Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Physical Maps vs. GPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:27 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Not much mention of Butler maps here; do most just not want to pay for them or are they really not that well known in Harley touring? I was first introduced to them by a BMW travelling couple years ago and now have the whole “set”. Cheap, compared to the overall cost of a couple weeks on the road far from home.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:03 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Not much mention of Butler maps here
It was mentioned in post #5 .

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I've found the Butler maps useful for mapping out a ride or adventure.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:54 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I haven't used paper maps in 20 years. GPS is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:54 PM
shoboli nan tanna
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GPS vs maps?

Seems GPS always reroutes.old school ,look at hard map then write down roads you will be on .just hwy numbers and turns on other hwys. Example ,hwy
237 n,left on hwy 22 w. N on hwy 43 etc.ect. on a small paper. It works like a charm from old days before GPS crap

The following users liked this post:
Mountain Cruiser (05-02-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 03:23 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by shoboli nan tanna
Seems GPS always reroutes.
Just set
Recalculation Mode: Off
problem solved.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:41 PM
Daggett
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Old skool sales guy

I am an outside sales guy for 20 plus years. Maps were my go to, then I discovered MapQuest and the ability to print turn by turn directions made life so much easier. Lo and behold Garmin and assorted other GPS companies came along and I was in heaven. No more missing an unmarked road that took me to my Chemical plant or remote engineering office. so you can imagine how I was Tickled as a pig in **** when Google maps came along. Life is so much easier, I just yell into my microphone the company and city and i'm there in what, well it says I'll be there in 65 minutes. oh yea, it also tells me there is a massive pile up in I 75 24 miles from me, here is a shorter route without the traffic. I ACCEPT!!!!
Now, having said that I used to have an uncanny ability to make my way around a city I had never been to before, just a very good sense of direction. Since Google, that is now a shell of it's previous self. not sure why

Old 05-14-2019, 01:45 PM
Daggett
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, I ride every day I can for my work. I"m outside sales and the last thing I need to do is slow down looking for an exit while I'm blasting down I 70. That's the thing, most guys ride local, some ride back and forth to work. I ride interstates for hundreds of miles so I use a windshield, full face helmet, and ear buds for the gps that give me the exact spot I need to turn. It' makes looking at mirror for traffic a lot easier. I get the whole map thing, it's a thing you see with all these guys on youtube with their little tank bags and directions but I think most of those guys are full of **** and use earbuds and a google maps app.
I have a lot or respect for guys who still map it or have the roads listed on where they turn but having to drive 200 plus miles across Ohio to Marietta, or northeast to Coshocton or north to Toledo on the interstate I'm not feeling it any more.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:46 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by shoboli nan tanna
Seems GPS always reroutes.
I basically never take the advice of GPS. I use it as an electronic version of a paper map. I will take its routing as a suggestion, but then go my own way. When I am riding, it is in the Tourpak charging. If I end up making a wrong turn somewhere, I just pretend I meant to do that and carry on.

The following users liked this post:
Weaselbeak (05-21-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 03:49 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

When planning a multi-day trip I like to look at google earth.
Google Earth allows me to look at a global view of an area and kinda/sorta virtually drive an area.
Then I look at paper map.
Those two allow me to "see" what other areas might be near and what might make for a good side trip.
Then I take a quick look at Roadside America to check if there is something different along route.
Most times it is a free stop worth 5 minutes to stretch legs.
Tripadvisor is also good to see what there is to do in an area or section of your ride.
The GPS is then programmed with a route using the HD Ride Planner.
Saddle bag will have a paper map to review daily at ride start and maybe during stops, meals or at end of evening to plan next day.
Traveling with both a GPS and Paper Map allows for a more complete view and if one has a hiccup then other is available for back-up.
The GPS is a big help when roads have no signage or your map has a number for road but road sign has a name.
Keep in mind that either can have an error so both should be used as a tool along with some common sense knowledge.
Just because a paper map or gps says a gas station exists means nothing.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:07 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,139 Likes on 3,508 Posts

I honestly can't recall the last time I used a paper map for anything. Google maps to plan (use street view to peruse the actual road and sights), then set up the route and load it into my Boom unit. In the car, my Pixel 3XL gets it done.

Quick Reply: Physical Maps vs. GPS