Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best Motorcycle Friendly Campsites

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:34 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

As I am thinking strongly about giving bike camping a try I am very interested in this topic.
My 2 cents is that look for "improved" camp grounds if you are in National Parks and such. Others are a bit rough to try and get a big HD into.
Also if you are going for something like a KOA look for a tent area. Like OP said waking up next to a big RV spitting out diesel fumes isn't my idea of fun.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:53 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Allstays Camp + Tent app loaded on my android tablet works for me . In the morning before starting my ride I'll bring up this app . I'll move the cursor to the general spot on the map where I think I will be ending my day . This will bring up all the camp spots in that area . Click on the individual camping icons and you will get pictures of the campground , reviews , address , prices and contact numbers . I then make my choice and call to make my reservation . All before breakfast . FWIW : I don't like KOA I very much prefer privately owned camp grounds .

Last edited by TheBig-O; 11-09-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:52 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheBig-O
Allstays Camp + Tent app loaded on my android tablet works for me . In the morning before starting my ride I'll bring up this app . I'll move the cursor to the general spot on the map where I think I will be ending my day . This will bring up all the camp spots in that area . Click on the individual camping icons and you will get pictures of the campground , reviews , address , prices and contact numbers . I then make my choice and call to make my reservation . All before breakfast . FWTW : I don't like KOA I very much prefer privately owned camp grounds .
I haven't seen a whole lot of private camp grounds. At least not "tent" ones. I do confess I haven't looked much, but are they common? Why also do you prefer them? Besides helping out small business (which there is nothing wrong with).

Old 11-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It seems like many of the non franchise campgrounds seem to cater to the RV crowd and don't have tent spots. The KOA is always a sure bet for a tent spot or cabin if the weather is really lousy.
I stay in a lot of state parks and it seems more and more of them have showers and most are priced better than the commercial ones. Most states have directories with the amenities of their various campgrounds as well as the ability to reserve a spot.
Out here in the west there is lots of open public land on which to camp free unless you want to be in a popular spot in which they usually have fee areas. I've also seen a fair amount of towns that have camp grounds with nice facilities in their city parks.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:27 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rathgar
It seems like many of the non franchise campgrounds seem to cater to the RV crowd and don't have tent spots. The KOA is always a sure bet for a tent spot or cabin if the weather is really lousy.
I stay in a lot of state parks and it seems more and more of them have showers and most are priced better than the commercial ones. Most states have directories with the amenities of their various campgrounds as well as the ability to reserve a spot.
Out here in the west there is lots of open public land on which to camp free unless you want to be in a popular spot in which they usually have fee areas. I've also seen a fair amount of towns that have camp grounds with nice facilities in their city parks.

That is my experience on the private owned camp grounds also. I totally understand there is much more money per square foot involved with RV's vs. tents. This is why I asked Big O why he prefers them. Wanted to see what we are missing.

Around here I have noticed more "improved" camp grounds in state parks and National Forests as well. These do carry a fee, but usually pretty inexpensive. The last one I stayed at didn't have showers but had toilets and was around $4 a night if I remember correctly. Showers were available the next camp ground over and were $1 per shower. I'm not sure how much that camp ground cost if you stayed there, but showers were included if you did.
Most of my earlier years camping I strictly did at free areas in the forests. The downfall of this is I would never try and get my Harley back in those places. I wanted solitude and the perfect way to do that is where you had to have a capable 4 wheel drive to get there.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:03 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I noticed the thread resurrection so I thought I might amend my post from 2008. T.W.O. closed in 2010 but reopened as Two Wheels of Suches.

http://twowheelsofsuches.com

Same moto camping focus but with additional cabins and amenities. Same great location 30 sec from Wolf Pen Gap rd and 2 hrs from the Dragon.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBig-O
Allstays Camp + Tent app loaded on my android tablet works for me . In the morning before starting my ride I'll bring up this app . I'll move the cursor to the general spot on the map where I think I will be ending my day . This will bring up all the camp spots in that area . Click on the individual camping icons and you will get pictures of the campground , reviews , address , prices and contact numbers . I then make my choice and call to make my reservation . All before breakfast . FWTW : I don't like KOA I very much prefer privately owned camp grounds .

I downloaded the app. It is super cool to have all that info at your fingertips right on your phone. I will get a lot of use out of this and can now find a campground anywhere in the country easily and on the fly. Thanks for sharing this info.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:51 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

KOA if they are available is great in all areas. Tent camping with all the amenities. Laundry on site is great on a bike trip.

Look for National Forest campgrounds and state parks as another cheaper alternative.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:08 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 11-10-2015, 02:23 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

I have heard that purchasing a National Park Annual Pass which is good for nearly 13 months if you time the purchase date right

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/index.html

"An Annual Pass permits entrance for two motorcycles IF the two people who sign the pass arrive at the same time on two motorcycles, regardless of the number of people on each motorcycle."

"The Annual Pass does not cover Expanded Amenity fees such as camping, boat launching, parking, special tours, special permits or ferries."

For an extended trip I think this would be a good deal to be able to visit the parks, and decide if camping is feasible without being gouged with entrance fees.

Quick Reply: Best Motorcycle Friendly Campsites