Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florida to yellowstone approved!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

Side helmet mount?
That's another thing I need to decide were to mount it.
I had a cheapo mounted on the bottom of my windshield but it vibrated pretty bad. Not a lot of room on my handle bars.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 889 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
Side helmet mount?
That's another thing I need to decide were to mount it.
I had a cheapo mounted on the bottom of my windshield but it vibrated pretty bad. Not a lot of room on my handle bars.
I have mine mounted on top of my helmet. yeah it looks geeky but who cares. The trick is to keep your head as still as possible and just try to move your eyes. Here is a photo taken while on the side of my tour pack ( for reference ) I should point out that the Gopro's take great pics wherever you have it mounted, but for video the helmet is my choice..

Last edited by Hammerhead Pat; 03-14-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
I have mine mounted on top of my helmet. yeah it looks geeky but who cares. The trick is to keep your head as still as possible and just try to move your eyes. Here is a photo taken while on the side of my tour pack ( for reference ) I should point out that the Gopro's take great pics wherever you have it mounted, but for video the helmet is my choice..
Agree about the top of helmet. Yeah it does look kind of dorky but oh well. I would consider on the chinbar of a full face helmet, but my full face helmets don't have space to center it on, due to the vent. If its on the top and you see something cool off to the left or right, you can turn your head and have a good idea by the direction you are facing that you are capturing it on video.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:33 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

I'm wearing a modular that has the flip down visor controls that slide along the top. I'll have to look and see if there's room up there to mount the cam and still have it level.

Mama's really into looking at cams now. Went out to dinner before a concert last night and that's about all she wanted to talk about. Jeesch, LOL

Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

She's leaning towards the Hero 7 Black.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 889 Likes on 534 Posts

I guess it depends how fancy you need to be. I have 4 GoPro's ( 3 of which I grabbed off Ebay for less than $50 each ).They are all Hero 3 White's and I am very satisfied with the quality of video. Be aware that GoPro's are notorious for battery issues in cold/cooler weather, I have had issues both times I was in Yellowstone area...

Old 03-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

I guess I'll be sitting back and waiting till my birthday in May to see what she decides.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

On the battery, I have an aftermarket extended battery for my GoPro3. That allows it to record in high settings for around 5 hours straight. My GoPro 6 and probably the 7 you are looking at changed the battery compartment design so, I am not sure if it even has a decent extended battery option available. If I'm going to be recording for a long time with the 6, I use an external battery with USB, a universal one meant for charging phones and such and plug it into the GoPro keeping the battery in a jacket pocket.

Another thing I've thought of is the editing software. The stuff the new GoPro's come with (Quick) is junk in my opinion. My 3 came with better editing software for the GoPro but they don't offer or maintain it anymore. I can use it for my 6 but don't think it will handle some of the newer features the 6 has available.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

The little I've read says they kept the same battery in the 7.

I was thinking of running a power wire up to my helmet with a disconnect but if I can get around even 3 hours I think I'll be ok with a spare or 2.

Before I know it I'll have a cam, sound, a/c and dvd in this new helmet. lol

Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
I'm wearing a modular that has the flip down visor controls that slide along the top. I'll have to look and see if there's room up there to mount the cam and still have it level.

Mama's really into looking at cams now. Went out to dinner before a concert last night and that's about all she wanted to talk about. Jeesch, LOL
I had a similar situation, my Modular helmet (Nolan N-104) has a slider for a top vent in the middle of my helmet, also I figured even if I mounted the cam on top of the helmet it would interfere with raising the chin bar of a modular helmet. I went with a mount from RikRak
https://www.rickrak.com/go-pro-mounts/

They are simple to mount if you have a Roadglide or Streetglide/ultra, you take out one of the windshield trim screws then screw in the included stud and lastly you screw the mount to the stud. I have had mine almost two years and never taken the mount off

They have other versions for other HD models as well

Quick Reply: Florida to yellowstone approved!!!