Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis & Colorado 2020 advice

Old 07-14-2019, 08:47 AM
BobbyBouche
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sturgis & Colorado 2020 advice

We have 2 weeks and weekends so the plan is to leave on a Friday and be in Sturgis Sunday early evening or afternoon. (Leaving from Northen Virginia). Many people have said go to Sturgis the week before the rally to avoid rally traffic and huge groups of people but the main drag is set up for bikes already and the bars and venues and vendors will be open (not all of course but enough for us). We have been to many bike weeks and bike events and not a big deal not seeing bands and I’m sure the people watching the week before won’t be quite as good but still fun. Our group like to see places and things we can’t get at home. Probably gonna look for a VRBO or something similar. Any ideas as far as what town or area for our 5 days in Sturgis is appreciated. Please toss ideas if anybody knows a place with cabins for rent also. Def want to see the standard Mt Rushmore...Badlands...Crazyhouse...Needles...tell me what I am missing and other must see places and things or places to eat while in Sturgis. When we leave Sturgis we are heading to Colorado and the Greeley/Loveland area and venture into the mountains. I have been out that way before and I know my riding buddies will love Colorado. We will hit the Estes, Mt Evans area and Royal Gourge. We prefer to be pretty fluid and NOT make reservations...we seem to find the most “interesting” places that way....the only worry about that is not finding anything available in the mountains. Open to staying in the ski towns so that may not even be an issue...but maybe a little pricey at times. A day to get from Sturgis to Colorado the about 4 days riding the mountains and then 4 days to get home via a southern route. Any advice and ideas of what to see....where to go....what to avoid are much appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
6113_ (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 03:18 PM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a good website with lots of information.

https://sturgis.com. Ride Needles Highway 87 first and then Iron Mountain. You want to ride Iron Mountain from south to north so you can see Mt Rushmore framed through the tunnels you will ride through.

We just got back from a week in Colorado riding the mountains. Would recommend riding from Loveland to Estes Park on Highway 34 and ride the Big Thompson Canyon. Then Rocky Mountain National Park and Trail Ridge is a must ride. If you are just staying in that area ride the peak to peak from Estes Park to Golden, Colorado. We rode the RMNP and headed south too Sadilia. Highway 50 is a scenic ride to Montrose. Then ride the Million Dollar Highway down to Durango. Can't go wrong anywhere in the Colorado Mountains.

Have fun, ride safe.

The following 3 users liked this post by harleyhusker:
01dyna (07-17-2019), 6113_ (07-15-2019), BobbyBouche (07-14-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:04 AM
Waterman1
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Here are some of my favorite roads around the area.

The following 2 users liked this post by Waterman1:
01dyna (07-17-2019), 6113_ (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:10 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterman1
Here are some of my favorite roads around the area.
We road on those routes out there. We stayed in Granby which seemingly had a lot of lodging for the ski season that was available.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

You'll have a great trip and there is plenty of great riding in both places.

Speaking candidly of Colorado - at all costs, avoid the interstates as much as possible. There is construction everywhere for starters, but beyond that, the traffic is terrible, at least on the front range - Colorado Springs - Denver - Fort Collins; and the I70 corridor from west Denver to Vail. Even if you maintain 10-12mph over the speed limit, you'll be passed on both sides. I wish I was exaggerating. I'm to the point now where I feel an inkling of luck when I've completed a ride that includes any time on the interstates here.

But, once you get onto the county/state highways, there is scenery and splendor abounding all over. Depending on time, the SW portion of Colorado is the prettiest, and likely to be least congested. The San Juan mountains offer vistas that are unmatched. Rides through towns like Creede, Lake City, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, Gunnison and the general area will not disappoint.

BobbyBouche (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I do Sturgis during the rally and camp 5 miles east of town. If you go the week before, I would think lodging would be more available and cheaper. If VRBO or motel, I would look at Spearfish or Deadwood. I would think there would be cabins available at some of the campgrounds. Just be careful where you land if you will be riding at night. Lots of critters.

I have tickets to see Joe Bonamassa August 12 at Rd Rocks in CO. Will then spend nights in Estes Park, Buena Vista, Ouray and Durango. I did the same trip four years ago during Sturgis 75. I will also do Mt Evans. Not done that before. Lots of beautiful places in CO. I like SW CO.

A lot of people just wing it on motel reservations. I make reservations as I like to know I have a place to lay my head at night in the popular touristy locations.

Enjoy.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:29 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd add Devil's Tower to your Sturgis itinerary.
You may have more fun staying in Deadwood or Hill City.
We've been several times one to two weeks before the rally.
Lots of great riding, not near as crowded.

BobbyBouche (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:33 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
BobbyBouche (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:31 PM
BobbyBouche
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been to Mount Evans before in a car I can’t wait to do it on a motorcycle.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:38 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,477 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyBouche
I have been to Mount Evans before in a car I can’t wait to do it on a motorcycle.
We go out west from the Winchester Va area every other year and have been all over Colorado, S Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona and Utah. In the beginning we would over schedule and not really get to explore the areas because we would be rushing from place to place. Colorado is amazing, you could spend 2 weeks in the mountains and not see it all. I like the southern part of Colorado the best, the San Juan mountains. The area around Loveland, Estes etc is very nice but doesn't compare to Durango/Silverton/Telluride. As far as Sturgis, seen one big rally, you've seen them all. Hill City is a nice town to stay in near rapid city and the riding is good, specially if you've never been to that part of the world before. You can go from the badlands to the black hills and see different sceneries. I haven't been to Sturgis rally itself in over 20 years, avoid that week if I ever go that way. If partying is a big part of the agenda, by all means just be careful, tons of idiots on 2 wheels there. If not, go another time. There are bars and restaurants everywhere no matter what time of year.