Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Kansas city to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 07:18 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,918 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Cruiser
I dream of crossing the plains on my motorcycle.

Romantic idea till you actually have to do it, they aren't called the fly over states for nothing........

Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 PM
Spook1966
Banned
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ha

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Romantic idea till you actually have to do it, they aren't called the fly over states for nothing........
No **** .wasteland

Old 05-17-2019, 08:43 PM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

That’s what they say about the Nevada High Desert too but I love it. I’d give it a run.

Last edited by Mountain Cruiser; 05-17-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Having lived outside of Rockford Illinois....we used to do 20 west to Sioux City the route 2 ....If you go up 2 you can vere off on 83 thru the Indian reservation and go up to Valentine then go up thru the Badlands. If you have never seen the Badlands I recommend it. If you taking 2 days Hwy 2 and the Badlands is a great ride just plan your gas stops. I would avoid I-70 thru Kansas. Hwy 36 out of ST. Joseph is a better ride thru Kansas.....
excellent ride except through the reservation, but everyone has to see it once or twice in their lives.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 PM
haak30
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
I went to KC last time we rode to Sturgis, I was there for BBQ. Anyway, from KC we took the interstate to Grand Island NE, then hooked up with Route 2 to Chadron NE. Stopped the night, next day just go north on 385 from Chadron and you are in the Black Hills almost immediately. We were meeting friends in a rented house in Deadwood, even with stopping at Wind Cave NP and doing the tour, we were at the house by lunch time. Based on mileage from KC to Chadron, must have stopped overnight in NE somewhere, but I honestly do not remember right now, would need to check my road log. Maybe we went to Omaha the first day or stayed in Grand Island!?!?!? I know we went to the dealership in Grand Island, they had an amazing museum upstairs with tons of killer bikes, but I think they all got auctioned off. Anyway, 2 is pretty isolated, plan your gas stops, but nice road and way better then the Interstate. Fair amount of bike travel, everyone else going to Sturgis. If I was coming from your direction, I would go that way again. It was a nice change from jamming across SD on I-90. Good luck.
What he said! Not a lot of traffic, lots of trains traveling along the hiway just to keep things interesting, rolling hills. Also look at taking Hiway 27 North out of Ellsworth NE, will add a little more time to your ride, but some really nice country through there for Ne, might see a car or two going into Gordon Ne.
I live in Grand Island, so if you have any Ne questions I’ll be able to help.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:13 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

We look at the weather and then pick our route, most of the time it is Hwy 36 west through Kansas then head north to miss storms and take the southern route into the hills. Gas can be a issue in north western Nebraska and southwest southwest South Dakota but just watch and fill up often

Old 05-21-2019, 04:24 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I am one of those that really enjoys riding through the plains, but not on the interstates. I went up through the NE sand hills a couple of years ago on my way to visit a friend in Sturgis (non-rally time but met at the rally) and I thought it was great. The people that I met here and there in Nebraska were interesting and friendly. The Fur Trade Museum outside Chadron was an interesting stop. As many have mentioned, gas is something to think about out there--ahead of time, lol.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I appreciate the tips. I'll have the 2 days to get from KC to Sturgis so not in a real rush to get to Sturgis and sleep on the ground a day early. I think I'll take route 2 as suggested. I love 2 lane roads that are very isolated. I really enjoyed riding across Kansas on 50. Its the 2 lane road that goes through Dodge City. I like riding across that "wasteland"...just not on a 4 lane super slab. I see the route pictured goes though Hays. Is there anything historical to see there? Heard that town mentioned quite a few times watching gunsmoke on tv

Last edited by CalypsoNotch93; 05-22-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,918 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness03
I appreciate the tips. I'll have the 2 days to get from KC to Sturgis so not in a real rush to get to Sturgis and sleep on the ground a day early. I think I'll take route 2 as suggested. I love 2 lane roads that are very isolated. I really enjoyed riding across Kansas on 50. Its the 2 lane road that goes through Dodge City. I like riding across that "wasteland"...just not on a 4 lane super slab. I see the route pictured goes though Hays. Is there anything historical to see there? Heard that town mentioned quite a few times watching gunsmoke on tv

That's the case you'll thrilled to tears with the back route into the black hill. Again don't pass up a gas stop over 75mi. I've been skunked out there finding a planned stop had been closed a while.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

A slightly more interesting route I've taken is from St Louis up to Des Moines Iowa over to Sioux City. Avoids a lot of interstate and better scenery than going to Kansas City. Mileage and time are roughly the same. The Iowa State fair is going about the same time so you might catch some traffic in the city but it's never been very bad when I've come through. Then just book it to Rapid on i-90

Quick Reply: Kansas city to Sturgis