Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Road Trip of 06 - Cedar Key, FL

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 08:10 PM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Road Trip of 06 - Cedar Key, FL

I'm headed to Cedar Key, Fl on the 26th of March from Greenback, TN. Since I'm now retired with no need to hurry, I think I'll stop in Valdosta for the night, get off I-75 and take back roads the rest of the way the next day. I'm going to see an old school mate that has a clam farm there -- fish for redfish and get caught up on stuff that's happened in the 15 years since we saw each other last. I'm going to take a couple of riding buddies to show them what old West Coast Florida is like. I used to hunt wild pigs in the swamps in that part of Florida with air boats to get us in and out. Should be around 1100 miles round trip. A good start to the touring season.

I'm more exited about this than I was about going to Sturgis last year -- must be yet another sign of age.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:49 PM
navyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Road Trip of 06 - Cedar Key, FL

You can take highway 19 from Atlanta all the way to the turn off for Cedar Key. It sure beets riding down 75.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:46 AM
reefteach
Tourer

There was a guy selling his book here at the local Barnes and Noble called "The Interstate 75 Survival guide" . I talked to him about his book. His wife is from Florida so for the last 15 years he has been traveling on 75 for vacations. He picked out interesting sites along the way, none of them more than a few minutes from the interstate. It also included places to eat, gas up, sleep, etc. I enjoy riding interstates, and could use a book like that for interstate 70 going ouit west. Anyway, it seemed like a neat idea, and something you might benefit from.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:28 AM
rountree
Cruiser

I live in Lenox, GA, about 30 miles north of Valdosta on 75. There is a lot of construction here in Cook County on 75 and the stretch from Exit 39 to the Cook/Lowndes County line is pretty rough. I would suggest getting off before Exit 39 (I live at Exit 49) and take US 41 down to Hahira, then jump back on 75.

This route will take you right by South Georgia Motorsport Park. We just had a great AMA Prostar event the weekend before Bikeweek.

I have a friend with a B&B out in the country near Adel. If your interested I can find a link to her site. I'm sure they are biker friendly and I have never had a bad meal at her place!

Good luck with the ride. We just rode down to Gainesville for the Gatornational qualifying Saturday and it was perfect weather and a beautiful ride.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:39 PM
DragonNester
Tourer

Thanks for the road work update! It's great to have a nat'l network to help optimize the adventure. We're getting a late start Sunday, so we'll probably only make it to the Cordele or Tifton area the first day instead of Valdosta. If that's is the case and with a rough section of I-75, we'll just start the back roads portion of the ride at that point missing Valdosta all together. As some suggested, get off I-75 early.
ORIGINAL: rountree

I live in Lenox, GA, about 30 miles north of Valdosta on 75. There is a lot of construction here in Cook County on 75 and the stretch from Exit 39 to the Cook/Lowndes County line is pretty rough. I would suggest getting off before Exit 39 (I live at Exit 49) and take US 41 down to Hahira, then jump back on 75.

This route will take you right by South Georgia Motorsport Park. We just had a great AMA Prostar event the weekend before Bikeweek.

I have a friend with a B&B out in the country near Adel. If your interested I can find a link to her site. I'm sure they are biker friendly and I have never had a bad meal at her place!

Good luck with the ride. We just rode down to Gainesville for the Gatornational qualifying Saturday and it was perfect weather and a beautiful ride.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:03 PM
rountree
Cruiser

GDOT is also widening 75 around Ashburn, just below Cordele so I wouldn't ride that at night. As navyman mentioned, 19 is a good ride. You could take 300 from Cordele over to Albany and hit 19 south. Watch the signs as you get into Albany as you have to take a right just past Miller Brewery to jut over to 19.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:11 AM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

I agree. Take 19. Also...since you are in no rush....take 98 west along the coast. Stop for a bit in apalachcola. That is the best costal ride in florida.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:48 AM
rountree
Cruiser

98 is a great ride with all the coast views and the bridges at Apalachacola. My sis has a house at St. George Island and I learned an interesting lesson last fall; when venturing out with no helmet and no windshield I learned that for some reason butterflies: thousands of butterflies: congregate on the bridges of the bay. It was like playing dodgeball with a whole team throwing ping pong *****

Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
DragonNester
Tourer

I think we're going to go with this plan and get off the interstate at Cordele. Also, a Monday departure is looking to be the best weather wise. Only two of us so far are up for the trip. One other is undecided, but that's the way he always is 'til the last minute! I think it makes him feel special -- I guess he is.

My wfe and I already did the Forgotten Coast (hwy 98 St. Marks to Port St. Joe) a couple of years ago. That was a great ride for those who don't want busy beaches.

Thanks to all for your help.
ORIGINAL: rountree

GDOT is also widening 75 around Ashburn, just below Cordele so I wouldn't ride that at night. As navyman mentioned, 19 is a good ride. You could take 300 from Cordele over to Albany and hit 19 south. Watch the signs as you get into Albany as you have to take a right just past Miller Brewery to jut over to 19.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:35 AM
FreedmRider
Road Captain

Dragon,

Sounds like it's going tobe a great trip. Don't forget to post some pic's. They help us folks who are still snowed in keep our sanity.