Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Wisconsin Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:03 PM
RistoRap
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 05UltraBob
There is not a bad road that I ever found in northern Wisconsin. There is an intersection that the road signs spell H.O.G., but I have not found it. Have some fried cheese curds, they are yummy!

Old 06-18-2019, 03:58 PM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,670 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Going to Wisconsin..??
CHEESE CURDS..!!!
Even better:
FRIED Cheese Curds.
OMFG..!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Heritage98 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:28 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

There is the HOG intersection. That is more in the middle of the state so I will not make it there. The cheese curds are delicious I will agree. They do need to be fried though. Going through Door County we will be in Sturgeon on a Thursday night so I am hoping I can get a room without making a reservation. I am not making any reservations until the last night which is a Saturday in River Falls. I found out last year when you get close to Minneapolis in the smaller towns that you do need a reservation because everything is full

Old 06-18-2019, 06:20 PM
harleytq
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

55 is nice out of shawano if you go all the way up 55 to 32 west, towards Three lakes, there is a really cool little road called Military Road. Not really long maybe 10 miles long, but one of the most curvy, hilly roads in Wisconsin. Kinda reminds me of the Dragon. Brings you up to hwy 70, 70 has pretty nice sweapers up in that area too, for a main hwy.
Dont know if you would be headed this way but the loop up to Bayfield is always nice and around the peninsula, nice hotel at the casin in Red Cliff too.

Last edited by harleytq; 06-18-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 PM
harleytq
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go up 55, stop at Crab and Jacks, great view of the river and people white water rafting.
Like a couple other people said just about any lettered road or back road is pretty cool. Most are in good condition, every once in a while we find a rough one, but not that many.
We really like it East and South of La Crosse, really hilly and wooded, if ya get too far south and east it turns into farm land, but still pretty cool roads. Watch out for horse and buggy's though, Amish country. Speaking of La Crosse stop at Buzzard Billy's if you pass through, excellent Cajun food.
Nice up by Rhinelander, Boulder Junction, Eagle River, but like was said most of the northern area is nice
We have been to Door Co. its been a few years, I think it was said but yeah head up Bay Shore Dr. north of Sturgeon Bay, Stop in Egg Harbor, cool little town. We drove through Peninsula State Park and stopped at the light house, that was cool. Probably want to check out Cave Point County Park.

Last edited by harleytq; 06-18-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:34 AM
davey019
Road Warrior

That looks like a great idea to take 32 up to Three Lakes and take 70 over to Arbor Vitae and up to Boulder Junction. Thanks for the advice.
We plan on staying in Ashland which would be a Friday night. After this we will be going up to Bayfield and follow that over to Superior.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:33 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by davey019
https://www.mapquest.com/directions/...nter-282032017

Last year I went into upper Michigan and missed most of Wisconsin so this year I am seeing more of Wisconsin. Anybody have other tips I should stop and see or different road to take? Thank you
If you don`t visit Madison you`ll miss a lot of cool things. It`s also between two lakes with lots going on. I was there the last week of May.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Heritage98
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We just returned from Wisconsin the Lambeau Field tour and Packers museum were very good. We also stopped and got a picture of Avery's Auto on HWY 147 above Manitowoc. I agree Wisconsin was the best roads of our 12 state trip but be careful the deer were really moving last week up there.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:38 PM
davey019
Road Warrior

I guess I was thinking of bypassing Madison and staying out of the city on the first night in either Sun Prairie or Watertown?

Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

I spent 35 years riding all over that state. You've got a good route, but let me give you a few pointers from my opinion:

I would head down to Dubuque and take 151 up to Madison rather than Hwy 60. 151 goes thru some very scenic countryside and is a well paved 4-lane.
When you get to Sheboygan take LS north into Manitowoc instead of heading back out to the interstate. It connects right up to 42 anyway, and it's along Lake Michigan.
Good call on Hwy 55 into the Northwoods.
Also good calls on the Northwoods roads. You're going thru towns I grew up in (Mercer, Presque Isle). County K from Star Lake to Boulder Junction is an outstanding biker road!
If you want more great twisties just for the locals, about a half mile short of Presque Isle there's a road off to the left from Co. B called Crab Lake Road. Take that, then it's an alphabet soup of roads (Crab Lake to P, then right on K, right on W, then left on J and into Mercer)
* Fun Fact - I grew up in the yellowish/pea colored house across J from the Marathon gas station right in Mercer at the corner of Hwy 51 and J. It was white at the time. *
More local twisties - 3mi north of Mercer take a left on FF. It turns into F after about 10 miles and spits you out onto Hwy 13 in Butternut. Then take 13 north to Ashland.

Regardless, have fun! Looks like a nice little trip.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Trip