Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2019 Planned Long Rides

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Heritage98
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We are leaving second weekend in June on a 9 day trip with a base route of almost 3,000 miles but you know that always goes up. Staying mostly in hotels but a couple nights with family. We did a big riding routes trip last year but this is more of a destinations trip. Going to 3 Rivers in Pittsburg, Niagara Falls, Canton HOF, Ohio State Reformatory/Shawshank, Gross Burgers, Bloomington, Harley Musem, Lambeau Field, Indy Speedway, and finally a Reds game on the way back to SC. Why, there's still so much in the US we haven't seen and I get to ride to all of them....

Old 05-02-2019, 02:46 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,990 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Lambeau Field would be Cool (kick Rodgers in the butt for me) Ha .... Enjoy !

Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Headed out in the Morning or possibly Sunday morning depending on what is going on with the Rain tomorrow. I don't mind riding through rain here and there but not a fan of 450 miles in rain.

My wife and I plus my son and daughter in law will be headed to a cabin in the Smokey Mountains for a week of riding. Plan is to leave our home in MS and do about 450 miles to Cleveland TN on day one. Day two will be about 180 miles from Cleveland TN along the Ocoee River and Nantahala National Forrest to Robinsville NC to hit the Cherohala Skyway and make or way NE to the Cabin near Severville. We will spend the next week hitting all the great roads in the mountains

Old 05-03-2019, 08:59 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,990 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Headed out in the Morning or possibly Sunday morning depending on what is going on with the Rain tomorrow. I don't mind riding through rain here and there but not a fan of 450 miles in rain.

My wife and I plus my son and daughter in law will be headed to a cabin in the Smokey Mountains for a week of riding. Plan is to leave our home in MS and do about 450 miles to Cleveland TN on day one. Day two will be about 180 miles from Cleveland TN along the Ocoee River and Nantahala National Forrest to Robinsville NC to hit the Cherohala Skyway and make or way NE to the Cabin near Severville. We will spend the next week hitting all the great roads in the mountains
We usually stay in the Tellico Plains cabins at the base of Cherohala. Nice garage for the bikes.
Great area for riding !... Enjoy !

Old 05-03-2019, 09:27 AM
SEFast
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pacific Coast Highway (PCH)

From location to location? West Haven, Utah to West Haven, Utah (2 Weeks)

Is it a straightest route type or is a whimsical see were the road takes you kinda trip? Planned route taking in all the sites of the Pacific Coast Hwy

Are you riding by yourself or with a group (size of the group)? Two-Up (Wife and myself)

Preparations to the bike? Fresh oil and Air Filter

Pre-planning or off the cuff? Pre-Planned with a day or so free riding

Minimum miles you expect to cover on this trip? 2,600 minimum

Camping or Hotel? Hotels

Must have equipment? I have a MC Checklist to ensure we take everything

Why? We do a 1 to 2 week ride every Summer

Sites you are for sure going to see? Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Alcatraz, Street Cars, Pacific Coast Hwy (San Fran up into WA), Avenue of the Giants, Redwoods, Bandon Game Safari Park (MUST SEE), Tillamook Cheese Factory, Astoria OR, 17 or so Lighthouses up the coast and Waterfalls along Columbia River Gorge.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:37 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,603 Posts

My "long range ride" for this season will be from Michigan to Nova Scotia (and back), but my routes and side trips are still T.B.D. as I am waiting to see if I may have company going with me.
I'm planning on going through VT into NH then onto NS and perhaps Newfoundland if I go by myself or if the others (s) also want to go.

My '18 Tri-Glide needs nothing that I'm aware of and I'll be taking a t least one (maybe two) "tune-up" runs before then and I'll have it serviced just before I leave even if that service may be a little early.

I plan my routes before I go and I book rooms when and where I know I will be and especially so if they're in busy vacation locations.
I will also do the same for the ferry(s) crossings if m plans include Newfoundland, even though they can usually try to "cram" motorcycles on to the ship if at all possible, but a trike does require more space so I just want to make sure that I will have a reserved spot in order to stay on schedule.

I'm "guestimating" this trip will be close to 5,000 miles and I'm thinking three-to-four weeks on the road, depending on the trip to NL.

As with any trip, I plan on going solo.
I first pack the things that I know that I MUST HAVE AND WILL NEED:
Driver's License, Credit Card, cash, Med. Insurance I.D, Prescription medications (in proper containers), Registration, Insurance Certificate, AAA card, extra key & FOB, and basic tools including a "tire plugging" kit, and a mini air compressor.
Leather jacket (with heated liner), three pairs of gloves, rain gear and two helmets.
Anything else can be purchased along the way if needed.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:11 AM
skills
Tourer
Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Like I ride too mate,cool. "Where the good weather takes me". ps. fellow Cana-diean, just say "Toronto!" Be proud mate , we don't have to point oot the name of our country.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:00 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,106 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilidog11
Chicago "burbs" to Badlands/Black Hills/Deadwood then onto Red Lodge MT with a stop at the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Yellowstone and the Tetons then home. Traveling with two other couples.
A really nice way to get from Little Big Horn to Yellowstone is to head south to Ranchester (a slab, but just pin the bitch), then head west on 14, and onto 14a towards Cody ..... Bucket list road.... there is a Medicine wheel up a short gravel road, I have not seen it, but here it is worth a bit of dust on the bike. Cody is a great place to stay.... Museums, gunfights in the street, rodeos and Whiskey at the Irma....

The following users liked this post:
mtgriz (05-07-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 07:59 PM
TurboOtter
Stage II
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

First big trip for my wife and I got her a 2016 Heritage in 2016 and we have been doing some overnights. We live in Prince Rupert BC, where there is only one road out, unless you take the ferry to Vancouver Island. We both just retired, so we have no real goalposts day to day.

She is heading out first to Drayton Valley AB for the Women the wind Convention and I will meet her there at the end. From there we will wander east to Ontario to visit family and hit a Country Music festival and visit family. Planning on heading to Milwaukee sometime in the last week of August to visit HD Museum and then onto Chicago and the beginning of Route 66, a bucket list item for both of us. The plan is to take our time and see the southwest. Going to hang a left in LA and see family in San Diego. After that Coast hiway north to Vancouver and Port Hardy and the ferry home. All told, about 9000 miles and 6 or 7 weeks. Going to motel it and hopefully meet some good folks on the road.

We are doing lots of preplanning and whittling down to the essentials. Anything we don’t have, we get on the way.

The following 3 users liked this post by TurboOtter:
CanadianRocky (05-08-2019), hdmech (05-09-2019), mtgriz (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:05 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Great post Turbo....you folks are retiring in style. I can tell you’ll meet a bunch of interesting folks in your travels. If you’re inclined maybe post or 2 from the road.

Quick Reply: 2019 Planned Long Rides