Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road Trip'n to the Smokey Mtns

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:54 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 693 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by K Melancon
I’m just south of Denham. I’ve probably been to the Smokies around 30 times. My favorite spots are.

Cades Cove early morning before everyone else, if you go on a Harley and with all the others in the evening you can expect the bike to overheat constantly. Passed on it last year but will try to fit it in.

Foothills Parkway. They just opened (Fall 2018) a new section from Wears Valley Road and now runs from Wears Valley to US -129. Hit it last year, can't wait to ride the new section.

Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. Access from Airport Rd & Main St Gatlinburg turn go to back and it will dump you back into Gatlinburg on the other end of town near craft community. Traffic is slow and light very peaceful putt putt through but it is a one way lane only. Very very good chance of seeing bears deer and turkeys here. Drove that a couple time last year. Yes, it's nice!

Deals Gap. Monday through Thursday for me. It’s a lot better than it was years ago with all the race bikes. They not as bad but still have some. Just give them room to get around or pull over when you can. Yup, mid week early for me

Moonshiner from Deals Gap to Cherokee, N.C Have not heard of this one...I'll have to hit it. We did ride from 129 (at the store) to Cherokee, we might have ridden it and not known it.

Wheels Through Time, Maggie Valley, N.C. If you never been something to see, many old bikes that have been restored and they run. You will see the guys riding them around the property. Been there, will go again for sure!

Blue Ridge Parkway. To me the best area is near Asheville, N.C. then north a good distance through N.C. Noted

Newfound Gap Rd. Smokey Mountains from Gatlinburg to Cherokee This is a great road

Clingsman Dome. Make sure you walk up the trail to the tower to look out. if you never have or your buddies this is a must. �� Noted

Cherohala Skyway. Noted

Take off get lost and you will be on a good road. Several hours out and find your way back in.

Just so much to see out there. Just about any road is a good road. I know my way around but I still put my destination into the GPS. Then I zoom in just right so I can see the pink line and view each curve ahead. As I approach a curve I quickly glance at the GPS screen and view the pink line on the road to make sure I’m not going to be surprised by a curve.

I know when we got back home after last years ride, we laughed at the caution signs here that indicated "curvy road ahead".

Old 05-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

The Foothills parkway is beautiful now that it's completed.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:31 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Foothills Parkway

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
The Foothills parkway is beautiful now that it's completed.
Tru dat...

Old 05-01-2019, 07:19 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Stop at SMOKEY MT HARLEY in MARYVILLE . The place is HUGE , talk to the people there , they know the best roads and areas to see . We always hit a local harley dealer when on the road , they knowf where to eat , sleep and what to avoid . Never had an issue . We also never make reservations , and then ask what areas are safe and which to avoid . ENJOY THE RIDE !!! GUY TRIPS ARE THE BEST !!!!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
tas_todd (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 05:17 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

The entire Foothills parkway is not done and likely will never be. They still have the right of way to do it , but cost have gone up. Delays due to the Missing link bridge and others things held it back to long. We can only hope that some day of it is done.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:47 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
The entire Foothills parkway is not done and likely will never be. They still have the right of way to do it , but cost have gone up. Delays due to the Missing link bridge and others things held it back to long. We can only hope that some day of it is done.
Were else was it supposed to run?

Old 05-05-2019, 12:10 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

First there isn't any bad roads to ride in this area. tas todd if you can't get to cades cove very early pass. ljlkjl05 with the time of year you are going you can probably do cades cove if you go early during the week. have fun.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:50 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

It would take time to dig up the old plans. They had a lot more planned for it Money, the bridge issue politics ect never allowed the full route to be finished. They do still have right of way to build more of it if other issues are dealt with and there is a desire to.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:59 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K Melancon
I’m just south of Denham. I’ve probably been to the Smokies around 30 times. My favorite spots are.....

Newfound Gap Rd. Smokey Mountains from Gatlinburg to Cherokee …..

Just so much to see out there. Just about any road is a good road.
Scenic Overlook on New Found Gap gave me my best memory of why they call them the "Smokies".

Last edited by Fireax; 05-09-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:23 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 693 Likes on 357 Posts

On Google maps, it looks like they've already got the land marked as a park (in green) from the foothills parkway in Wears Valley to Cosby Tn. I wonder if that's it?

Quick Reply: Road Trip'n to the Smokey Mtns