Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

East Coast to West Coast

Old 02-24-2019, 03:35 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,983 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by RGpittsburgh
I appreciate the responses so far. Especially route advice!! I am going to really have to consider weather and maybe push it mid/late march and early April. Today is a prime example.. warning for wind gusts up to 60mph! I just don't want to be in the middle of no where and some weather pop up bc what would I do with the bike? I could go inside somewhere but would my ride possibly get trashed or like swept up in a tornado?

What are peoples thoughts on miles per day? Someone told me 500. Ive done 500 in a day before but not days on end. Is this accurate?

I don't want to even to ask this but . ... What if I get a flat in the middle of no where? Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks,

I use AAA for my bikes--needed it 1/2 dozen times over the years[things like -starter/flat tire/ locked rear brakes etc...] it happens if you ride sooner or later-- back to your timeframe----you are still pushing it for bad weather in April---is there a good reason why not May or later ,just wondering--you could take a chance at making your way to I10 out of LA or TX -pretty boring road tho[ i,ve done it once and that was enough----- make sure to take many pics and keep us all updated

The following users liked this post:
RGpittsburgh (02-27-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:28 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,669 Likes on 2,310 Posts

In my experience, not just opinion March has usually been too early. You may find a window of decent weather that time of year but it’s more likely that you won’t. I’ve been “stuck” in Chattanooga,TN in March due to excessive SNOW on the roads.
The only route I’d even consider that time of year would be I-95 South to I-10. Get South as fast and far as possible before heading West.
Flat tire..?? I’m running tubeless tires. I carry a plug kit and small compressor that clips onto my battery for power. Worked great the one time I needed it.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:46 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

I did a deep south ride last year(early June)- San Diego back to MA. Awesome ride! Not sure if Mar/April is your only time frame. If it is, maybe head south quick to Mobile and pick up Rt 90 to New Orleans, then deep into LA Rt 82/27. Head to SW TX (don't miss the twisted sisters!) to Big Bend NP and FM 170 along the Rio Grand. Follow secondary highways to San Diego. I'm sure there's plenty of camping options, but I stay at the cheap motels(Motel 6, Days Inn, etc).

Old 02-25-2019, 06:19 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 2,549 Posts

You want to have some kind of Road Side assistance, do a search on this forum, it has been discussed extensively.

500 miles per day is doable but exhausting. If you are planning on seeing the sites as you go along, 250 is a better # to enjoy the ride.

You are going to hit weather, no matter when you take the trip. Buy good rain gear, cold weather clothes and go for it. As long as you stay dry and warm, you can ride thru most anything. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:32 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

I appreciate the responses so far. Especially route advice!! I am going to really have to consider weather and maybe push it mid/late march and early April. Today is a prime example.. warning for wind gusts up to 60mph! I just don't want to be in the middle of no where and some weather pop up bc what would I do with the bike? I could go inside somewhere but would my ride possibly get trashed or like swept up in a tornado?

What are peoples thoughts on miles per day? Someone told me 500. Ive done 500 in a day before but not days on end. Is this accurate?

I don't want to even to ask this but . ... What if I get a flat in the middle of no where? Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks,
I ride until my *** gives up or I feel like drinking a beer, could be 350 500 even 1000 whatever happens. I have roadside service with my insurance. I do carry tools and a tire repair kit.

RGpittsburgh (03-04-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 08:16 AM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks,
I rode 500 miles/day on my Sturgis trip from MA for 4 days each way. No problem. You have to stop for gas and breaks, so it's doable. Depends on your health, weather, traffic, etc. I have arthritis in my hips and still did it with the help of Motrin.

As far as flats, I bring this along with me to at least hope to fill with enough air to get to the nearest rest stop or gas station and call AAA/Progressive/HD for help.

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-28-2019, 11:39 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Winter returns to Tenn next week. Lows in the teens and highs low 30's. It's very iffy and unpredictable here until after April 15.but been 65 the last 3 days.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:20 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks,
Consider Ride On in your tires. I've used it several years now. There's a couple threads on it if you search, or google it for the site.
It balances tire and is puncture resistant.

RGpittsburgh (03-23-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 PM
switchglide12
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just rode to Daytona and back from NJ it was cold on the way there. Also this years weather has been crazy look what is happening now in western and south western states with crazy weather. If you can push it till mid April it will be better. Yes you can do 500 miles per day for about 3 or 4 days on then you will need 1 day of rest. I normally do big mileage days on day one and two, day three I slow down, day four is same as day one. As far as flat goes I carry plug and portable air pump. Good luck and safe travels.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Kozmo
Road Master

Received 325 Likes on 197 Posts

If you carry a weapon make sure you know the laws of the states you are riding through.
Reciprocation etc......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: East Coast to West Coast