens
- Extra zip lock bags- SuperGlue - fix broken stuff

Packing tips
- Put clothes in water resistant plastic bags. These bags from JP Cycles work great and are cheap
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/8400085 Roll the top closed then fasten the latch. Just saw this product is no longer listed. A large zip lock bag could work.
- Roll clothes instead of folding – takes less space
- Use zip lock bags to organize stuff and keep it dry
- Put anything that can leak into it's own zip lock bag (like shampoo bottle)
- If you are tent camping set up your gear before the trip to refamiliarize yourself with the gear, make sure everything is there, and that the tent doesn't leak.

- Distribute weight evenly side to side in saddle bags
- Distribute weight on racks and tour paks as low as possible and closer to the center of the bike. That is, heavier stuff on the passenger seat instead of a luggage rack.

After everything is loaded on the bike, take a test ride to make sure you know how the bike feels and where it balances and that nothing falls off. Check your loads often when traveling.

- Drink plenty of water particularly in hot weather.
- Cover up in the sun and use 50+ sunblock on exposed areas. Sunburn on a trip is no fun and sun on bare skin at 65mph for a couple of hours can dry you out pretty quick.

Other personal stuff
- Check with your health insurance provider on what they will cover and what they won't when you are out of your network. Most should cover emergency stuff but will not cover non-emergency.
- Check with your cell phone provider on service coverage and additional costs if you are traveling outside the US (Yes, Canada is international). Roaming, data, extra charges for using a foreign provider. Also, some models of phones may not work on foreign provider networks - Depends on the service your phone uses - GSM, LTE, etc.
- Contact your credit card companies to let them know when and where you will be traveling so that charges won't be declined.

Just so you know, all of the stuff listed above fits easily. See these pics: Stuff Packed
I've changed tour paks since (Saddlemen BR3400) but the same stuff still fits.
Well done, mate! Great ,great tips! I am gonna add some points to my routine

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
I've got to say , you guys above deserve a really big applaud ! I've been riding for a number of years and finally got to a point in my life that I'm finally able to take longer trips ( 1 week or so ) not just over nighters . I can appreciate all the effort it took to post these up , so guys like me can learn from the experienced riders like you ... Thank you !!!

This should be a Sticky !!
Thank you so much!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by endscuoio

I see i am not the only one suing ziplogs to cover up power outlets on rainy days lol

That paint is stellar!!! When i ride solo i put my sissybar bag like that. It works as an awesome backrest
Rode about 12 hours the day before that pic was taken and it rained pretty much the whole time, sometimes pouring quite heavily. My rain gear eventually failed towards the end of the day and I got soaked. That power outlet was just temporary for that trip and hard wired to the battery. The ziplock was something I always take several of on a trip so I can pack small items together.

I actaully have a backrest for the Street Glide but I find it uncomfortable as it pushes me forward too much. The backpack makes a great backrest.

The following users liked this post:
endscuoio (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I have taken a couple of solo trips and never had any issues with packing. I have a Road King with a Tour Pack so I can get everything I need and some luxury items onboard easily. When the little lady tags along its another story.
Last year we went on an over night trip to the Poconos, literally one night and one day and only about 100 miles from the house.
Before we left I told her to lay out everything she planned to take on the bed. When she had it all laid out I told her she could take half of it. She pissed and moaned but begrudgingly put half her stuff back. We still ended up having to strap another bag on top of the Tour Pack to bring it all.

You went about this the wrong way. I handed my lady one saddlebag liner bag and one small nylon bag and told her this yours to fill how you like (this doesn't include jacket, chaps and rain gear) and if you do not like you can stay home and I will go solo. She didn't get mad because she wanted to go and it worked out good because we are getting married soon and when we go on the bike now she knows what to expect so there are no arguments on what she can bring. If it fits in the bag you can take it and if you want to buy "stuff" on the trip you better make sure those bags you have will fit it.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:28 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

I've done many road trips since I started doing them in 2009 and have completed 2 Iron Butt Rallys where there is no time for laundry. Since I prefer not to smell too badly and be comfortable, simply wearing my clothes without changing or washing is not an option. Also note that I wear dedicated riding gear (Klim jacket and pants with body armor) so the top layer is fixed and I don't need riding gear since its Goretex. for the base layers I wear wicking clothes as previously mentioned and I will rinse them out in the hotel sink each night, wrap them tightly in a towel and wring it to death to get as much moisture out as I can, and then hang in the hotel as I sleep. I have two sets and I alternate them so I always have a dry set to wear. For my socks I prefer clean socks rather than washing them so I carry enough to get me 1/2 through the trip +1, and will wash them at the midpoint. During the IBR I actually take 12 pair and mail them home. My wife has learned not to open any packages I address to myself.

In addition to the above I take a pair of jeans, shorts, 2-3 regular shirts, and a pair of docksiders. That gives me something to get food in. All of that packs and my shaving kit with toothbrush, razor, and medications fits in a small gym bag that I take into the hotel each night.

Since many do not wear riding gear, wear one pair of jeans and keep the second in with the rest of the clothes. I found in the past that I could get away with wearing a pair of jeans for two days, so after I wore the second pair it was laundry time. That is another reason for a pair of shorts, so you have something to wear when doing laundry. Otherwise people gawk, scream, etc.

And lastly for a base layer I choose LDComfort. They are highly wicking and comfortable. And the owner is a rider.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:32 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I gotta try the iron but! But is something that, coming from overseas, needs to be carefully planned in advance. I have to see if there is something similar in Europe. I see a lot of people do not wear riding gear.
It could be something to talk about

Old 02-26-2019, 05:38 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbank
You went about this the wrong way. I handed my lady one saddlebag liner bag and one small nylon bag and told her this yours to fill how you like (this doesn't include jacket, chaps and rain gear) and if you do not like you can stay home and I will go solo. She didn't get mad because she wanted to go and it worked out good because we are getting married soon and when we go on the bike now she knows what to expect so there are no arguments on what she can bring. If it fits in the bag you can take it and if you want to buy "stuff" on the trip you better make sure those bags you have will fit it.
You do you my friend. Me and mine try to compromise on most things. It usually works out better for both of us that way.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

The HD website had an article on just this topic.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...trip-tips.html

Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,785 Likes on 18,560 Posts

You do you my friend. Me and mine try to compromise on most things. It usually works out better for both of us that way.
Been married 50 years this December ... "Yes Dear" has gotten me through some very tough and tricky situations :>)

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
BigDogIdaho (04-21-2019), crazytown (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:47 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Finally got retired and put out to pasture so now have time for some M/C journey's. I enjoyed this thread and will try and convince my wife to read it. Hoping health will not get in the way so we have each shed about 25 Lb and go to the gym at least 3 x per wk for an hour. Worst case I might have to trailer the M/C to a good area and then tour around from a hotel / motel base but hoping we can just ride. I have several trip plans brewing. So these packing tips are great.

Quick Reply: Packing for a motorcycle trip