Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Key West - Late July/Early Augst

Old 05-22-2019, 12:43 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Key West - Late July/Early Augst

Wife and I are considering heading down to Key West as part of a larger trip that would first take us through the Smokies around the tail of the dragon area. We need to trailer to at least that area and are considering taking off from there on bike, or perhaps move the trailer further south around the Florida/Georgia border.

I am aware the tropics may begin to heat up around that time in late July, but wondering in your experience how typical weather might be. I am keeping plans loose and open for this reason; I would check forecasts out a couple weeks before leaving and if it looks bad that way I would head out west for another Sturgis trip.

Any idea where I could park a truck/trailer for a week or so? I know that may be asking a lot lol.

Tips? Must see places?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:57 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Key West going to be hot in July/August and humid. It is their off-season. Good news, probably no issues getting a room or a dinner reservation. But that does not mean I coudn't be a good time, jusbe prepared for a full assault of FLORIDA Summer.

The following users liked this post:
VDeuce (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,720 Likes on 6,884 Posts

Dude that is going to be super HOT!!!!!

We ride down to Florida in December. Have done it about 9 years now. Did a week over Christmas and actually rode from Islamorada on Christmas Day to Key West. It was in the 70’s with t-shirts on.

We used to do a lot of boating events in Florida and June is miserable up in Jacksonville.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:26 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

You are welcome to park your trailer either at my place in Tenn just outside Tellico Plains or at the Largo, Florida house. They are 11 hours apart.
The Tenn house is at the beginning of world class riding. Largo is 9 hours from KW.

If it was me, I'd drop the bike and ride Tenn then trailer it to Largo and drop it again. There is nothing to see between the Tenn line and mid Florida on 75 except Atlanta traffic and cops.

It is going to be HOT in Florida!

Mikey 1450 (05-25-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 07:46 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

What you consider a hot and humid day up in Illinois will be the 4:00am before sunrise down there. Anywhere south of I-10 along the Gulf of Mexico your going to be breathing water.

Last edited by K Melancon; 05-23-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:57 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
You are welcome to park your trailer either at my place in Tenn just outside Tellico Plains or at the Largo, Florida house. They are 11 hours apart.
The Tenn house is at the beginning of world class riding. Largo is 9 hours from KW.

If it was me, I'd drop the bike and ride Tenn then trailer it to Largo and drop it again. There is nothing to see between the Tenn line and mid Florida on 75 except Atlanta traffic and cops.

It is going to be HOT in Florida!
Wow, that's a very generous offer, thank you! Still need to decide on this whole thing, but you guys have me a bit concerned about the heat/humidity lol. We've been hammered here with storm after storm for months, so trying to dry out.

Originally Posted by K Melancon
What you consider a hot and humid day up in Illinois will be the 4:00am before sunrise down there. Anywhere south of I-10 along the Gulf of Mexico your going to be breathing water.
I hear you. I know up here when we get dew points in the low 70s it's miserable; that is probably the norm and up down there.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

The Climate Prediction Center shows the southeast hotter than normal for the period June, July and August, though of course that is long range. Precip there about normal.

Then there's the west, which looks to be cooler/wetter than normal for that same period.

I may need to keep my options open and decide a few weeks out. Or flip a coin!

https://www.weather.gov/hun/climateforecast

Old 05-23-2019, 12:02 PM
atl fahrer
Cruiser

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

You've gotten plenty of comments on how hot Key West will be in July/August so I'm not going to say anything about that.

As far as parking your rig, the folks at Harley Davidson in Tifton GA allow you to park at their site. All you need to do is give them a call and confirm. I've done it several times and never had my truck or trailer molested...

VDeuce (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:17 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by atl fahrer
You've gotten plenty of comments on how hot Key West will be in July/August so I'm not going to say anything about that.

As far as parking your rig, the folks at Harley Davidson in Tifton GA allow you to park at their site. All you need to do is give them a call and confirm. I've done it several times and never had my truck or trailer molested...
That's a great tip on the HD dealer, I appreciate it!

Old 05-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

How old a Feller are you? I mean if you are real old say late 60's and up maybe the heat will get to you but a younger fella should be ok
I ride most everyday here on Floridas Suncoast at 65.
Just keep drinking and remember you're on vacation so keep your vacation face on and enjoy!

Water will be warm in KW, beer and margaritas will be cold, bring your bathing suits and sunglasses.
The warmer it is the less the lady's wear.
Mountains will be beautiful riding!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key West - Late July/Early Augst