Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Asking advice to get past Chicago, etc. from Idaho to Maine/NJ.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Default Asking advice to get past Chicago, etc. from Idaho to Maine/NJ.

We tour the West every year, but it has been nearly 40 years since I rode from Maine to the West coast. Also, that was on a sporty and down the east coast, around the gulf, southwest and up the West Coast. Never been through those states I can't draw correctly, from SD to upper state NY. We are three bikes, four people headed to Maine from Idaho/Washington. Then down the coast to Philadelphia, Tennessee and back through Missouri and Oklahoma.

My request, aside from going through Canada, is what other routes do experienced Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois riders recommend. PMs are fine.

After the urban sprawl of Chicago, from The Adirondacks East, we are headed through the Adirondacks, then Vermont, white mountains to mid Maine. I grew up in Maine and skied Vermont, NH and Maine! And had a XLH at 14 to explore NE and while it's changed, I remember most of the best roads from Watertown, NY to Maine. But everything East of Rapid City and South of Thunder Bay and North of Shreveport is unfamiliar territory. Trying to do 340-350 miles a day. Motels in more rural and affordable communities. I can find those, just need so suggestions on the Best routes.

I see there is a ferry from Manitowoc to Ludington. Does anyone recommend it?

We have family in McLeansboro, IL and near Springfield, MO. We'll probably come back through there and hit Oklahoma before heading back into God's country unless it just makes sense going East as well.

We are open to destination rides. That said, we are traveling through, so extra side trips are not in our game plan, but we'll always make an exception for the exception.

We are a Road King with tour pack, a Road Glide Ultra, and a Street Glide Special with rack and pack.

The following users liked this post:
scarey (04-24-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 11:40 PM
Deacon Blues
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The ferry from Manitowoc to Ludington (SS Badger) is older and takes 4 hours to cross Lake Michigan. There is another ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon, MI that is newer and only takes 2 hours to cross. It's called the Lake Express Ferry. About $100 per person one way and $50 per motorcycle one way. They run specials in the spring and fall where motorcycles are free. https://www.lake-express.com/specials/
The ferry port in Milwaukee is only a few miles from the HD museum, so you could check out the museum while you're in the area.

If you go through Chicago, the best time to do it is on the weekends, or later in the evening (after 7pm). It helps to have a toll pass, like I-PASS to save from stopping at all the toll booths.

son of the hounds (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:44 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I have stayed on I80 going around Chicago. Works well. I have also taken the ferry. Nice with no worries about Chicago. Usually though, when I leave Home in Ohio around 5 or 5:30 AM Saturday morning, I go right through Chicago. Around 10:30 AM I am riding past the Sears tower. Not bad on a Saturday morning. Good luck, ride safely and have fun.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:42 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

I go around Chicago. It's a little farther but I figure I'm not stuck in traffic or lines at tolls. On the other hand, it's still pretty busy on I80 through Joliet Il and Gary Ind. That's the busiest part for me going west. Enjoy the trip. I love the mountains up here in the NE.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Have taken 94 to 80 both ways under Chicago many times, is it busy, it can be, just like any areas surrounding a big city. To minimize the business I try to get thru there in the am on either a Saturday or Sunday, when actually its not that bad. If you want to start heading north after Chi-town you can take 39 by LaSalle,to 90/94 and so on, only one toll booth going that way.
Like has been said you can take the ferry out of Muskegon to Milwaukee, have never done it but imagine 94 west out of Milwaukee is no picnic either.
Looks like the ferry is a 2 1/2 hr trip, $95 per person-$53 a motorcycle, $86 if you're pulling a trailer. I can buy a lot of gas for a $148.

Last edited by Bricklayer; 04-15-2019 at 08:48 PM.
son of the hounds (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:43 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by giacomo56:
Architect (04-17-2019), son of the hounds (04-16-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM
weezer_nd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Used the ferry once, you need to bring your own tie down straps. If time is not an issue head up to and ride the Mackinaw bridge and then head down the Tunnel of Trees scenic heritage route.

son of the hounds (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:44 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts
Old 04-17-2019, 05:50 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I do take 39 when going down south. I go further south, but I havn't gone to east coast. I lived in Porter. Not the worse, but still traffic.

son of the hounds (04-17-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,231 Likes on 5,992 Posts

I just went to Minneapolis from Lansing, MI for the final four. Due to a tire event before we got out of Michigan, we got into Chicago at just the right time.... nasty *** traffic jam. My buddy goes through there all the time and seems content with this. I was not. By the way, Minneapolis has horrible traffic as well. On the return trip I decided to bypass Chicago, but I80 around the south was just as bad as downtown. No the trip up was Friday and we returned on Monday. I decided if I ever got to Minneapolis again, i'm going across the bridge through the UP and avoid Chicago and Illinois completely. SO..... check out the route going from Wisconsin into Michigan Upper Peninsula across the bridge and head down i75. I strongly recommend you bypass Chicago as much as possible.

son of the hounds (04-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Asking advice to get past Chicago, etc. from Idaho to Maine/NJ.