Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First long road trip need advice

Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 PM
irish44
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default First long road trip need advice

I'm looking to do Orlando to the tail of the Dragon in September. Any advice on what type of luggage I should be looking at? What should I bring other than a few changes of clothes? Any other advice you have? I'm doing this on my 18 lowrider so it's no bagger by any stretch. Thanks for your help

Old 06-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Are you camping? Staying in Motels? Do you have a luggage rack? Sissy bar? 2up seat? Duffle bag?

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (06-06-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:06 PM
irish44
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Are you camping? Staying in Motels? Do you have a luggage rack? Sissy bar? 2up seat? Duffle bag?
I'll be in hotels, no luggage rack, yes I have a sissy bar and a 2 up seat

Old 06-03-2019, 04:10 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

Stay somewhere with laundry facilities or stop at WalMart for a change of clothes, really no kidding. Their jeans are $12.00.

Travel light and carefree.

Take all the time in the world to get there and leave work and all problems at home.

I don’t make motel reservations, that way I’m not stressed to be somewhere.

Carry a little cash.

If your single, a condom lol

The following 3 users liked this post by heritageblue2013:
crazytown (06-05-2019), fatboymike03 (06-13-2019), jeffro09 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:20 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,272 Posts

I'd get a waterproof bag that would fit nicely behind me and attach to the sissy bar. It would also second as a back rest.

I'd want rain gear. One extra pair of jeans (2 pair if there was room). Socks and unders for each day, and a couple of shirts. (odds are you'll buy a shirt or two along the way). Toothbrush, toothpaste, and not a whole lot more is really needed. If you run out of room, mail stuff home.

I like to pack new unders and socks for each day I'll be gone. Wear them once, toss them out. This makes room for things I buy along the way. It's a small expense, and nothing beats brand new socks and unders on a hot bike ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by jeffro09:
fatboymike03 (06-13-2019), road king Q (06-04-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Good rain gear. Something to prevent Monkey butt (medicated powder, like Gold Bond or Zeasorb). Rain goggles. First aid kit. Antihistamine for bee stings. Bandanas, multiple uses. Small tool kit. Rest just regular travel clothes. Don’t forget a bathing suit if your motels have a pool. Walmart great for cheap clothes, as needed, and noted by previous poster.

Last edited by Ron750; 06-03-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:51 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Stay somewhere with laundry facilities or stop at WalMart for a change of clothes, really no kidding. Their jeans are $12.00.

Travel light and carefree.

Take all the time in the world to get there and leave work and all problems at home.

I don’t make motel reservations, that way I’m not stressed to be somewhere.

Carry a little cash.

If your single, a condom lol
^^THIS! Well, except for the condom part (I'm married). I agree with what others have said about packing - light. New socks and underwear very day unless you buy some higher end socks and underwear you can wear them 2-3 days. I carry a tire plug kit and a small compressor on long trips. Tools? I have but unless you really know how to repair your bike on the side of the road , its just extra weight and space. Maybe fuses, electrical tape and a few zip ties. They take up no room and worth packing IMHO. Have a way on your bike to charge your phone as you ride. I have a phone mount in my handlebars to hold it while charging, you have GPS as long as you have a signal, tun ear buds into your helmet if you don't have a helmet headset.

More importantly is your mindset. Take everything as it comes. I've never made a reservation. Rolled into towns when the state fair was going, big conventions, power outages inland and everyone got to the coast before I did and rented rooms riding miles seeing no vacancy signs. I've never failed to find a room. Don't be afraid to talk to strangers, take the back roads, make no plans. There is barely a greater feeling in the world than being gone long enough on 2 wheels you don't know what day it is. I rush out making good time getting there (super slab it), and try to take my time getting back. That part sucks anyway, rushing back reverses all the destressing you just did. I like to return home on a Saturday and relax on Sunday before work.

The best thing about riding by yourself is stopping when you want to stop. If you want a picture of a big ball of twine, stop and take the picture. A sign for a waterfall, go see the waterfall. When you park your bike at a hotel ask if you can park it under their overhang by the front door. Most will let you. If they don't, don't feel guilty using their god towels to clean your windhshield. Oh, I do pack a small bottle of detailing spray and a microfiber towel to clean my bike a bit, hit the windshield and helmet visor. If you don't wear a helmet you will wish you had one if you find yourself in a storm, have a dark and clear tint visor.

Everything short of blood and rubber side up is not a problem but an adventure to work your way through Keep a log/journal. You'll be glad you did in a few years and so will your family in years to come. Take pics.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2wheelwanderer:
crazytown (06-05-2019), Papa G (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:18 PM
roadmutt
Supporter
Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

I’ve really come to like Ex Officio underwear and tee shirts. Wash em in the sink and they’re dry in the morning. Two or three pair and you’re good for the trip.

https://www.exofficio.com/

Old 06-03-2019, 08:31 PM
paul1970
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Pack light but dont forget rain gear or sunscreen

Old 06-04-2019, 06:07 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,669 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Rain gear...GOOD rain gear. Have a plan for when you hit heavy rain. Either plan to just wait it out, or bring good rain-riding equipment...especially a way to maintain your ability to see the road safely in a storm. Visor, goggles, etc. Cold weather riding gear. I know it feels like a stretch to think about cold weather riding when your rolling out of Orlando in September, but when you get up into the Smokies that time of year you can expect cool and wet at the same time. ( OTOH: if it's dry..it will be awesome..!!) Work out a waterproof way to carry your clothes and whatever else you take that you don't want wet.
2wheelwanderer said:
"There is barely a greater feeling in the world than being gone long enough on 2 wheels you don't know what day it is."
ABSOLUTELY TRUE. I know I'm having a great trip when I have to ask a bartender "what day is this..??"
Don't overpack. I always take more clothes than I end up wearing. Another thing I've noticed over the years...(and over 400,000 + miles on 2-wheels) is that it's no longer necessary to pack as if I'm climbing Everest, or crossing the Sahara and need to take every possible thing I might need. You can pick up pretty near anything you need along the way these days.
On the road...stay hydrated with something more than water. "Body Armour" drink is good, Gatorade, Powerade, etc.
ENJOY..!! Smile a lot...flirt with the waitresses and bartenders...who knows, one of them might ask if you want some company..(It really does happen every once in a while....)

Last edited by guido4198; 06-04-2019 at 06:09 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First long road trip need advice