Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road Trip'n to the Smokey Mtns

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 12:03 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 693 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Road Trip'n to the Smokey Mtns

Plan to ride outta the Baton Rouge area late July to mid August. The ride from La to there is nothing much but, the ride once there is GREAT! Plan on staying in between Townsend and Wears valley in a cabin. Last time I brought my camper with the wife, this time, just the boys. Last year we got a ride map of the area with all the good rides mapped out, that was a good help.

Any and all suggestions and/or ideas will help.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:42 PM
LJLKRL05
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I live north of Denham Springs, and we are going in September. Staying in a cabin near Gatlinburg.
https://mysmokymountainguide.com/ has some good ride maps but you know you can't go wrong with the Blue Ridge Parkway, Foothills Parkway and the Cherahola Skyway. Avoid Cades Cove.
Are you riding the bike from BR to TN or trailering?

Old 04-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

Make time to ride down into N.Georgia, Suches, Elijay, Dahlonega area has some real nice roads..

The following users liked this post:
Indawynd (05-09-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 02:48 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Originally Posted by tas_todd
Plan to ride outta the Baton Rouge area late July to mid August. The ride from La to there is nothing much but, the ride once there is GREAT! Plan on staying in between Townsend and Wears valley in a cabin. Last time I brought my camper with the wife, this time, just the boys. Last year we got a ride map of the area with all the good rides mapped out, that was a good help.

Any and all suggestions and/or ideas will help.
n
You will be in the prefect spot to ride the Missing link bridge. It open last year after 52 years . It is on the foot hills parkway between Townsend and Wear valley . Claims now to be the most scenic view in the Smokey Mtns. I will be there May 24th or 25th.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:00 PM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

It will be hot, but, if your from Baton Rouge, you ought to know.

Cades Cove will probably be crowded. The last time I went (and I mean last time on a bike) it was 10 ft at a time, when it was moving. Bike fried the boys pretty bad.

5wheels (05-05-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 06:12 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 693 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by LJLKRL05
I live north of Denham Springs, and we are going in September. Staying in a cabin near Gatlinburg.
https://mysmokymountainguide.com/ has some good ride maps but you know you can't go wrong with the Blue Ridge Parkway, Foothills Parkway and the Cherahola Skyway. Avoid Cades Cove.
Are you riding the bike from BR to TN or trailering?
Riding out this time.

Originally Posted by ROUNDHEAD
It will be hot, but, if your from Baton Rouge, you ought to know.

Cades Cove will probably be crowded. The last time I went (and I mean last time on a bike) it was 10 ft at a time, when it was moving. Bike fried the boys pretty bad.

What's the temp average that time? Last year we went last week in May and it was cool mornings and warm days. We picked August hoping that most of the people would be thinning out. Have you been in September before?

Old 05-01-2019, 06:59 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Headed out of MS on the bikes with the Wife, Son and daughter in Law Saturday Morning to the Smokey's for a week. So many great rides up there, some of may favorites are Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner 28, foothills parkway, Dragon there are to many to list. A trip into Maggie Valley and Wheels Through Time is always a great place to visit.

Lots of good maps on this page
https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/

Usually when we go we hit the interstate out of MS west toward Birmingham and just burn up the first 400 plus miles and spend the night in Cleveland TN which is a little NE of Chattanooga. Then the next morning take 74 out of Cleveland East which follows the Ocoee into the Nantahala National Forrest. At that point you can go to Cherokee NC then North on 441 through the Mountains toward Gatlinburg or go toward Robinsville NC and link up with the Cherohala Skyway.

Doing this lets up burn up the first 440 miles that are not that scenic through MS, AL and into TN on day one. Cabin checkins up there are not usually until after 4 so this gives us all day to ride the 150-200 miles depending on our route through the mountains with great scenery on day two to the cabin

Old 05-01-2019, 07:05 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by tas_todd
Riding out this time.

What's the temp average that time? Last year we went last week in May and it was cool mornings and warm days. We picked August hoping that most of the people would be thinning out. Have you been in September before?
July and August are the hottest months up there usually mid to upper 80s and mid to upper 50s at night. September it starts to cool down with lower 80s in the day and lower 50s at night

We have been there in Sept and its great riding weather. My favorite times are Early to mid May and then late Aug through Sept. because it seems less crowded those times of the year but still great riding weather. Its definitely a relief from the high 90s we see in MS and LA in Aug/Sept LOL

tas_todd (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 09:59 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I’m just south of Denham. I’ve probably been to the Smokies around 30 times. My favorite spots are.

Cades Cove early morning before everyone else, if you go on a Harley and with all the others in the evening you can expect the bike to overheat constantly.

Foothills Parkway. They just opened (Fall 2018) a new section from Wears Valley Road and now runs from Wears Valley to US -129.

Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. Access from Airport Rd & Main St Gatlinburg turn go to back and it will dump you back into Gatlinburg on the other end of town near craft community. Traffic is slow and light very peaceful putt putt through but it is a one way lane only. Very very good chance of seeing bears deer and turkeys here.

Deals Gap. Monday through Thursday for me. It’s a lot better than it was years ago with all the race bikes. They not as bad but still have some. Just give them room to get around or pull over when you can.

Moonshiner from Deals Gap to Cherokee, N.C

Wheels Through Time, Maggie Valley, N.C. If you never been something to see, many old bikes that have been restored and they run. You will see the guys riding them around the property.

Blue Ridge Parkway. To me the best area is near Asheville, N.C. then north a good distance through N.C.

Newfound Gap Rd. Smokey Mountains from Gatlinburg to Cherokee

Clingsman Dome. Make sure you walk up the trail to the tower to look out. if you never have or your buddies this is a must. ��

Cherohala Skyway.

Take off get lost and you will be on a good road. Several hours out and find your way back in.

Just so much to see out there. Just about any road is a good road. I know my way around but I still put my destination into the GPS. Then I zoom in just right so I can see the pink line and view each curve ahead. As I approach a curve I quickly glance at the GPS screen and view the pink line on the road to make sure I’m not going to be surprised by a curve.

Last edited by K Melancon; 05-01-2019 at 10:03 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by K Melancon:
Fireax (05-09-2019), slughill (05-07-2019), smitty901 (05-12-2019), tas_todd (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:57 AM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

If you going to be that close Spend the extra 40 minutes and ride over to deals gap (dragons tail) while you're there. The roads getting over there a pretty good as well.

Quick Reply: Road Trip'n to the Smokey Mtns