Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Chicago To Yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Quicksilver55
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Chicago To Yellowstone

We are planning a trip this summer and it will be our first long trip in a long time. My only other long trip was Chicago to Missoula, MT back when I had a 69 sportster that was 1973. Work has always been in the way. Anyway we are going to ride out and spend 3 to 4 days going each way. We have friends in Cody so we will just stay there while we are out there. My question is with all the trip planning software we are trying to find campgrounds with cabins rather than a regular hotel. Problem is the software gives you the routing with options which we don't want any highways or toll roads basically 2 lane all the way out and back. The software doesn't give the names of the towns we will pass through or is there an option I am missing?

Old 03-03-2019, 06:43 PM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't know about software but a good old fashion US Road Atlas will have them all listed. We do long rides every summer and depend of GPS, WAZE and the Road Atlas. Covers all the bases.
Bill

Old 03-03-2019, 07:35 PM
Quicksilver55
Advanced

Thanks i do carry one of those as well mainly because i'm a little technically challenged to say the least.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:24 AM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,149 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Hey quicksilver55 as I read your thread I am green with envy!! I too am guilty of letting my work get in the way of enjoying more of the finer things in life!! it seems every year I tell myself this is going to be the one that I slow my roll and have a little fun!! but just seem to get busier all the more!! I have known too many people over the years that had good intensions saying to them selves that when I retire I can have fun then but for various reasons never made it to their goal!! I have a brother that lives in Cody and both my mother and father are buried there Cody is a very nice place!! Wish you the best on your trip and ride safe!!

Old 03-04-2019, 06:41 AM
Quicksilver55
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mallard Slayer
Hey quicksilver55 as I read your thread I am green with envy!! I too am guilty of letting my work get in the way of enjoying more of the finer things in life!! it seems every year I tell myself this is going to be the one that I slow my roll and have a little fun!! but just seem to get busier all the more!! I have known too many people over the years that had good intensions saying to them selves that when I retire I can have fun then but for various reasons never made it to their goal!! I have a brother that lives in Cody and both my mother and father are buried there Cody is a very nice place!! Wish you the best on your trip and ride safe!!
Thanks, I have just gotten to the point that if I don't do this I won't ever do it and that would be too bad. I am going to do this for the next 5 years and take 2 to 3 weeks each year. When I retire I will take the full summer and maybe more for trips.

The following users liked this post:
Mallard Slayer (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Look AT KOA and state parks along your route. I camped in Cody and did YS one year. It takes an hour to get to the entrance at YS and another hour to get to the southern loop in YS. It is a beautiful ride getting to the entrance.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Quicksilver55
Advanced

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Look AT KOA and state parks along your route. I camped in Cody and did YS one year. It takes an hour to get to the entrance at YS and another hour to get to the southern loop in YS. It is a beautiful ride getting to the entrance.
Yes I have been there before but trailered the bikes, this time we are riding out and back. The ride along the highway through the Shoshone national forest is beautiful. Going to spend a couple nights at the Elephant Head which is close to the east entrance.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

One of my Daughters used to live in Yorkville. Now she's in Plano.

Waiting on Olwhatshername to get time off approved for our trip to Yellowstone beginning of Sept.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Chilidog11
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Headed out that way ourselves this August from Chicago (burbs). Hitting South Dakota for a week before moving on to Yellowstone/Tetons. Have fun!

Old 03-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,436 Posts

If you're looking for small cabins check out the KOA's, they are everywhere, granted they tend to be close to the super slab but you can always meander to them then pick up the 2 laners again in the am.

Last edited by Bricklayer; 03-04-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Chicago To Yellowstone