Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2019 Planned Long Rides

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Michigan to Sturgis for 4-5 days via super slab, then thru Wyoming into Idaho,Oregon to see what I see then up into Washington to visit a friend via ?, then towards home across the top probably on highway 2 into the Upper Peninsula down across the Mackinaw bridge and home.
Solo ride as usual.
Oil change all 3 holes, maybe new tires if need be, other than that just give it a once over.
Try to have an idea where I'll stop at end of day, give or take, I camp so I can always hit a rest area if I have to.
Just guessing on miles, maybe 4,800 to 5,200.

Last edited by Bricklayer; 04-21-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:07 PM
yzernie
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
Probably Sturgis. Straight route to save time. Might go on to Yellowstone and Beartooth Pass.
If you have never done the Beartooth Pass, it is IMO a must do. Amazing ride.

From location to location?
SoCal to West Virginia to see my kinfolk.

Is it a straightest route type or is a whimsical see were the road takes you kinda trip?
No straight route. From SoCal to Central Oregon, to Cleveland, to West Virginia, to Houston, to the Texas Hill Country and back to SoCal.

Are you riding by yourself or with a group (size of the group)?
Most by myself but will meet some of my friends along the way.

Preparations to the bike?
New rubber, fresh oil/air filter and get on the road!! Will need to stop for at least one oil change during the trip.

Pre-planning or off the cuff?
Pre-planned for the most part. Will probably be a few days of seat of the pants planning too!!

Minimum miles you expect to cover on this trip?
8,000 miles minimum

Camping or Hotel?
Hotels and staying with family and friends along the way.

Must have equipment?
I have a travel check list of things to take on my long trips. To many to list here.

Why?
Because I'm retired and not getting any younger and because I want to!!

Sites you are for sure going to see?
Family is the most important but there will be plenty of side trips to and fro.

This route shows the most direct ways from location to location. There will be plenty of side trips and deviations from this route!!

Last edited by yzernie; 04-22-2019 at 05:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by yzernie:
DGDeuce (04-24-2019), Dmdrone (04-23-2019), VDeuce (05-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:12 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Southeast Texas to the texas panhandle through northern New Mexico and then to northern Arizona to the North Rim down through the eastern side of AZ. south.then back home not sure of the entire route back home.Will be staying in motels.Will be 5 of us maybe 6.Usual preps on the bike,change fluids,tires should be good(only have a little over 5k on them.Check brakes. Over 3,000 miles for sure.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:59 AM
hdmech
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Houston,BC to Thunder Bay then south to St. Paul. From there west to Rapid City,tour the Black Hills and then north back to Houston. Wife and I staying in hotels and Air bnb.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:06 AM
DMo
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

On Memorial Day, I'm leaving for a week long trip from San Francisco on my 2016 Dyna FXDL. Spending the first few days solo. Riding through Big Sur and spending the night in/near San Luis Obispo or Atascadero. Then riding further south through Solvang, Santa Barbara and spending the night in/near Ojai. Likely camping both those nights. Excited to ride the canyons of CA-33 for the first time, north from Ojai to the Bakersfield area.

In Bakersfield, I join up with the national HOG Ride the Sierras Touring Rally. Believe I'll be riding with a fellow member or two from the local HOG chapter. We'll be in and out of the Sierras for three days with nights in Fresno, Jamestown, and Sacramento.

Excited to get some of the best of California on one trip: Bug Sur coast, high desert canyons, and the Sierras.

Last edited by DMo; 04-23-2019 at 10:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mtgriz (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13,166 Likes on 5,400 Posts

Pulling my 5ther with the bikes in the back up to Yellowstone for a week then down to Sturgis for another week this summer.....gonna ride Beartooth while up in Wyoming and a few other roads.....I see people on other sites crying about those with motor homes and trailers....they're just jealous *****....I take my 5th wheel so I'm not paying out the *** for a place to sleep and it's my home away from home....I'm too old to be sleeping on the ground....plus I have my fishing gear and other important things that I need for when we're not riding the bikes....we'll be putting plenty of miles on the speedos....

The following 2 users liked this post by Hellbilly562:
CanadianRocky (05-06-2019), DK Custom (06-02-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:22 AM
Chilidog11
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Chicago "burbs" to Badlands/Black Hills/Deadwood then onto Red Lodge MT with a stop at the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Yellowstone and the Tetons then home. Traveling with two other couples.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 AM
yzernie
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DMo
Excited to ride the canyons of CA-33 for the first time, north from Ojai to the Bakersfield area.
I have ridden the Hwy 33/Hwy 166 route many times over the years. Beautiful ride!! Friendly reminder that when you drop off the mountain and head down Hwy 33 toward Bakersfield and get to the bottom it can be really hot at that time of the year. Carry hydration with you.

DMo (05-15-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:34 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbilly562
Pulling my 5ther with the bikes in the back up to Yellowstone for a week then down to Sturgis for another week this summer.....gonna ride Beartooth while up in Wyoming and a few other roads.....I see people on other sites crying about those with motor homes and trailers....they're just jealous *****....I take my 5th wheel so I'm not paying out the *** for a place to sleep and it's my home away from home....I'm too old to be sleeping on the ground....plus I have my fishing gear and other important things that I need for when we're not riding the bikes....we'll be putting plenty of miles on the speedos....
As long as it's not IN the speedos!

donmontalvo (06-10-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:35 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Another Twisted Sisters trip. Hopefully this year before the weather gets to be 100 degrees.

Quick Reply: 2019 Planned Long Rides